Singapore Expats

Can PR be obtained if a person is on PEP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Singapore PEP

Can PR be obtained if a person is on PEP

Post by Singapore PEP » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 6:32 am

Hi,

I am currently in the USA and have neither studied nor worked in Singapore.
I have MS from US and have about 7 years of work expense and my current income is more than SGD 7k/month. I am currently a Finance Manager for a major multi-national company.

I have few questions if anybody can help me with those I would appreciate it.

1. Can I apply for PEP and what are my chances of approval for the same in current scenario?

2. Can I apply for dependent visa for my wife & child once I get PEP?

3. Can I apply for Permanent Residency once I get PEP approval & after coming there? Also, how many months do I need to wait to apply for PR?

4. How much time does it take to get the PEP approval from date of application? I will be applying from the USA.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Can PR be obtained if a person is on PEP

Post by Saint » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 9:04 am

Most of your answer can easily be found on the MOM website, see link below but in short

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html
Singapore PEP wrote:Hi,

I am currently in the USA and have neither studied nor worked in Singapore.
I have MS from US and have about 7 years of work expense and my current income is more than SGD 7k/month. I am currently a Finance Manager for a major multi-national company.

I have few questions if anybody can help me with those I would appreciate it.

1. Can I apply for PEP and what are my chances of approval for the same in current scenario?

Overseas foreign professional whose last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $7,000
• The last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be no more than six months from the time of the application. Chances? probably pretty good

2. Can I apply for dependent visa for my wife & child once I get PEP?

PEP holders will continue to enjoy the dependants' privileges of their original passes or current eligibility at the point of PEP application, whichever is higher. Those who switch to higher-paying jobs may apply for the corresponding dependants' privileges.

P1, P2 and Q1 Pass holders are eligible to bring his/her spouse and children under 21 years of age on Dependant's Passes. A P Pass holder can also bring his/her parents and parents-in-law on Long-Term Visit Passes.

3. Can I apply for Permanent Residency once I get PEP approval & after coming there? Also, how many months do I need to wait to apply for PR?

Yes a PEP holder can apply for PR. There's no hard written rule how long you have to wait before applying but general opinion is to wait at least 6 months

4. How much time does it take to get the PEP approval from date of application? I will be applying from the USA.

An oversea application has to use the manual process and you will need a local contract address which could be a stumbling block if you don't know anyone in Singapore. Process time is about 5 weeks

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... apply.html

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:14 pm

Singapore PEP wrote:I have MS from US and have about 7 years of work expense and my current income is more than SGD 7k/month. I am currently a Finance Manager for a major multi-national company.
7 years of work expense? You might want to pay that off before applying :P :devil:

Singapore PEP

Post by Singapore PEP » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 1:42 am

Hey Saint,

Thanks for a quick responce.

What pass will I get if I go through PIP? Is it P, P1, P2 or Q1?

Do you suggest I apply for dependent visa (for wife & child) along with my PEP application or doing it afterward.
Regards

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 6:52 am

Don't know what you will get if you go through PIP (not even sure what that is) However, if you go via the PEP route which is what I believe you mean, your will get a PEP visa. Not a Q, P1 or P2 visa. It's a different visa.

You can probably save time by doing it all together.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Singapore PEP

Post by Singapore PEP » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:12 am

Hey Sundaymorning,

I meant PEP sorry about typo.
Thanks for reply.

So even if its not P, P1, P2 or Q1 visa, I can apply for permanent residency?
Regards

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:54 am

Yes you can apply, but I would make sure I was working at the time and not just hunting for work after being retrenched and sitting on a PEP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Singapore PEP

Post by Singapore PEP » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 1:46 am

Thanks Man.

Got another question:

My employer has told me that to get a Employment Pass (not PEP) for me, they have to go through labor market test, I looked at the MoM website and there is no mention of Labor Market Test for EP. Did I miss anything, can somebody confirm if its true that no Labor Market Test is required.
Regards

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 3:31 pm

All he has done is given a process a name. Nothing more.

When the employer submits an application for a Employment Pass to the MOM they have to expain WHY they need to hire a foreigner. If they do not have a substantial & valid reason, e.g., there are plenty of locals around with the potential employee's experience & qualifications, then MOM will not grant the EP approval. If you have done a search of this forum you will already know that the employer has to justify WHY then need to hire a foreigner over a local/PR to the MOM. You employer has just coined a phrase and nothing more.

Just as an example, Your profession, Finance Manager, might have a hundred or so local finance managers looking for jobs, or even more. They may be plenty with 7 or more years in MNC exposure. Why should MOM let them hire you, considering that you have nothing more to offer than the citizens/PR's already here. If fact, less with the same, as those here know the local rules and regs already.

However, having said that, if the employer did go through the process, in your case the odds are still in your favour if you qualify for a P1 EP. I'm just giving you an example. Most who qualify for P1 passes are rarely bounced. :wink:

Singapore PEP

Post by Singapore PEP » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 8:30 am

Do you think its better to apply PEP and take the same job visa this route as they will offer me the role. With this route they have not have to go through labor market or they have to since i am not a PR/Citizen?
Regards

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 8:40 am

That's something only you can decide. The PEP is granted ONCE and ONCE ONLY. It's good for a maximum of 5 years and cannot be renewed again. If you do not earn at least a minimum of 30K/year EVERY year you will lose the PEP, five years or not. And you cannot get it back again. Let's assume then you take the job. If you know it's for a certain length of time only, then fine, go for it. As long as you are not planning to stay here for the long term. You can take it up and subsequently give it up in favour of the EP but again, if you give it up you cannot get it again. So, at the end of the day. You may want to get it now, and gamble with the future, or you might want to gamble a wee bit now and keep that for reserve. For that matter you may decide you want to go the distance and get PR. I can't, in all seriousness, recommend one way or the other. All have their pros & cons.

bogdang

Post by bogdang » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:46 am

I was in similar situation, my friend submitted the application for me, as far as I remember it took MoM 4 days to approve it.

SMS is making a valid point. PEP is given only once.
If they company can get you a P1 go for it, note that P1 and former P1 holders are eligible for PEP.

hmmbug

Post by hmmbug » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 4:23 pm

FYI, I arrived in SG with a EP (P1), transferring from my job in the UK. I soon applied for the PEP. Although it is a one-time permit it does give more security if your job is lost. With an EP you have 30 days to get out the country if you lose your job and must reapply for an EP for any new job here. With a PEP you have 6 months between jobs and no need to reapply within the 5 year validity. My situation at the time made this a more favourable option due to imminent job cuts and I wanted to stay here regardless of the company I worked for.

To continue working after the 5 year PEP you'd need to apply for an EP (via your employer) or apply for PR - I guess the gov are aiming for the latter given their desire to increase the population..

Several months after being granted my PEP (and 6 months after arriving in SG) I applied for and was granted PR.

Of course, with success on EP, PEP or PR applications it's all down to personal circumstances and (unpublished - I guess) gov quotas, especially during these tough times..

Best wishes for which ever option you go for!

MH