Singapore Expats

Can anyone recommend a good firm for local removals?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 4:49 pm

We used Elite Movers. 2 times. I would not call them good but rather acceptable, still no major disaster happened. A few unimportant things got broken and few scratches on the parquet appeared. They are (or were) priced 10-20% below Shalom (which we are going to use this time). Interesting that Shalom quoted you so much more. We are also going to move entire 3BR, have a bit more stuff then last time (2y ago) and the quote is only 5% higher.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 5:07 pm

I used Shalom to move 2 BRs from Toa Payoh to Hillview.

Their quote was indeed higher than the rest but they did a fairly good job. Mind you, I packed most stuff myself beforehand - they provided packing materials including bubble wrap and newspaper a few days beforehand.

They seriously miscalculated how much they'd have to move. I was single at the time, and the 2 BRs weren't huge. I am, however, a packrat, and am here permanently so they had to call for an extra truck in the middle of the day. There were no other mishaps and nothing got broken - they used enough bubble wrap to cover jupiter and all of its moons (probably why they needed the extra truck).

I might actually use them again.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:11 am

Yep I second shalom.
Prior to my last move I had always used a small company - just one man and his truck (with casual workers). But he only had one truck and there so many trips. In the end, when I costed it out, it would have been cheaper to use Shalom. Shalom provided all the boxes (which the other guy did not) and the main difference was that Shalom used guys who knew what they were doing and therefore did not scratch the fridge or drop boxes (unlike the other movers I have used). They were also far quicker - luck a bunch of bees. They took it in shifts one lot taking over from the other when they were getting tired. And they had a fleet of trucks that they packed up and then moved over all at once - rather than going back wards and forwards etc.
So do not forget about one of the larger movers, sometimes, it is just easier and in the long run cheaper.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 6:23 pm

For the first time we opted for the whole removal package: packed, removed, unpacked and I wonder how this is typically done. What we experienced was not what we expected. Is it a norm that basically everything goes by the rooms only so A LOT of the stuff gets completely mixed up and put in random places?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 24 Aug 2013 6:37 pm

So we had some recommendations for many, Shalom were double the price for the move of everyone else, so, we ended up opting for Oh Mighty on this occasion.

Shalom were massively more expensive than last time we moved (5x the price, we maybe have 2x the stuff.)

I'll let you know how this goes.
nutnut

bellejames1968

Movers

Post by bellejames1968 » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 2:46 pm

We have been told about Rodex who were recommended by our agent who is from the UK. will have them quote tomorrow and also getting a quote from Elite Movers will post how I found them.

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 5:24 pm

I used Shalom in my recent move. I initially thought they were quite expensive from reading some of the posts here but their actual quotation was about 20-30% higher compared to a local mover, so we chose them to have less hassles. The experience was quite good, they were fast and professional. We didnt have too much stuff, a few living room furnitures, two single beds for the kids, TV and 40+ boxes, etc. they finished the job in 3.5 hours. The total move costed me 700$ (one truck, 6 people) + 100$ tip to the movers. I would use them again.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 6:41 pm

i can recommend oranje movers who did our recent move http://www.oranjemovers.com.sg/ though the post from the guy with only one post sounds like a spammer

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:22 am

Used Watchman's Home Removal recently for a small move on short notice.
Very punctual, very courteous and the best rate.
Will use them again for the next move.