Singapore Expats Forum

Refund for faulty clothing?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Refund for faulty clothing?

Postby Thaiclan » Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:10 pm

Hi, I bought an item of clothing from an international store in Vivo. That night whilst wearing the item it broke. I couldn't make it to the store the next day but I called ahead to let them know what happened and that I will be going there tomorrow to get a refund.
As usual in Singapore they gave me the "oh we do not offer refunds". Does anyone know what the law/regulations here in Singapore are for faulty clothing?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:34 am

If the tags were removed and it was worn, you are probably out of luck. If the tags are still on it, long as you still have proof of purchase, you might have a case in the better stores but not if the tags are removed.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Thaiclan » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:00 am

They refunded no problem, which was great as I anticipated some wrangling. Apparently it is similar to UK and if an item is faulty whether it has been worn or not the buyer is entitled to a full refund. However most places will not offer a cash refund so its something to keep in mind before using cash to purchase stuff.
I know in the UK shoes are supposed to last 3 months and clothes 60 days after which a faulty refund cannot be received. Anyone know what the exact regulations for Singapore consumers are?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:09 am

I think you got lucky. I'm not sure there are any "regulations" here other than caveat emptor. Sounds like you were at a good store, unlike the majority here. Wasn't Tangs or Robinson's was it? Both have the very good reputations in Singapore for customer service (in fact, they are the only two that I've ever heard praise and experienced it myself in).

Most here seem to depend on the fact that lots of purchases are from tourists so don't really worry as they figure they'll be gone in 3 days (the actually average stay in Singapore by tourists).

Nice to know that there are a few good shops here. Maybe they are learning.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Thaiclan » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:11 am

The store I bought was from Bebe in Vivo City. They were very helpful, offered to send the item to a tailors to get fixed but I said I didn't want that so they refunded me no probs :-)

seemak

Postby seemak » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 2:56 pm

i should b not possible if you used the product. and if you never use the product then you can might b possible to exchange.
be true your self

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:19 pm

If something's faulty which it clearly is if it falls apart after one wearing, it should be refunded or exchanged. There is a Sale of Goods Act in Singapore, which is something most people don't seem to know. Whether tags are attached, it's been worn or whatever is only relevant if you've changed your mind and the store is doing you a favour in taking it back eg Marks & Spencer. If it's faulty, different story. Remember the woman who took on Nokia over her faulty phone and won? Consumers do have rights, just that many stores with poor customer service try to bully people into giving up.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:49 pm

So you get knee walking commode hugging drunk in Zouk and puke your guts out on the curb and in the process of tripping and stumbling all over the place you bust the shoulder straps of your 'little black dress' on the first night you wear it, you reckon you should get your money back? I mean, clearly it's faulty right?

How to prove?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:06 am

Thaiclan wrote:They refunded no problem, which was great as I anticipated some wrangling. Apparently it is similar to UK and if an item is faulty whether it has been worn or not the buyer is entitled to a full refund. However most places will not offer a cash refund so its something to keep in mind before using cash to purchase stuff.
I know in the UK shoes are supposed to last 3 months and clothes 60 days after which a faulty refund cannot be received. Anyone know what the exact regulations for Singapore consumers are?
Many International brands will allow 7 days, but no refund on sale items, only exchange. Most sales assistans may not know the procedures, or just cannot be bothered!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So you get knee walking commode hugging drunk in Zouk and puke your guts out on the curb and in the process of tripping and stumbling all over the place you bust the shoulder straps of your 'little black dress' on the first night you wear it, you reckon you should get your money back? I mean, clearly it's faulty right?

How to prove?

Actually, the locals are very fond of doing similar (and I also know it happens in the US as well) of buying a dress, keeping the tags on it but hidden by a scarf/broach or some other means and then returning it to the store a day or two later. Only difference is here it's harder to get anything done legally so the stores just say screw you, if you insist, you can exchange it but no refunds. Smartest thing to do in my opinion.