Singapore Expats Forum

Do you know anyone who might foster my dogs for a while?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Ednosh

Do you know anyone who might foster my dogs for a while?

Postby Ednosh » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 3:59 pm

Hello folks

I have recently lost my job and I am forced to move out of my house where I live with my family and three dogs.

I can stay in Singapore for a few months with a friend in a condo, until I find work, but cannot take the dogs with me.

I am looking for someone who will foster a dog for a few months until either I am able to move into a suitable home myself, or can take the dogs to the UK with me once they have served their 6 month post rabies blood test should i not find employment.

I dont expect anyone to take all three, they will be quite happy if not relived to be separated for a while.

I have posted an ad in the classified, I am hoping this message will reach more people.

OH, I need to find a foster home for them within 1 week!!!

here is a link to the add.

http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/showproduct.php?product=112859

thanks very much

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 4:34 pm

aw i am tempted to take ur dog but..i live in the HDB and my sis will kill me if we have another one as we already hav a labrador lol

i hope u find homes for them soon.

sassy5
Regular
Regular

Postby sassy5 » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 5:02 pm

hi Ednosh

ive been considering to adopt a dog but am not sure if i can handle it. used to have 2 cats in the house til they passed on recently. im an animal lover for sure. would love to help u house one of ur dogs.

im currently out of job too, will be starting my new job next month. would definitely need u to finance the dog if i would to foster care for u. ;)

letz chat more.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:57 am

This is the saddest situation i have seen for a long time, and I hope a wake up call, to those that put their ego's first, rather than their children. I sincerely believe that dogs very prone to psychological problems, because they rely on their masters more than anything.
People just do not understand the dogs mentality and the social structure they are allocated, I learned this with my 3.5 year old lurcher which i was forced to give away, after my divorce, because i was a serving soldier. The dog literally refused to eat and eventually died of a broken heart.

The dog i talk about also came from a refuge and had to be nursed back to health, I was 16 years old and racing him once a week, but after i went in the military my mum kept writing and telling me, the dog was so sad, so I took him into the army life with me, but sadly I divorced and things all changed.

My daughter wants a dog and I have to refuse, because the death of my dog, was a failure on my part and our life is not stable enough. I personally put a dogs life well above any humans, when it comes to loyalty. A cat on the other hand is indifferent and a sociable animal, but it does have 6th sense and will react to feelings and sadness but most of all its home is territorial, like a dog.

Many owners of pets would never understand unless they become fine tuned to the animals way of life not many do.

I have owned legally an Owl, and several Hare's that had been mutilated by farm machinery, when o phoned the Vet, he said he would just put it to sleep, although I cauterised the amputation, because a broken open wound leg couldn't be repaired by myself, the only alternative was to remove it. My lurcher dog actually carried this animal back to me, after I had trained him not to kill.

The most strangest thing I have experienced was when the hare, came into the house, jumped on the sofa, and started to lick my hands, and my lurcher dog was sat there watching, it would settle in front of the colour TV and just sit watching the colours, it was more like a cat, and had its own programming, although my dog licked its lips occasionally, he understood never to hurt, so to watch them both race around the garden, was something I hold special to myself.

The saying goes, that witches, turned themselves into hares' to avoid capture, In the Lancashire Witch hunts back in time! Many innocent victims have been executed just like dogs and other animals by humans, and it will just carry on that way until people are educated. A sad old world we live in, if you are on the same wavelength...and Farmers too have their favorites.

We have also hatched chicks in the oven, how i envy SMS in retirement

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 8:26 am

what breeds or sizes are your 3 dogs?

Ednosh

Postby Ednosh » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 9:02 am

2 boxers and 1 lab, the link in the original post takes you to an ad where there are photos and some info on each dog.

Ednosh

Postby Ednosh » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 9:22 am

Hi Sassy5

I dont have enough posts to send a PM!! My contact details are on the ad, you find that by following the link on the original post. Would appreciate if you could get in touch with me.

thanks

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 12:27 am

difficult situation, and i feel for you, and the dogs. if you get desperate, why don't you get in touch with a place like K9 Kulture at turf city and see if they can board them until you find foster homes. obviously it will cost you some money, but you also have to do the right thing by the dogs. wish i cld help, and we have a dog, but landlord has strictly said one only.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 1:20 am

Let me find out the rules in HDB and I'll ask the wife, we have a regular cat, that we used to own, but when we moved to HDB cats were not allowed, we had her spayed and she is also not afraid of the labrador upstairs. She's still a guest of ours, we leave the window open and she comes to eat every day and have a shower every 3 to 4 months she is very territorial and only protects our area. I can whistle and she comes every time, this cat is tuned in, which can be a little erie, a well trained dog will not bother it. My lurcher i trained not to kill, but to carry and one day it came back with a 3 legged hair in it's mouth, they lived in harmony for over a year before I let the hair lose. I had to remove the leg, that had been mashed in a harvesting machine, but more than confident the hair was happy to survive and to watch it cuddle up with the dog, was something else inside the house, because it lived in the garden.

She has a better life than i do and is better fed too :) My girl would like her own dog, but i refused because i am a lover of dogs especially lurchers, in the north of UK we race them illegally in the 60's but believe me, these dogs get better treatment then spouses. :oops: It's a real traumatic time to be separated

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 1:40 am

hm we live in an hdb...but its not allowed but we have a dog. we had an agreement with the owner that we can keep the dog as long as no one complains. there are also other big dogs in our bldg. so the neighbors are ok with it.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 2:04 am

ksl, there is no need to see if you can find out the rules. Only toy and small breeds are allowed in HDB flats. Cats are not allowed at all. (not saying there aren't, but what's allowed. I had both a large dog and a small calico cat at the same time (they were inseparable). The following just to make life easier.......

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10209p.nsf ... enDocument

HDB allows only one dog of an approved breed in each HDB flat. Flat owner who does not follow the HDB Animal Rules shall be guilty and be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding S$4,000/.

Cats are not allowed to be kept in HDB flats as they are difficult to be confined within the flats. The nuisances caused by cats such as shedding of fur, defecating/urinating in public areas, noise disturbance etc would affect the environment and neighbourliness in our housing estates. In view of this, HDB has the policy of not allowing cats to be kept in HDB flats

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 4:37 pm

ksl wrote:... and she is also not afraid of the labrador upstairs. .

Are you neighbours with Ms LOL?

I would love to help but we are 2 working people and will have no one to look after them in the day. HTH look around and let you know
Just me

DazzleBabe

Tsunamiw4ve

Postby Tsunamiw4ve » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:08 pm

Actually... in my honest opinion. HDB law on Banning cats is a silly law. Not practical & very frankly .. unfair !

In truth, HDB should put out regulations for keeping cats.
For example,

1) Make sure cats are vaccinated & micro chipped.
2) Make sure female cats are spayed & male cats are neutered.
3) Keep your cats indoors.

Cats are very clean creatures. Sleep about 70% of the time. Are less aggressive when they are spayed or/and neutered. Do not need to walk a cat. They can be trained to urinate in the sand litter bin.

Most people in Singapore live in HDB. Also i believe most malays do not mind to adopt cats since it's considered a clean animal according to their faith.

This will curb the growing population of unwanted cats wandering below HDB blocks.

sgplush

Postby sgplush » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:17 am

agreed on the cats ruling. - but does hdb closes one eye, as i've seen some of my neighbours rearing them at home?