Singapore Expats Forum

Making a trip to Vancouver

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jtcc

Making a trip to Vancouver

Postby jtcc » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 1:23 am

Hi there,

I am going to Vancouver for a holiday. Is there anyone who could advice me on where would be the places to check out there and which hotel is economically worth it?

Thanks in advance!

JT

Tsunamiw4ve

Hi jtcc

Postby Tsunamiw4ve » Sat, 01 Aug 2009 6:10 pm

I just got back from Vancouver, Canada !

It all depends what are your interests...

If u like adventure, then go up to Grouse Mountain. U can do zip lining, or/and para-glide from up there.

http://www.grousemountain.com

If u like nature... try the Capiliano Suspense Bridge. There is also a Salmon Hatchery near by. U can follow the forest trail to reach the dam.

Do visit Granville Island... lots of eating places, market place & handi artcraft.

Gardens & Parks : Butcher Gardens, Queen Elizabeth Park, Stanley Park (The Vancouver Aquarium is in this park) !

This link shld help U : http://www.vancouversightseeing.com/

If u are staying longer... like a week or more, i do suggest U visit Seattle,USA too. There is the Space Needle , Milford Sound, 1st Starbucks, Pike Market etc...

It's summer and pretty hot now in Vancouver...

Oh, as for hotel, try google search 1 whereby U can book yr flight with hotel stay.

If u r on free & easy... I suggest do a B & B. ( Bed & Breakfast around town area ?) I reckon it's cheaper that way.

I did not stay at hotel as I got relatives in Port Moody.
Have fun... :D

jtcc

Postby jtcc » Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:49 pm

Hey there,

Thanks for the information. I am heading to Vancouver in a couple of days time. Cant wait for that!!

So besides the Capiliano Bridge, Granville Island and Stanley Park, are there any other attractions that I should go to? Did you try to have a picnic there? Just curious.

Its summer there now eh..guess i shall pack more berms and flip flops then!

I've gotten a nice hotel to stay in. By the way, how does the cabs operate over there? Is it like in Singapore, there is a flag down rate?

Cheers

Tsunamiw4ve

Postby Tsunamiw4ve » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 1:39 pm

U did not state the length of yr stay in Vancouver...

Have u taken a look at the link I have posted u ???

Whistler is up north. U can check it out. Did not go there , so i am not 2 sure. Althought my Canadian cousin tried the zip lining up there. It's about 1 and a half hrs or so.

If yr hotel is in town.... then go to Stanley park : The Aquarium is in there. The park is HUGE !

Kittsilano beach is not 2 far off...
Chinatown at Hasting Road is in town too. There is a lane where there are junkers who smoke pot. If u think it's fascinating... go check it out.

Gastown is also in town area. There are lots of cafes, pubs & shops. Tourisy area. The highlight being the STEAM CLOCK.

It all depends what are yr interests. The weather now is pretty hot. Yes, dress light & casual. U can also pick up some bronchures from the hotel desk.

In town, there is the Canada place where ships dock... its all along the sea area. The look out tower is a nice place to go up to. U can view Canada place & down town area. I believe it's about $13.

Regarding taxi : I am not too sure. As i went to these attractions by rental car.

If u drive, then u might want to take a look at priceline.com . U can bid for a car.

Seattle is about 2 hrs down south.

If not, ask the hotel staff. I am sure they will furnish U with the requests.

Please check the website for more information & also u can GOOGLE !

Banff National Park is lovely too...but thats about 1000km to Alberta.

I think thats pretty much information I have furnish U with. Check it out & have a blast in Vancouver ! Safe trip....