Singapore Expats Forum

Non-family friendly buildings

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Sin City

Non-family friendly buildings

Postby Sin City » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 1:48 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for an apartment building/condo which is NOT necessarily family-friendly, in 09 or 10.

I've seen lots of ads which say how family-friendly a building is, with playgrounds, splash pools, etc. but I don't have kids so those facilities are meaningless to me.

In fact I'd probably pay a premium to avoid lots of kids making noise around the pool.

Anyone got any advice on which buildings I should be looking at?

Thanks
SC

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 2:18 pm

There are sterilisation clinics for people like you, at least you won't pollute the world with your sprog.

'nuff said Image

Sin City

Postby Sin City » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks Vaucluse,

It is a serious question.

Just FYI, we tried and were unsuccessful.

I don't have any problem with people who have kids, moving into family-friendly blocks. I, however, do not need such facilities, so I do not wish to pay for them.

I am not after blocks which are specifically unfriendly to families - I would be surprised if such places exist - but I am simply after developments which are not specifically 'family friendly'.
Last edited by Sin City on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 2:52 pm

Family Friendly is a sales gimmick. No developer in his right mind would build non-family friendly buildings in a country that is trying it's damnest to have more children because of the graying population. If you can't avoid 'em join 'em. Adopt. Then you won't feel like you are getting ripped off. :wink:

ninja08

Postby ninja08 » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 2:58 pm

just go for landed properties lol.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 3:07 pm

Sin City wrote:just FYI, we tried and were unsuccessful?

HaHa… Touché… A fantastic comeback well done Sin City – now watch another flamer step quietly back in their box, tail firmly between their legs…

I am very sorry to hear about that situation, and unfortunately I cannot help on your current situation, but good luck with everything…

Sin City

Postby Sin City » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks Andy,

We're now quite cool with the situation. One just gets on with life!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 4:38 pm

AndyD wrote:
Sin City wrote:just FYI, we tried and were unsuccessful?

HaHa… Touché… A fantastic comeback well done Sin City – now watch another flamer step quietly back in their box, tail firmly between their legs…

I am very sorry to hear about that situation, and unfortunately I cannot help on your current situation, but good luck with everything…

What, are you five years old, Andy? (Uuh, now watch anotehr moron come back with a clever riposte)
Did you actually have anything to add to the OP's question? Oh, no you didn't, as you mention.

SMS said it quite rightly, there are no 'family-non-friendly' places around, in terms of a condo.
There are, however, places that are like 6 units as a building - one in Holland Village springs to mind . . . but no amenities.

Or a landed property, as was also mentioned . . . but again, no amenities

'nuff said Image

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Sin City,

Try not to let Vaucluse's 'welcome' on to the board keep you away. You ask a valid question. Why pay for all that nonsense if you don't want it? If you are looking in 9 or 10, I would suggest a little shophouse or similar if budget allows. Some really sweet ones around with all kinds of more adult features like roof top pools, non-code-compliant railings, koi ponds..

Good luck with your move :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 8:44 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Hi Sin City,

Try not to let Vaucluse's 'welcome' on to the board keep you away. You ask a valid question. Why pay for all that nonsense if you don't want it? If you are looking in 9 or 10, I would suggest a little shophouse or similar if budget allows. Some really sweet ones around with all kinds of more adult features like roof top pools, non-code-compliant railings, koi ponds..

Good luck with your move :)

Ah . . how are the Summer Hols, road.not.taken.

Yes, small apartment buildings, landed or . . . as you say . . . shop lots.

'nuff said Image

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:15 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Ah . . how are the Summer Hols, road.not.taken.

Fantastic! 72 degrees and sunny skies. A light breeze roughing up the lake. Gorgeous. Here with my new puppy, he is fantastic and gives me no peace :D

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 1:12 am

Sin City - there are definitely places that are less "family oriented" than others... there may be families living in the building but the facilities are geared toward older residents. I'm not sure what your budget can afford - but places like the St. Regis, One Tree Hill Residence, Beaufort on Nassim are good places to start. They don't have playgrounds and the pools are more "adult".

Sin City

Postby Sin City » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks guys - I'll ask the agent about those mentioned. I was taken around a few today which might fit the bill.

cbavasi - that's exactly the combination I'm after - thanks.

Budget's about $5k / month.

Cheers
SC

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:39 pm

You can still find places in your budget - there are a lot of places in Newton/Novena that might work. Also, Somerset, Mount Emily... places that are right on top of an MRT that might be less suitable for families but great for singles/couples. Try and schedule your viewings for Sat/Sun mornings or afternoons during the week when children would most likely to be out and playing so you can get a good sense of what it might be like. If you go to a place on 11am on a Monday you may get a whole different vibe then on a Sat morning.

jolonicc

Postby jolonicc » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 8:52 am

Our place in Novena doesnt have any kids at all. Pretty much just all of us have dogs.