Singapore Expats

HELP - kids dispensing optician with good range needed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lou-BE

HELP - kids dispensing optician with good range needed

Post by Lou-BE » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:55 am

new to Singapore! Need to find a dispensing optician with a good range of reasonably priced kids eyewear - any advice welcome! Cheers.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:24 am

Most optician shops in the housing estates or the outlying shopping centres will be able to handle that request with no problems. Seeing that 70% of Singaporeans are myopic and have to wear glasses before they get out of Secondary school all shops cater for eyewear for the younger generation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:70% of Singaporeans are myopic and have to wear glasses before they get out of Secondary school
I heard that, why is that… It was mentioned to me that the modern Playstation generation are not outdoors enough to exercise the eyes for long sight – is that true?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 3:36 pm

AndyD,

I'm not too sure, but a lot, I believe, is the drive for academic excellence displayed by the parents without the benefit of wisdom. Kids here are driven not only by their parents and teachers but keeping up with the peers has them studying long, long hours without monitoring or forcing them to take 10 minute breaks every hour. That coupled with, in the past, large families in small flats without ample study facilities and lighting has created a whole generation of folks with severely strained eyesight. As this is also a new generation brought up in the IT and handphone world, the staring at glaring or tiny screens may have a bearing as well. Whether or not this degeneration of eyesight can be transmitted as a weakness or not I don't know, but among Asians, Singaporeans tend to be the worst, but have the highest academic averages........
:-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 3:43 pm

Hmmm, tis interesting… Almost cruel, but kind, but cruel – an extra dimension has been added… Maybe a nation like Japan would be a similar comparison then with regard to peer and parental pressure… I wonder how they fair…

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:21 am

You guys might want to have a look at http://www.myopia.org/myopiaprevalence.htm for some interesting reading.

Krocky

Post by Krocky » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 9:59 pm

For people going for their first glasses I would advice to go to the hospital.
In my experience opticians always say you need glasses while that may not be the case and make your eye sight even worse.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 1:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most optician shops in the housing estates or the outlying shopping centres will be able to handle that request with no problems. Seeing that 70% of Singaporeans are myopic and have to wear glasses before they get out of Secondary school all shops cater for eyewear for the younger generation.
lacking insight and forethought

Hahahahahahahaha :lol: adj. nearsighted, suffering from myopia; pertaining to nearsightedness (Ophthalmology); lacking insight and forethought, now bumping into people makes more sense.