Singapore Expats Forum

Tenancy Agreement Landlord Breach/ Fraud

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

kabson

Tenancy Agreement Landlord Breach/ Fraud

Postby kabson » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 9:43 am

Hi All,

I have been cheated by a landlord on tenancy agreement, I signed a lease agreement with a landlord for a 1 year term for a 3+1 HDB in Yishun, also paid one month security deposit and agent commision. Two days before i have to move in, the broker called and informed me, the owner has no place to stay due to some personal problems, so is it ok if i can allow him to stay there also, I was taken back as im not used to having strange people in my house along with my family, and refused to accept.
The Broker understood and tried to talk to the owner, who was not willing to move out of the house, i was so furious as i had already applied for telephone line, internet and TV connections to be moved over to my new address, plus i had also fixed the Movers too.
Finally, i decided it was waste of time to talk to the owner as he is not ready to move out, so insisted either he pay back my deposit or hand over the unit on lease, However it was a irony the owner was not ready to do either.
Now the broker has backed off and handed over his agent commision to me, i asked the broker what about the security deposit, he says if the owner pays then he will give me.
I went to the police station and reported the same, although they made a report for me, they said they cannot help me on this and asked me to approach Small Claim.
Meanwhile, i can no longer trace the owner, as he says his handphone is lost, has no number to contact, and occassionally appears around his house. Im not sure, if small claims will be able to help me, or what happens if the person goes missing by that time?
Cant i hold the housing Agent, as i hired him only cause he was freom a reputed housing agency and now he has backed off and is not responding to my calls also.
please guide me.
[/b]
karthik

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:49 am

You'd probably be best contacting the small claims court and discussing these things with them since it would have legal backing and not just the word of a bunch of tossers on the internet

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 1:18 pm

Small claims it is then! You can also claim against the agent, who may also be involved in the same scam, who knows! Pay you back his commission, only makes it look like he is trying to help you. IAE take his name and also complain to them too.

I would also want to know why the police will do nothing, when this is a deliberate attempt at fraud. Take the matter to a local MP in that area and let him deal with it, you can find out who it is at the local community area.
Also if you have the contract, you have the right to cut off any locks on the premises, and enter the property locking him out!

Last of all, go to the local HDB office and explain what is going on, if he is breaking HDB policy, he will be in big trouble too.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:42 am

I mention tossers and ksl turns up. Coincidence? :lol:

As far as the police go, you would need to speak to the department that handles fraud investigations. In my experience if they don't deal with it directly they don't know anything about the related laws. In fact I remember a case a few months ago that involved rape and the judge criticised the officer for giving false information to the victim, and she (the cop) was supposed to be a trained sexual assault officer.

As for contacting hdb as ksl suggested, it's probably a good idea to do that before small claims court. HDB may be able to get the money back for you, after all they have the power (supposedly) to take the unit away from the owner if they breach the rules.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 3:26 pm

I think you need to go to CAD (Commercial Affairs Department). They handle white-collar investigation and is located at

391 New Bridge Road #06-701
Police Cantonment Complex Block D
Singapore 088762

Alternatively, you can call them at 1800 325 0000, before going down to file an official report.

Hope this helps!