Singapore Expats Forum

Going to the Movies - is it worth it?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Going to the Movies - is it worth it?

Postby Nath21 » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 9:19 pm

I was thinking about going to the movies recently and my better half said its a waste of time as everything on tv is censored so the movies is likely to be just as bad.

As an example I was watching Knocked Up and the whole scene when they have the one night stand and you find out he didnt wear a condom was excluded if I hadnt of seen it before I would not have know there was even a story. Another example was Interview with a vampire and and I didnt realise one guy had been killed because it was edited out.

I really want to see bruno but seeing how controversial he is the whole thing is likely to go 20 minutes and be so disjointed it wont even been funny.

So my question is are the movies edited as bad as tv because if they are I will save my cash and watch the movies when im on holiday in OZ.

Sorry secondary question my mate said they have only lolly popcorn not salted popcorn is that true as well?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 9:49 pm

Hmmmm... sounds like you've been misinformed. Lots of movies play uncensored in Singapore. Borat was uncut. Compare the rating (if it's a more restrictive rating than it is in the rest of the world, chances are it's uncut) and running time at the theatre compared to the running time on the website, should solve that issue. Love Actaully was cut to exclude the nude model story line, but was fairly well done. The Malaysian channel, (which is it?) tends to butcher everything, I wouldn't bother watching anything on that channel.

Also, lolly popcorn? Yes, available, right next to the salted popcorn. :roll:

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:07 pm

thanks it makes sense to just have censorship in classification so restrict on age rather than censor the movie but I had doubts with the tv censorship of movies here on starhub. I guess my mate didnt look hard enough into the popcorn varieties.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:12 pm

I think you have to check films on a case by case basis. FYI, my husband took our son to see bruno ~ said it wasn't nearly as funny as Borat ~ way, WAY too many penises (penisii?).

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:43 am

We have a UOB credit card and get the rewards points. As we pay most our bills through this card and all our purchases to get the reward points it usually adds up to a pair of tickets at the end of each months or two months. Free ticket => why not go to the movies.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Going to the Movies - is it worth it?

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 1:49 pm

about your (OP) main question:

the current censorship system is:

Distributors indicate preferred ratings upon submission. The Board of Film Censors (BFC) assess es if the film is suitable for the requested rating. If not, the BFC will suggest an alternative rating. Distributors may either accept the BFC's recommendation or edit the film to meet the guidelines for their preferred rating.

http://www.mda.gov.sg/wms.www/devnpolicies.aspx?sid=93

the changes made to the Film Classification Board puts Singapore's film censorship procedures in line with that of the US MPAA film classification process.

source:http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2006/07/on-film-censorship-in-singapore.html

if you want to check current films use the

Film Classification Database
http://www.mda.gov.sg/wms.www/resources_film.aspx

be aware that the do cut sometimes... it tend to be done tastefully but it is cutting nonetheless.

Here are some terminologies of the decisions made which will come in useful when using the databases
Clean Passed without cut(s)
CE Edited version passed without cut(s)
PWC Passed with cut(s)
E Exempted
NR Not Recommended

cinemas are very nice here so unless you really care about the movies then just go and have some fun.

otherwise, instead of waiting to go on your holidays, you can use torrent :-D

Nath21 wrote:Sorry secondary question my mate said they have only lolly popcorn not salted popcorn is that true as well?

wrong, you have both and you can even ask for half sweet and half salty (it is a fact that for some reasons the cinema tends to offer sweet popcorn by default)
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks for the research I think the popcorn issue was because my friend got the default option as you state and thus presumed it was all the same. Im going to see a movie but have decided against bruno just because most people have said it aint that good cheers.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 6:08 pm

Nath21 wrote:Thanks for the research I think the popcorn issue was because my friend got the default option as you state and thus presumed it was all the same.

cool, it was just a google search :-)

about the pop corn... yah, it happened to me, worst thing is that i was not exposed to sweet pop corn before so double shock! and my dreams of buttery delight were smashed...

it was my second day here, in a foreign country, so i decided to just take it as a cultural shock :-D till a local friend told me to specifically ask for salty or mixed...

enjoy your movie (i recommend to you the harry potter, they are getting darker by the minute)
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.