Singapore Expats

Ran out of recipes.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
kiss_snowhite

Ran out of recipes.

Post by kiss_snowhite » Wed, 13 Oct 2004 5:15 pm

Hello there!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic but I'm just curious and hoping that I can get some responds from you people out there. Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm looking out for some advises or tips from parents regarding about proper food that I need to feed my son. I was told that sweet drinks or sweet snacks are no good for kids as these will only increase their sugar level and intend to make them more active. Is this true? My boy are 3 yrs and very hyper-active. I was also told that I should watch his diet. My son is not fat. He's tall and medium built. So, what food should I feed my son? I often cook at home. I do give him lots of veggies and fruits as they are good for kids. I give him lots of plain water too. He will have his warm milk after he woke up and before bed. Right now, I'm out of idea on what should I cook for his breakfast, lunch and dinner. Any of you parents have some interesting, easy recipes to share with me? :P

I appeciate it. Thanks, again.

Regrads, Ann.
kisses..muacks!!

Post by GUEST » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 6:00 pm

Hi Ann,
You're doing a great job as is!! sugar is ok - just not at night, and in moderation. Most importantly, watch out for E numbers in food, like E150, etc and MSG... bin anything with them. Most of the culprits are soft drinks and adulterated juices... terrible stuff.

at 3, he can eat anything, so whatever you're making for yourself, he can have - just watch the salt levels and oil. But if it's in moderation, you're OK!

Cam

Post by Cam » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 6:08 pm

Most kids are hyperactive :D Especially boys!

My one is just over a year and is practically climbing over anything in his path - ( his path being towards something to climb over!)

He can eat anything you do - but keep salt intake in control. Sugar in moderation but avoid sugary drinks (for his teeth).

Anything home cooked is a bonus with fresh ingredients (no tinned stuff added etc).

kiss_snowhite

Post by kiss_snowhite » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 6:32 pm

Hello!!!

Thanks a lot for your replies. I guess I worry too much. Felt much better now!

Cheers!!
kisses..muacks!!

Cam

Post by Cam » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 8:18 pm

I got this off a msn web page (copied & pasted to remove the other blurb)

If you want to see the web page it's at

http://www.edietsuk.co.uk/b2b/msn/archi ... le_id=1953

Top 10 Healthiest Foods for Kids

•Optimal Oats A fabulous breakfast food, full of B vitamins, iron, zinc and calcium. Old-fashioned oats and porridge offer quick energy for busy kids with its carb load and fibre count.

•Egg 'em On Eggs are a great source of protein and a host of other nutrients, including the B vitamins, vitamin E and zinc (to name but a few). The Food Standards Agency doesn’t give a limit on how many eggs we should consume but do advise that a healthy diet will include moderate amounts of all protein sources including meat, fish and alternatives such as eggs, pulses, nuts and beans. Remember that young children should not be given raw eggs or eggs with runny yolks.

•Nuttin' Better Nut butters are great fast foods for kids. Kids need the fat (it's a good fat if it doesn't have hydrogenated oils mixed in it) and they need the protein. And while peanuts can be problematic and even life threatening to allergic kids, other nut butters may be okay (but definitely check with your doctor first). Almond butter is a personal favourite and you can make this simply by crushing or grinding up almonds or other nuts of your choice.

•Culture Club Kick your child's milk consumption up a notch and include yoghurt on the menu. A great source of calcium, yoghurt is easier to digest than regular milk, and the cultures (check the label for LIVE to make sure they're in there!) are very beneficial to good colon health... especially if your child has been on antibiotics. Watch it on the sugar content though. A better idea is to buy plain yoghurt and sweeten it yourself with fresh fruit.

•Mmmm, Mmmm Melons! My personal choice would be cantaloupe in the melon department. Vitamin C, beta-carotene, bits and pieces of B vitamins and trace minerals and calcium fill every juicy bite. Melons are not to be missed when they're plentiful and in season.

•Tree Cheers! Kids like to call broccoli "trees" and sometimes you can get picky kids to eat "trees" rather than broccoli. Broccoli is one of the best vegetables for anyone, especially growing kids due to its calcium content and a whole host of other nutrients, such as potassium, beta-carotene and B vitamins.

•Terrific Tubers Sweet potatoes contain 30mg beta-carotene per serving. It would take 23 servings of broccoli to get that same amount! And with 3 grams of fibre per serving, sweet potatoes deserve a place at the table.

•Protein Power The fact is that growing kids need protein to keep growing. How you're going to give it to them can vary widely, according to your preferences. Good choices include legumes, beans (combined with a grain to make a complete protein), soy products like tofu, or meat, fish or poultry.

•The Whole Truth The best nutrition is found in the whole grain. Brown rice and whole wheat bread are a quantum leap over their white counterparts and offer necessary fibre, minerals and vitamins. Don't short-change your kids with the white stuff.

•OJ is OK Kids can drink too much juice. However, that doesn't mean they should never drink juice. Just don't give it to them in place of water. Orange juice is full of vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, folate and zinc. You can buy calcium-fortified orange juice, too - it's great stuff in moderation.

Now that you know Leanne's top 10 foods, here are a few kid-tested recipes she says will help you incorporate them into your family's diet.

Smoothie Patrol
(From Leanne's book Healthy Foods)
Served with a Breakfast Cookie (recipe follows), this makes a great breakfast to go!
50g tofu (I buy the silken tofu)
1 banana, frozen
240ml frozen berries
1 scoop protein powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
120ml orange juice

Put everything in a blender and LET 'ER RIP!

Serves 1. Per serving: 216 calories; 4g total fat; (14%calories from fat); 7g protein; 41g carbohydrate; 2mg cholesterol; 12mg sodium.

Breakfast Cookies
(From Leanne's upcoming Frantic Family Cookbook)
240ml brown rice crisp cereal (like Rice Crispies, usually available in health food stores)
120ml oats
2 tbs bran cereal, your choice
2 tbs powdered milk
2 tbs peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 tbs honey (CAUTION: Some experts say honey shouldn't be consumed by babies under 12 months; others urge you to wait until the child is 3.)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a medium bowl, blend together dried cereals, oats and powdered milk. In a smaller bowl, blend peanut butter, vanilla, egg and honey together, mixing well. Make a well in the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Drop big spoonfuls of dough on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown slightly.

Serves 10. Per serving: 70 calories; 3g total fat; (33% calories from fat); 2g protein; 10g carbohydrate; 57mg sodium.

Cheesy Broccoli Soup
(From Healthy Foods)
2 onions, chopped
a head of broccoli, chopped (stems and all)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs olive oil
1 litre chicken stock
240ml skimmed milk
100g low-fat cheddar cheese, grated

In a large soup pot, sauté onions and garlic until softened. Add chopped broccoli and continue cooking. Add stock and cook until broccoli is very tender, about 30 minutes. In batches, process soup through a food processor or blender until almost smooth (some chunks are nice). Add milk and continue cooking another 20 minutes, but be careful not to boil or the soup will separate. When nice and thick, remove from heat and serve in individual bowls. Top each bowl with grated cheddar cheese and serve with a great big salad and whole grain bread. Makes a great dinner!

Serves 6. Per serving: 118 calories; 5g total fat (35% calories from fat); 11g protein; 8g carbohydrate; 656mg sodium.

kiss_snowhite

Post by kiss_snowhite » Sat, 16 Oct 2004 2:03 pm

Hi Cam!!!

Hey, thanks a lot! It's a great site that you got for me. Anyway, I've already printed out the recipes and will try it out soon!. Will let you know how it turn out. Thanks again, dude!!

Cheers!!
kisses..muacks!!