Singapore Expats Forum

Help and Advice Needed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

guasidu

Help and Advice Needed

Postby guasidu » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 1:25 am

Hi, we just moved to singapore in the beginning of July. Before I confirm the deal of this condo, the air cond in master bedroom is having a leakage problem. The agent promised us this will be repaired before we move in. leakage still persist and the air cond was on just for once. We call the agent for repair and the landlord is obliged to bear the repair cost during this one month period. But when the contractor came, he said he cldn't do anything because the water dried. He came and go without doing anything. The one month warranty is going to over and we have to bear the costs then. I checked with the agent, although it was repaired now and the leakage still persist said after 10 days, we have to bear the repair costs. Can someone advice me as i felt trapped and unwilling to spend money for defects that are caused by me.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Help and Advice Needed

Postby ksl » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:28 pm

guasidu wrote:Hi, we just moved to singapore in the beginning of July. Before I confirm the deal of this condo, the air cond in master bedroom is having a leakage problem. The agent promised us this will be repaired before we move in. leakage still persist and the air cond was on just for once. We call the agent for repair and the landlord is obliged to bear the repair cost during this one month period. But when the contractor came, he said he cldn't do anything because the water dried. He came and go without doing anything. The one month warranty is going to over and we have to bear the costs then. I checked with the agent, although it was repaired now and the leakage still persist said after 10 days, we have to bear the repair costs. Can someone advice me as i felt trapped and unwilling to spend money for defects that are caused by me.

First of all i would ensure that it is a leak and not condensation, secondly it appears the job wan't done right in the first place, otherwise it wouldn't occur again so soon.

The guy that was supposed to have repaired it, must give some guarantee of his work, go back to the landlord/agent and tell him, he must get the same repair man back, to do his job correctly.

Besides, this problem is fair wear and tear, and not damaged caused by you. when a person moves into any condo, what guarantees have you that the aircon as been serviced regular? None unless they produce reports and even then it is a fixed item, that is worn out.

They will never be reasonable, but you have to point out that it is an old unit maybe and you are not going to pay for a new one. Although they have your deposit now.

guasidu

Postby guasidu » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 5:25 pm

thanks. in fact, nothing we can do, the repair man will come back again next week. let's c what he will say this round. :cry:

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 5:55 pm

KSL you said nothing they will do is reasonable - is this in general or when it involves $$$???
Why is life so materialistic here? Is it because there is no welfare system and no resources - surely this can't be the true nature of quite a few landlords and agents here...surely ????????? :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 6:13 pm

Welcome to Singapore. The pretty shine is only on the surface. :?