Singapore Expats Forum

update on driving fine!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

update on driving fine!

Postby ksl » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:50 pm

A couple of weeks back I was fined 150$ for being in the bus lane, I decided to appeal on the grounds, that i was forced into the lane. Because I had just turned left into the filtering lane, i stopped before going in the bus lane, but the peak traffic refused to let me in and was going to fast, for me to nudge my way in.

I think the bus that approached me probably took a photo with his mobile phone after i drove into the bus lane, to avoid obstructing the bus, I could have sat there until some traffic lights changed, although i would have delayed the bus.

Anyway what i did, was what all military drivers are trained to do, make a diagram showing all vehicle movement and me stopped at the filter lane, until the bus forced me to enter the bus lane, and peak traffic not allowing me to enter the lane.

They dropped the fine altogether, I have no idea if it was the diagram or the explanation, but it was obvious to see, that i had no choice, either block the bus, or drive into the lane so the bus would not be late.

Driving the APV Suzuki 6 seater vehicle, just doesn't have the pulling power, to avoid traffic approaching from behind, the way Singaporeans drive, it needs a good 30 seconds to get to 50km an hour, to filter into traffic. What a relief! So it does pay to appeal.

Also 2 of our drivers have had 300$ fines, for throwing cigarette butts, which they deserve, told them before about it!

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Re: update on driving fine!

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:28 am

ksl wrote:They dropped the fine altogether, I have no idea if it was the diagram or the explanation,

It was most likely just to shut you up and get rid of you :mrgreen: :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:44 pm

:lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: update on driving fine!

Postby ksl » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 1:21 pm

Jeppo wrote:
ksl wrote:They dropped the fine altogether, I have no idea if it was the diagram or the explanation,

It was most likely just to shut you up and get rid of you :mrgreen: :cool:
:lol: :lol: at least i'm 150$ better off! :wink:

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Fri, 07 Aug 2009 2:57 am

It is possible to get some leniency . . .

. . . for the first time, that is. :P

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:03 am

I was also pleasently surprised by the traffic police, I got a bit enthusiastic on my Bike (Motorbike) and got caught by a speed camera. Got a letter from them saying they had caught me, time, speed and place. But they just issued a warning and said it would stay on record for 1 year and be taken into account if I got caught again. Never happened in UK or USA - Just got the ticket and the fines.