Singapore Expats

Any Babies with TONGUE TIE problem??? Need Advise....

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
schlok72

Any Babies with TONGUE TIE problem??? Need Advise....

Post by schlok72 » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 4:43 pm

My son who is 8 months old is tongue tie and I've noticed it since he was 6 months old when I realised that he cannot stick out his tongue at all.

I've checked with my PD but she says not to worry since most tongue tie problem will not cause any major problem when they are older. However I have my DOUBTS since I've checked that this could impaired speech later in the child's life.

I'm going for 2nd opinion and have made appt to see Dr Henry Tan from KKH to seek advise whether a surgery is required.

Can anyone share with me if you or your child has gone for such a surgery before? If so, what is the actual procedure like and the impact on the child.

Thanks so much.....

Ker

tongue-tie

Post by Ker » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 6:57 pm

I have had no problems whatsoever with my tied- tongue throughout my life.
My first daughter was born with a tied-tongue and we were advised to have it snipped to help with her feeding. She was only a few weeks old at the time.
It was a 2 minute procedure - quick snip with a pair of surgical scissors then a very small amount of bleeding. Nothing to worry about.
Hope this helps.

schlok72

Post by schlok72 » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Ker,

Many thanks for the info. It definitely put me at ease that it's nothing major and can be corrected.

Do you think you can give me the contact for the surgeon who did the op for your little one? If it's not convenient to post it here, please email to me at [email protected]

Once again THANK YOU....

Ker

tongue-tie

Post by Ker » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 7:45 am

My daughter had her 'snip' done in the UK, however I have been seeing Professor Henry Tan at KK Hospital with my other daughter as she has had problems with her ears. He operated on her to put grommets in her ears. He is very good.
Be prepared to wait around at KK even after you register and get your appointment number.
Good luck and I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about the matter.

Best wishes,

Ker