Singapore Expats Forum

Question regarding dual citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
abi-j

Question regarding dual citizenship

Postby abi-j » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 5:58 pm

I am a Singapore citizen by birth but have been living in NZ for 14 years now. I have NZ citizenship - which was granted to me when my parents applied for citizenship here. I am also married to a NZ-er and the likelihood is that we will not return to Singapore unless visiting family. I have traveled between the two countries on different passports before and never been questioned. But with being married etc I'm concerned that questions will be asked if I try and travel on my Singapore passport. Should I look at renouncing my citizenship?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 6:09 pm

If you are a male, have you done your National Service? If you are a female you should just renounce your Singapore citizenship as it is against the law to hold dual citizenship if you were born a Singapore Citizen to Singapore Parents (if you were born to multinational parents you are allowed to have Dual Citizenship only up to the age of 21. After which, you are considered as breaking the law.

If you are a male and have not done your national service you could be in bigger trouble depending on when you left and how you left. You could also be considered a deserter as well.