Visa options

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 7:36 pm

Visa options

Post by PhuketBlue » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 7:46 pm

I am looking to spend a year or two (at least) in Singapore with my family but am unsure as to what is the best visa option for me. My basic details:

English national, 43 years old male, married to Thai national and have 3 children (all dual British/Thai nationals) all of school age.

Resident in Phuket, Thailand for 8 years but for various reasons, hoping to spend at least a couple of years in Singapore.

I am financially independent with a very comfortable annual income and thus have no need/desire to work.

Unlike Thailand and Malaysia, a retirement visa doesn't seem to be an option. Any suggestions as to the best route? Is there a visa that would allow us to stay in Singapore while my children study there, or anything of a similar nature that would allow us, as a family, to remain there without needing to work?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 8:32 pm
Location: London/Singapore

Post by littlegreenman » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:18 pm

Hi there,

for you children it is straight forward and simple: as soon as you register them in a school you can apply for a student pass for them. Simple.

For you and your wife however I am not so sure what the best option is. As you mentioned yourself there is no retirement visa. If your finance allow for it you can get PR (and include your wife in the application) through the investor scheme.

I quote from the ICA webpage
For the Investor/Entrepreneur
Contact the Singapore Economic Development Board for more details on obtaining permanent residence under the Global Investor Programme.
Singapore Economic Development Board
250 North Bridge Road
#28-00 Raffles City Tower
Singapore 179101
Tel: 68326832
If you chose to go the Investor PR route then be aware that you can also include your children and get PR for them. However pls note that this means that if one of your children is male, he will have to serve national service in Singapore and there are no work arounds.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests