Singapore Expats Forum

Saving Charmaine - Live Your Life Concert 2009

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SAVINGCHARMAINE

Saving Charmaine - Live Your Life Concert 2009

Postby SAVINGCHARMAINE » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31 pm

Charmaine is 4 years old. She is diagnosed with Stage Four Neuroblastoma.

Organized by F-Entertainment, Saving Charmaine – Life Your Life 2009 bands our talents for a cause. Powered by Charmaine’s well-wishers, Saving Charmaine – Life Your Life 2009 aims to raise $50 000 for the Saving Charmaine Fund. Proceeds from this event will be channeled to Charmaine’s family for her other medical and treatment expenses beyond the initial deposit that was raised.

This event merges the world of music with a cause. Saving Charmaine – Life Your Life 2009 is a celebration of life through music. With Zouk as the Venue Sponsor, Saving Charmaine – Life Your Life 2009 will entertain you with the best local acts in town as you do your part for Charmaine.

A testament to our Singapore spirit and the Singapore soul, Saving Charmaine – Live Your Life 2009 wants you to make an impact in Charmaine’s life. Our volunteers, performers, bands, sponsors, partners and supporters are in on this. We know compassion is not pegged to a value. We help, because we can.

We are Saving Charmaine. Are You?

Saving Charmaine – Live Your Life 2009
Venue: Zouk Club
Date & Time: Saturday, 25th July 2009 5pm to 9pm
Sunday, 26th July 2009 6pm to 10pm

Limited Tickets. Ticket proceeds will go towards the Saving Charmaine Fund.
Purchase your tickets at any Tickets.com outlets or visit www.tdc.sg for more details. Ticket sales start 13 July 2009.

Performances (Day 1):
OUTOFRANGE
THE SALLYS
STUDIO WU
VOODOO DRUMS
ACADEMY OF ROCK
LEESON
GOODFELLAS

Performances (Day 2):
ACADEMY OF ROCK
SAMBIESTA
WAITING FOR NOTHING
CARACAL
STUDIO WU
S.P.O.N.G.E
WEST GRAND BOULEVARD
GREAT SPY EXPERIMENT

For more information, head to the http://tdc.sg/events/details.aspx?eid=6020.

To get to know more about Charmaine, head to http://ourfeistyprincess.blogspot.com.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:38 am

Call me the Grinch, but -- I don't really get this whole Charmaine thing. Collecting half a million bucks in donations (target reached and still counting!) to give one kid with cancer a 20% chance to survive? Props to her parents for pulling that off, but that kind of cash could save, with 100% certainty, a lot more lives if it was used instead for, say, clean water, mosquito nets, condoms, ...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:09 am

jpatokal wrote:Call me the Grinch ...

You are a Grinch

:P
Just me

DazzleBabe

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Postby patsy_sg » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:31 am

jpatokal wrote:Call me the Grinch, but -- I don't really get this whole Charmaine thing. Collecting half a million bucks in donations (target reached and still counting!) to give one kid with cancer a 20% chance to survive? Props to her parents for pulling that off, but that kind of cash could save, with 100% certainty, a lot more lives if it was used instead for, say, clean water, mosquito nets, condoms, ...

from someone who has experienced a child being in the hospital in serious condition, i think it's not the money that counts, but the fact that there are people, strangers even, who care enough to stand up and be counted. My daughter didn't survive her heart transplant, but during her 10 days in the hospital, prayer chains, emails, support from different forums all over the world (she even came out in stomp!!) kept me going and believing until the very end.

maybe you can take a less cynical view and look at it not in terms of financial support, but emotional support instead?

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:31 pm

I have to say that I am with JP on this.

I am not heartless and feel very sorry for the family and child concerned but what makes this ONE child any more special than any other child?
Now if it was for a charity to enhance many children's lives / last days then fair enough, but this is being very specific.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:57 pm

I do not find any charitable organization listed on the ROSES website that might represent this... although it may be under a related name.

The question is: How much of the gross proceeds actually goes for charitable purposes?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 2:03 pm

Organized by F-Entertainment, Saving Charmaine – Life Your Life 2009 bands our talents for a cause. Powered by Charmaine’s well-wishers, Saving Charmaine – Life Your Life 2009 aims to raise $50 000 for the Saving Charmaine Fund. Proceeds from this event will be channeled to Charmaine’s family for her other medical and treatment expenses beyond the initial deposit that was raised.

In an event like this I would like to see 100% of the proceeds going to the child and others, with the same condition, including administration costs and profits from the concert, hardly likely when it is a sales gimmick, to pull crowds for profit.

This is clearly and attempt to raise funds, however who for? It is not transparent enough and yes there are very many children around the world, in the same situation. My personal opinion is that I do not trust the events organisers, it appears to be far too well marketed to pull crowds, rather than donate to the childs family.

So for me it is about consciously using advertising and marketing for profit, targeting peoples feelings. It's a thumbs down! :( and done in bad taste in my opinion.
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 22 Jul 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friz

Postby Friz » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 3:16 am

Hi All!

This is Friz, Organiser of Saving Charmaine.

Great to hear some reaction in here.

Maybe we'd all do well with some links to have a background understanding of what's going on so that we're on the same page:

http://www.tdc.sg/events/details.aspx?eid=6020
http://ourfeistyprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207702,00.html

Saving Charmaine - Live Your Life 2009 is powered by a group of volunteers. I'm doing this pro-bono. So are the volunteers (that's what volunteering is all about, yes?) who are Charmaine's well-wishers. The performing bands are all in this without getting paid as well (kudos to them for taking time off their paid performances and re-scheduling their gigs for the cause). The event is sponsored by many different parties, all in kind to ensure that we're running at ZERO cost. That's because we want all the funds raised to be channeled to Charmaine.

For your ticket price of $17 and $30, all of the proceeds will go towards the Saving Charmaine Fund. This event is audited by HW Soo & Co to ensure the funds are all in order and handed over appropriately to Charmaine's family. There will also be merchandise sales. Same thing - funds audited.

Thank you to KSL for commenting that the event is well-marketed to pull in the crowd. Since the main avenue of fund-raising is through ticket sales, we obviously want to reach out to everyone who'd feel for Charmaine to support the event through purchasing the ticket. It's like a donation. But you're getting something in return - entertainment put up by our talented bands pro-bono. What's the catch? There is NO catch. You donate, and get something in return. Great entertainment for a cause, why not?

To answer the question: why not just a straight donation to the family then?

Well, the event is my brainchild. I'm not rich enough to make a substantial donation. Yes, every cent counts. But I know for sure I can do more than just donate a couple of hundreds. So why not do more, and raise more funds for Charmaine? And so here you go, after my correspondence with Charlene (the one in-charge of www.ourfeistyprincess.com), and finally getting the green light on 30th June, I've roped in volunteers and with their help, Saving Charmaine - Live Your Life 2009 is all ready to go this coming weekend.
You can still do a straight donation through Charmaine's website above. We'd encourage any form of donation avenue that you prefer - as long as Charmaine's gets the funds she needs.

So you might be thinking: She's already got that $500k she needs. Why more?

We started planning this event before she obtained the amount needed for her upfront deposit. I have never believed in doing things halfway. With dedicated volunteers and sponsors-in-kind all pitching in, why stop halfway when we can still make an impact in her life? I'm sure many of us don't peg our compassion to a monetary value. We care beyond the $500k mark. Sure, there are other ways to support Charmaine - moral support and the likes. For Charmaine right now, having the money is crucial.

The $500k is for the upfront deposit needed. No one can gauge for sure how much will they need. This event aims to raise funds to help Charmaine in her future treatment expenses. Now, Charmaine is a 4-year-old girl. Obviously she needs her mother with her. It wouldn't be fair to say that we're raising funds exclusively for Charmaine's treatment, as her mother who has had to leave her job to care for Charmaine will need financial aid too. This event aims to provide them just that.
It's already tough enough to deal with a harsh blow of your child contracting a terminal illness. We'd like to spare her the financial worry.

