Singapore Expats Forum

Is it appropriate?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

OK to wear in Singapore?

Yes
40%
No
60%
Only when it rains
No votes

Total votes: 10

nfinitefx

Is it appropriate?

Postby nfinitefx » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 1:26 am

I will be moving to Singapore soon for a few months. I was just wondering what Singaporeans would think about looking at someone, guys or girls (I'm a guy), who wear rubber boots daily in public. I hear that it rains quite often in Singapore and I'm used to wearing rubber boots daily where I am. I'm not talking about those construction boots but Hunter Boots as pictured below. Is this common in Singapore? I'm considering to wear it daily as well in Singapore. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ImageImage

ImageImage

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 1:57 am

But I doubt if you will wear them long. with 90 F and 95% humidity you will have foot rot in no time flat. But other than that, we have a lot of rather stupid people over here that will wear all kinds of crap not made for the tropic. One more won't make that much difference. :cool:

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 6:49 am

Will be easy to get off after all the sweating. Sure I have seen something like these in the nightclubs, LOL. Sure your not a sales rep?
Be Like Water

nfinitefx

Postby nfinitefx » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 9:46 am

hahaha no not a sales rep. hmm... gets quite hot here as well but without the humidity. i guess just give it a shot and see how people react?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 1:38 pm

People won't react at all. They really don give a crap. Hell, a local entertainer made a very popular comedic character based on a local contractor wearing yellow rubber wellies. So if you don't mind being compared to a local joke and that's your shtick. Go for it. You might get some sniggers though.

Baf, I though the first think originally but as he hasn't posted any brand names, and the just the fact that he's got a rubber fetish, I decided to see where it would go. :wink:

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 2:32 pm

Rubber boots in the tropics! :shock: Blimey, I thought polyester trousers were uncomfortable enough. :?

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 3:36 pm

I think the theory is there, but as mentioned it is just too darn hot for anything along those lines – it makes me feel hot just looking at those pics, and not in a fetish way either – in an sweaty way.

However, if it works for you, as I said the theory is good...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 4:34 pm

Think those might be useful in let's say the Shaw Center cinema or maybe IMC medical center where it's freaking freezing - but anywhere else you'll be hating them b/c of the humidity!! I can't even imagine the mold on the rubber... beware if you store them they'll probably fall apart.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 5:06 pm

Your feet will start boiling within 10 seconds in those. And people would look at you like you are from outer space. Having said that, as long as you are comfortable wearing them, go ahead mate. I wouldn't though.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Grumpy77 » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 6:29 pm

I agree with cbavasi, the humidity will eat the rubber if you don't wear them very regularly. If it kills bike tires, it will kill your boots. Ah, the price to be fashionable...

nfinitefx

Postby nfinitefx » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for the comments and replies! No, no rubber fetish here. I guess I just found it comfortable and no need to worry when it rains. I'll give it a shot and if it starts to feel uncomfortable, can always change to a different shoes. :) Just trying to get a preview what people reaction is gonna be since I think it varies from one place to another.

nfinitefx

Postby nfinitefx » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 6:34 pm

More reason for me to wear them to preserve the rubber :D

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 8:10 am

people get their feet wet all the time in singapore during the rain, hence shorts and sandals. personally, rubber boots will be OTT. if you still want to wear boots, get a gore-tex waterproof boots.

nfinitefx

Postby nfinitefx » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 8:34 am

Can you explain why rubber boots is OTT?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 8:47 am

Didn't you bother to read all the replies? :???:

When it rains it's usually a deluge and last a short while. Within 30 minutes it's as hot and humid and steamy as it was before the rains. The only difference is your feet will be stinky, smelly, sweaty before AND after it rains and probably just as wet as if you didn't wear any boots at all. But, by all means, don't let that stop you, there are ah lian's here who wear thigh-highs and hot pants when there's nothing hot about 'em at all but who cares? Nobody.

Return to “General Discussions”