Singapore Expats Forum

Drunk driving in the US. Work permit?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

andrewlondon

Drunk driving in the US. Work permit?

Postby andrewlondon » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 1:24 pm

I received a drunk driving about 3 years ago. Do you guys think my work permit will be denied? even though I already got the job? it was in the us and I am from the Uk.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Andy,

while non of us here can really answer this question, if you are really applying for a work permit then I have a hunch that it might not go through. For EP you have a high income and they are more willing to ignore certain things. For work permit however I am not so sure as most likely you will not "contribute much" in taxes etc.

In the end you will have to wait and see though. On the upside though it might be easier these days to get a work permit than an EP.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 3:30 pm

I doubt seriously DUI's will cause any problems unless you killed somebody while driving. I had a DWI as well before I came to Singapore but it never caused me any problems (course that was a long, long time ago).

Actually I think he's talking about a Employment Pass. As as Brit he would have a very hard time trying to get a Work Permit. WP's are normally only given to people from the following Countries: Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Macau, Hong Kong & Myanmar.

Lots of people don't realize there is a difference between a work permit and an employment pass (technically there isn't, but you know Singapore, they have their own definitions of words that quite often don't fly in the rest of the world.) Goo example is Eurasian. Singapore only recognizes Eurasian for those with Malacca/Portuguese descent where the rest of the world uses it in the proper manner. Good example are my two kids who's IC's state that they are Caucasian's with their kopi-susu complexions! :roll:

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 3:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually I think he's talking about a Employment Pass. As as Brit he would have a very hard time trying to get a Work Permit. WP's are normally only given to people from the following Countries: Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Macau, Hong Kong & Myanmar.

Lots of people don't realize there is a difference between a work permit and an employment pass (technically there isn't, but you know Singapore, they have their own definitions of words that quite often don't fly in the rest of the world.) Goo example is Eurasian. Singapore only recognizes Eurasian for those with Malacca/Portuguese descent where the rest of the world uses it in the proper manner. Good example are my two kids who's IC's state that they are Caucasian's with their kopi-susu complexions! :roll:

Yeah that Eurasian bit cracks me up time and again. The term caucasian itself is still baffling me. A US court ruling in 1965 actually stated that (Asian) Indians are Caucasians while on the other hand scientific studies on genomes showed that "caucasian" does not exist. Maybe they should just use white instead like in Britain. Thus I put on my IC application form under race: white. Will be curious to see what the ICA person says in a months time (Pls note my objection to classifying people by race in the first place).

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 4:56 pm

littlegreenman wrote: Thus I put on my IC application form under race: white.

How can you put 'white' if you're a little green man??? :o

They'll see through your little game really quickly . . . be warned!

'nuff said Image

andrewlondon

Postby andrewlondon » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:08 am

Hey guys, My mistake is an employment pass for an internship. I just turned 23. So not that much money yet!.. lol

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:02 pm

Ah, a training pass. Okay, different kettle of fish. I doubt if a DUI will pose any problem.

Either this one:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

or this one:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _Pass.html

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 2:58 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
littlegreenman wrote: Thus I put on my IC application form under race: white.

How can you put 'white' if you're a little green man??? :o

They'll see through your little game really quickly . . . be warned!

Got point. Guess the fact that I am 6'7" sort of contradicts the little as well.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 3:23 pm

SO!

You call yourself green, yet are not green

You call yourself little, yet are not little

ergo sum:

You call yourself man and the assumption must be made that you are not a man.

Geez,a 6'7 woman . . . Umm . . . do you play basketball? :?

'nuff said Image

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 4:58 pm

*looking down and checking what's in the trousers => man for sure*

The questions I hear most often in life:

1. How tall are you?
6'7" or 200cm

2. Do you play basketball?
:roll: Nope

3. Then you must play volleyball?
:x Nope

4. (This is a special one among Singaporeans only, no idea why) Then you must be a runner!
:mad: Come on man, just because you aren't even 6ft tall doesn't mean that you automatically like hiding under the bed, does it?