I've heard this question often: So, why Charmaine? It's an insane amount of money for just one child!

The moral judgment as to the worth of a life - that's not for me to make. All I know is that Cynthia, like all mums, would do everything she can for her child. Cynthia has shown much courage in face of detractors and disappointing episodes as she fights alongside her little girl. She unabashedly puts her pride aside, deals with the negative remarks and goes all out to save her girl.
Charmaine, on the other hand, is not just a girl with cancer. She's a fighter in face of adversity. In my life, I've had everything I want - friends, fun, fall in love, travel. I've also made mistakes, survived tough times, endured heartbreaks, etc. At some points of my life, I've been given 2nd chances. Charmaine is fighting for her first. Personally, it would break my heart if I knew I could make a difference and didn't.

Yes, there are many Charmaines out there. But this Charmaine spoke to me. Like the Starfish Story by Loren Eiseley, I'm bending down to pick up this starfish because I know I can make a difference to this one, with your help. I'm doing this because I know I can, and I want to.

And I'm glad that there are volunteers, sponsors, performers and many supporters pitching in to help. It's not a one-man effort. It's all a team effort by people from all walks of life. This event provides an avenue for those who've wanted to help Charmaine but don't know how to be involved.

The last question I have in my mind that you might probably ask: Why at a Club? Why a music event?

Zouk has been very, very kind. They have sponsored the venue and logistic help. Without them, this event couldn't have worked out. I have tried sourcing out the various venues that we can have this event. Due to the short leadtime we have, and zero budget, only Zouk stepped up and extended a helping hand. Yes, Zouk, a club is doing their part in Saving Charmaine.
On why we're having a music event - we all know the impact music has on our lives. And our bands are fantastic - you guys should check the talents out there. In my mind, music can heal. Music can make a difference. We have talented musicians. That's the formula right there.

Down the road, some of these bands will make it big. Maybe someday, someone hears a song over the airwaves and says, "Hey, I first heard that at Saving Charmaine in 2009!" We'll then know that this event has made an impact - not only just on Charmaine and her family's life, not only on the volunteers and performers, but on those who've been there to make a difference.

I hope I've answered all your doubts. For those that stumble upon this, I'm grateful for the volunteers, the sponsors, the performers for stepping up. I'm also extending an invite to you to support this event. Tickets are sold at the door and at www.tdc.sg

Saving Charmaine - Live Your Life 2009.
Because life is worth fighting for.

Cheers
Friz
savingcharmaine@gmail.com

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 4:19 am

:wink: Nice you replied!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 7:12 am

And therein lies the conundrum that brought us to this point. Do we go SE's route? Where they have to "fit" under a set criteria? Or do we have to take each on it's own merits, do the research and hopefully come to the right choice? Workload be damned. Or do we keep it simple and just don't allow it?

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 8:57 am

I know there are people who wouldn't think twice about spending more than $30 to "support" bands. friends etc. We all know this small individual sum will help or at least try to save a life as opposed to it being pocketed by some other owner to feed his OT thirst.

This is very straight forward - You support, pay and go OR you think it's an advertising gimmick, save the $30 to have 2 HH beers at Penny Blacks (is that the cost of a pint????)

p.s I would pay $90 to watch Goodfellas and Great Spy Experiment. Simply the best groups in the local music scene!

\:D/
Just me

DazzleBabe

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 9:06 am

The local bands are doing it because they need all the exposure that they can get. It's difficult for them to find paying gigs as most play alternative music and therefore only have a small audience to draw from. I know. I hate the music my son plays but have to give him credit for trying.

Oh, he's fronting one of the groups in the said concert we're discussing here, but I won't be attending.

Friz

Saving Charmaine - Live Your Life 2009 Happens Tomorrow!

Postby Friz » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:31 pm

Hi SMS

Good to know you're supportive of your son =)

For those who'll be coming down, tickets are available at the door!
There'll be a special performance by the MP of Pasir Ris - Punggol GRC as well, in show of her support for Charmaine!

Have a great tomorrow and Sunday! It's going to be a blast for a cause!

Cheers
Friz