Singapore Expats Forum

Ambulances waiting at red lights?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 3:05 pm

I've never been able to get my head around that uniquely Singapore concept of a bomb shelter that could be 20 or more storeys above ground. Surely this kind of shelter would be as about as useful as nipples on men's chests!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 3:07 pm

so nipple on men's chest arent for anythin?
lol

why do i have this feeling im goin to be the rebel or something...in this country.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 3:16 pm

Funny - I noticed the same thing the other day. Two police cars sitting paitently at a traffic light with flashing lights (and no-one moved out the way).

littlegreenman wrote:In the first place I am wondering why you need a metal gate on the front door (ground floor units maybe but higher up?) in a country that is so very safe. That is a huge safety risk. Mark my words, one day one of them HDB blocks is going to burn out and they will be looking for the charred bodies of many children or old that didn't make it out and the rescue crews couldn't make it in on time. Sad.

We have a very similar problem in South Africa. The only way out of our barred, bolted, electrified houses is through the ceiling. Given that the odds of being burgled and worse are higher than dying in blaze (although it does happen) people live with it! I miss the door gate. It means that I can take full advantage of the breeze without having to worry if I'll get unwanted visitors. My neighbours keep their doors open and their gates locked nearly 24/7!

Note to self... get emergency exit equipment (difficult from a 20+ floor!).

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 3:19 pm

we keep our door open since no one will come near our door as we have a big labrador inside.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 3:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The Bomb Shelter was designed to keep the economy going.

oh so that little room i never managed to figure out is a bomb shelter?!?!

as a kid growing in the middle of the cold war with movies like the day after and the few russian versions of it... i feel morbidly happy to brag about this to my friends back in the ol' country...

i have a bomb shelter!!
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 4:05 pm

but but...i thought the government is up to date with their military equipment. all that simulation machines..

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 4:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, the design dovetails perfectly with the governments attitude towards it population here if you think about it.

People here are nothing but drones who are programmed to not to analyze too closely and just be worker drones. As the government like to call the population "Human Capital" (depreciable assets) the housing arrangements for that 94% of the population are basically holding facilities (garage?) much like the chicken coops where egg layers are kept until they can no longer lay. Once they are used up, they are tossed on the heap for junk. Similar to what is done here once you hit 55. So, as life is considered cheap in Asia, why build a back door and incur more costs than necessary? :-|

That's funny I thought the American government's attitude was much the same given what I have heard about West Point Academy and workers in some service industries dependant on tips for wages. :( :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 6:00 pm

Plavt wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, the design dovetails perfectly with the governments attitude towards it population here if you think about it.

People here are nothing but drones who are programmed to not to analyze too closely and just be worker drones. As the government like to call the population "Human Capital" (depreciable assets) the housing arrangements for that 94% of the population are basically holding facilities (garage?) much like the chicken coops where egg layers are kept until they can no longer lay. Once they are used up, they are tossed on the heap for junk. Similar to what is done here once you hit 55. So, as life is considered cheap in Asia, why build a back door and incur more costs than necessary? :-|

That's funny I thought the American government's attitude was much the same given what I have heard about West Point Academy and workers in some service industries dependant on tips for wages. :( :P

:???:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:59 am

carteki wrote:Funny - I noticed the same thing the other day. Two police cars sitting paitently at a traffic light with flashing lights (and no-one moved out the way).

Thats because the Singapore bank robbers getaway car they are chasing will no doubt also stop for a red light.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 1:34 am

QRM wrote:
carteki wrote:Funny - I noticed the same thing the other day. Two police cars sitting paitently at a traffic light with flashing lights (and no-one moved out the way).

Thats because the Singapore bank robbers getaway car they are chasing will no doubt also stop for a red light.

Why would the cops here be in a rush anyway. I mean would you want to rush to the scene just to stand there with a bright orange oven glove on and direct drones for an hour. Unless of course you're suffering from RSPS and feel the rush of authority that comes with a badge and a pop gun.

Again it's the kiasu thing in traffic....why do the moral decent thing and get out of the way when it's not you in trouble??
Come the revolution they'll be the first against the wall..alongside 90% of drivers in singapore :cool:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 1:56 am

bigfilsing wrote:
QRM wrote:

Why would the cops here be in a rush anyway. I mean would you want to rush to the scene just to stand there with a bright orange oven glove on and direct drones for an hour. Unless of course you're suffering from RSPS and feel the rush of authority that comes with a badge and a pop gun.

Again it's the kiasu thing in traffic....why do the moral decent thing and get out of the way when it's not you in trouble??
Come the revolution they'll be the first against the wall..alongside 90% of drivers in singapore :cool:

I can see the day coming when i get my bottom spanked, ouch :cry:

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:59 am

morenangpinay wrote:we keep our door open since no one will come near our door as we have a big labrador inside.

A lab as a guard dog? What's it going to do, lick them into submission? :lol: :P

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:07 pm

You know in the 3 years we've been here I've never seen an ambulance - and maybe 2 or 3 police cars. Someone was telling me that the police are mostly undercover... I couldn't figure out if they were joking or serious?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:36 pm

cbavasi wrote:You know in the 3 years we've been here I've never seen an ambulance - and maybe 2 or 3 police cars. Someone was telling me that the police are mostly undercover... I couldn't figure out if they were joking or serious?

I didn't see any policemen in Singapore until Mas Selmat escaped. Then they were everywhere. Seems to have died down, until on Tues I was quite concerned when 7 fully armed policeman came down the escalator into Dhoby Ghaut station. Fortunately I was on my way out and I made my exit a little quicker...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 1:22 pm

They're in the MRT stations most of the times. Usually in contingents of 4. I also see them occasionally patrolling orchard road in groups of 4 as well.