Singapore Expats Forum

Got LPR, should I sacrifice my job and move to Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

ahkiong

Got LPR, should I sacrifice my job and move to Singapore?

Postby ahkiong » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 5:52 pm

OK.. it's a prety open question but I'd welcome any comments, please...

I recievd the in-principle PR last month and have been contemplating a move to SG. The only thing is that I will have to quit my job and start looking for a new one there. I have some savings that should be able to support me (w/out a job) for 12 months and I expect to get something by then. But still, keeping my expectations low, I'm afraid that I'll get lower pay as I'm starting there.

What would you do if you were in my positions??

PS.

I now work for an analyst, with an IB, at a VP level. Pay is OK for standard of living in a 3rd world country. The reason I want to move is to have a better standard of living (perhaps more like in the future since now I may have to take a pay cut).

To sum up, very good money here where I'm in now, but lousy envrionment (eg, bad security, legal, infrastrcture, services); probably lower money in Singapore (for a start), but much better environment.

WHICH ONE?

Loislane

Postby Loislane » Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:28 pm

When do you need to be here by?

Have you done some homework on Job opportunities etc? Ah Kiong, do lots of homework now, look at job sites, if u get the spore papers there go thru the saturday's recruitment pages to get a feel for whats available, talk to your counterparts here (those u can trust because you really dont want to tell too many people what your plans are)
Do you have friends here? People you can talk to?

Ah Kiong

Re

Postby Ah Kiong » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 2:50 pm

Thanks for the comments Lois..

Yes, I've done a bit of research in terms of job opportunities, etc. I was actually quite surprised to see so many postings in ST Recruit. However, not that many opps in my field (although talking to a friend there, he said that the good jobs are mostly not published). If I had to take jobs outside of my expertise, then I might have to take a pay cut (since I'm starting again). So there goes the trade off again..

But hey, I think I just need more and more data to encourage me to take the plunge. So you're right, do more homeworks..

loislane

Postby loislane » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 4:47 pm

Kiong, can u put yr private email add here, i will write to u more in detail
cheers!

Ah Kiong

Postby Ah Kiong » Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:02 am

Lois, my email address: stupidestguyonearth@yahoo.com.sg
(this is a real one).

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers..!