Singapore Expats Forum

Where to buy business suits for women in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jp900

Where to buy business suits for women in Singapore?

Postby jp900 » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 5:00 pm

Tried Zara etc, but they have weird stuff. Many brands have winter clothing which means they are tourist targeted. Any ideas where I can find good classy (but conservative; no weird designer stuff) suits for slim women?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 6:28 pm

have you try taka?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 6:45 pm

Assuming this isn't the precipice to an ad, if you'd like to tell us what kind of fabric and style you are after then I am sure my good lady wife, Ms. C, will be able to point you in the right direction.

HTH, Mr. P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 7:28 pm

Try ebay my wife is ebaying a dozen richard james fabric tailor made business suits, some have not been worn!! (women for you).

Try Paul Smith in the Hilton

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 8:15 pm

My wife is a fan of G2000. So am I actually, just that neither there trousers nor their shirts really fit a 6'7" Ang Mo. Another one of the wife's favourites was NAFNAF in Vivo.

jp900

Postby jp900 » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:13 am

Thanks. Of course tried Takashimaya. Any brand in particular?

No this is not an ad. What nonsense is that?

So:

1. Paul Smith in Hilton (he makes some pretty Margaret Thatcher type suits, but noted)

2. NAFNAF in Vivocity

3. G2000, which has some purple crap going on at the moment

Anything else? I am looking for whatever is a four seasons fabric. Not wool, not linen. Usual women's suits fabric: cotton I suppose?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:24 am

Just get it made at the local tailors, in some cases cheaper than buying off the shelf

jp900

Postby jp900 » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 8:34 am

Dont have the time for tailors, fabric selection, etc. A place like Singapore should certainly have some designers (both local and global) selling suits. Hong Kong, Bangkok, KL, Tokyo etc all have super collections.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Where to buy business suits for women in Singapore?

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:53 am

jp900 wrote:Tried Zara etc, but they have weird stuff. Many brands have winter clothing which means they are tourist targeted. Any ideas where I can find good classy (but conservative; no weird designer stuff) suits for slim women?

I noticed that Zara and Mango have longer pants, which is good for tall girls like me. G2000 clothes don't seems to fit very well.

I generally prefer Zara but you have to look at their classic collection to avoid the weird stuff. Try the Zara next to Wheelock place. Its a bigger branch so it has a bigger variety, etc. Of course you can try Mango as well.

Alternatively, you can try Blum & Co? They have quite a few boutiques, a few in Raffles Place, one in Cityhall, etc. They have quite a good variety of business suit for ladies, and most design comes in few pieces (so you wont be wearing the same identical G2000 suit to the lady standing next to you on a train!). If I am not wrong, they offer free alternation as well.

For bigger size clothes, CK Tang is a good option.

For dresses, there is this shop at OUB Center, 3rd floor (just next to the escalator). They have pretty decent dresses at times and few pieces for each design. I don't remember the name, but their dresses are hang outside, right next to the escalator.

Good luck! I know it can be difficult for girls to shop for clothes.

Azra

Re: Where to buy business suits for women in Singapore?

Postby Azra » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 2:13 am

jp900 wrote:Tried Zara etc, but they have weird stuff. Many brands have winter clothing which means they are tourist targeted. Any ideas where I can find good classy (but conservative; no weird designer stuff) suits for slim women?

Go to People's Park near Chinatown MRT. There are lots of business suits for women there. Good prices too!!! Check it out!

pm1901

Postby pm1901 » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 3:52 pm

you could try club marc as well....pretty decent and good value for money...

Cheers
Sanjay

jp900

Postby jp900 » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:25 pm

Where is club marc?

pm1901

Postby pm1901 » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 6:13 pm

The clubmarc stores are in vivocity, clarkequay...not sure about the other locations .....

you could use a search engine (google, yahoo) to find their store locations...

Cheers.

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Postby madura » Sun, 06 Sep 2009 5:50 pm

QRM wrote:Just get it made at the local tailors, in some cases cheaper than buying off the shelf

hi, where is your tailor located? need a recommendation thanks!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 5:44 pm

madura wrote:
QRM wrote:Just get it made at the local tailors, in some cases cheaper than buying off the shelf

hi, where is your tailor located? need a recommendation thanks!

Use the search function near the top right corner, tailor recommendations have cropped up a number of times in the past.

We often go to:

Just tailors at golden horse shoe carpark for suits.
Mode o day at tanglin shopping centre for ladies dresses
Victor York in boat quay for more "fashion" suits.