Singapore Expats Forum

EPEC Weird Problem

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Oncier

EPEC Weird Problem

Postby Oncier » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 7:08 pm

Hello,

I have applied for an EPEC, and am a Master Graduate from a recognized university in the MOM list of universities. After I submitted my application, I was requested to upload my documents, and after a few days I got a message to resubmit my degree documents. When I go to the resubmit page, the message I have there says : "Please upload the original degree certificate".

Problem is, the document I submitted in the first place is the scan of my diploma which states "...is conferred the degree of Master of Science..." and is signed by the board of examineers from a recognized university by the MOM...so I'm wondering, what do they want exactly to prove my Master's Degree.

I also have an extra document proof, which states everything I did during my master education, the rules of the university, how the credits work, etc, etc, but that is 7 pages long, and its hard to fit into a 150kb JPG file.

Also, in case I do get the EPEC, with all these delays, and since I have already bought my ticket to Singapore, it might be that the EPEC only arrives by mail, after I left for Singapore...is there anyway to get it upon arriving at Singapore, or do I have to apply for a short stay visit pass, and then have my family resend the EPEC back to me in Singapore?

Meanwhile, I have also searched for alternatives to the EPEC, in order to search for a job locally in Singapore, and the only other choice is to use the 30 day social visit pass, and then extend it 30 more days if they allow (90 day extension is only if I have family ties with PR or citizens which I do not)...is there any other option, because I am afraid two months might be a very short time frame to find a job.

Thanks for the help!

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 10 Aug 2009 2:10 pm

My suggestion would be to give MOM a call.

Did you upload you undergrad degree? If you have a Masters they might also want to see your bachelor. Try uploading that in the meantime if you haven't already.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Re: EPEC Weird Problem

Postby IronMac » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 4:54 pm

Oncier wrote:
Problem is, the document I submitted in the first place is the scan of my diploma which states "...is conferred the degree of Master of Science..." and is signed by the board of examineers from a recognized university by the MOM...so I'm wondering, what do they want exactly to prove my Master's Degree.

lgm is correct, you should give them a call or email them.

Oncier wrote:
I also have an extra document proof, which states everything I did during my master education, the rules of the university, how the credits work, etc, etc, but that is 7 pages long, and its hard to fit into a 150kb JPG file.

Trust me, they won't ask for this because they don't care about this.

Oncier wrote:
Also, in case I do get the EPEC, with all these delays, and since I have already bought my ticket to Singapore, it might be that the EPEC only arrives by mail, after I left for Singapore...is there anyway to get it upon arriving at Singapore, or do I have to apply for a short stay visit pass, and then have my family resend the EPEC back to me in Singapore?

Won't you have 30 days upon arrival and then you can apply for a 30 days' extension?

Oncier

Postby Oncier » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 7:18 pm

Yes IronMac, I believe I should be okay with the short visit pass while I don't have the EPEC...I was just worried that since they send the EPEC to a foreign country you had to enter Singapore with it, but I don't think that is the case, so I should be okay.

Meanwhile I called them, and I don't think the guy that picked up really knew what was the problem. He just asked me to reupload the document, which is weird, due tot he document being there already (you can check).

Anyway I reuploaded under a different file name...originally I called it diploma.jpg, and now degree_certificate.jpg, since there is a clear distinction in Singapore. While I have a master's degree, the document is called traditionally a diploma, so that might've been the confusion.

We'll see now what happens, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 8:25 pm

Oncier wrote:...While I have a master's degree, the document is called traditionally a diploma, so that might've been the confusion...

True and not true. You are actually right that this is the correct word for the certificate but in Singapore there is a qualification called a diploma which is a three year course thought in the local polytechnics which are somewhere between a-levels and a bachelor degree. These are what the locals think of when they hear diploma.

Oncier

Postby Oncier » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 5:45 pm

Hello,

I just got my EPEC approved. Now I need to submit for the Long Term Visit Pass. I want to do this online, but on the ICA it says you need a form signed by a local sponsor (SG or PR)...is this true? I thought with EPEC you were cleared to head to SG and search for a job. This is a problem because I'm going there to live with my girlfriend, but she's only on an employment pass, and that doesn't qualify foes it?
Also, since I will only receive my EPEC in 3 weeks, and I can use the short visit pass meanwhile when I arrive there, its best to only apply for the Long Term Visit Pass, after I get the EPEC approval letter and am sure it didnt get lost in the mail right?

Thanks in advance

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 9:37 pm

I don't think you need a local sponsor if you have an approved EPEC. Best thing is to call ICA tomorrow morning, actually they are less busy on Tuesday to Thursday.

(Now I am just waiting for that buzzer until either SMS or SE tell me that I am wrong and you need a local sponsor).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:37 pm

On the contrary, I concur 100%! :P

The following taken from the ICA website.....

Documents Required
For Online Applications via e-VP
Holder of foreign issued educational certificate is required to obtain the Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC) from Ministry of Manpower and submit his/her application via e-VP

Note: A local sponsor and Form V39I are not required for applicants holding the Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC).

Oncier

Postby Oncier » Sat, 15 Aug 2009 5:45 am

haha, perfect! thanks

one last question, since I will only have the long term visit pass after I reach SG, do you think there will be a problem with my return ticket from SG being only in June 2010?

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Sat, 15 Aug 2009 3:49 pm

Won't be a problem because you have your LTSVP as opposed to a tourist visa. Don't think the onward ticket is required on an LTSVP.

Oncier

Postby Oncier » Sat, 15 Aug 2009 6:51 pm

yes, but shouldnt i apply for the LTVP only after I am already in singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Aug 2009 7:57 pm

So get an onward ticket to Bangkok that way it doesn't cost too much. Matter of fact, after you get the LTSVP take a weekend flight to BKK to use the ticket and enjoy the first of probably much travel throughout the region.

:cool:

Oncier

Postby Oncier » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 7:23 am

Sorry to keep bothering you but I still have a few doubts :D

-Should I apply for the LTSVP now? or wait until I have the EPEC? cause the e-VP online application for LTSVP asks me for the EPEC issue date, and I assume that might not be the same date as the one where it was approved.
-Arriving in Singapore with the EPEC (without the LTSVP) is enough for them not to ask about a onward ticket?

Thanks

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 8:50 am

Oncier wrote:Sorry to keep bothering you but I still have a few doubts :D

-Should I apply for the LTSVP now? or wait until I have the EPEC? cause the e-VP online application for LTSVP asks me for the EPEC issue date, and I assume that might not be the same date as the one where it was approved.
That is one and the same. Date of approval is date of issue of the EPEC
-Arriving in Singapore with the EPEC (without the LTSVP) is enough for them not to ask about a onward ticket?
One would think so and as many will tell you, they never got asked for an onward ticket. I am the only who was asked for it and that was in Brisbane by some Qantas stuff. So you really are worrying about nothing important. If you really want to be on the safe side then call ICA and ask or just buy a cheap ticket on Tiger to Phuket or Bangkok or wherever is cheapest.
Thanks

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:32 am

One other thing, make sure to extend your short term visitor's pass for as long a period as you can. Do NOT count on your LTSVP application being processed and approved within the four weeks that ICA says on their website. In my case, it took seven weeks, two phone calls and emails back and forth with them before it was approved.