Singapore Expats Forum

PR and EP.. please help.. its URGENT

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 2:59 pm

sudharshanu wrote:I didnt receive the termination letter, i didnt get any notice period and i didnt get the salary for the last month.

Then you're still legally employed, no? Now you have even stronger grounds to sue them.

Seriously, don't let them push you around like this. Odds are they'll change their tune quite fast once they get a letter from your lawyer.

My employer just threw me off like a piece of garbage. I dont know what gives them the nerve to do so. I worked for them like a dog for almost a year and then this happens.

Looks on the bright side -- at least you were smart enough to get your PR! Because it would only have been a matter of time until they screwed you over in some other way.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sudharshanu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon, 18 May 2009

Postby sudharshanu » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 6:37 pm

jpatokal wrote:
sudharshanu wrote:I didnt receive the termination letter, i didnt get any notice period and i didnt get the salary for the last month.

Then you're still legally employed, no? Now you have even stronger grounds to sue them.

Seriously, don't let them push you around like this. Odds are they'll change their tune quite fast once they get a letter from your lawyer.

My employer just threw me off like a piece of garbage. I dont know what gives them the nerve to do so. I worked for them like a dog for almost a year and then this happens.

Looks on the bright side -- at least you were smart enough to get your PR! Because it would only have been a matter of time until they screwed you over in some other way.


Though I didnt receive the termination letter, they canceled my EP. Coz of that I cannot convert my PR approval into PR status. So I am just on Social Visit pass..

I went to MOM's Legal adviser today, all they said they could do was help me get my money back ..anything other than that I have to take to the court. I am not in such a position monetarily also I have signed so many clauses in my contract, which I will never understand and I know its all in their favor, could screw me over if I go to court.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 7:10 pm

sudharshanu wrote:I went to MOM's Legal adviser today, all they said they could do was help me get my money back ..anything other than that I have to take to the court. I am not in such a position monetarily also I have signed so many clauses in my contract, which I will never understand and I know its all in their favor, could screw me over if I go to court.

You're already screwed over, so you've got nothing to lose. You should easily recoup your court expenses if you're awarded even one month's salary (and you're probably owed at least two), and a decision in your favor might help with PR as well.

One thing you didn't mention -- have you found another job? Because if you have, then it should not be a problem to submit your new EP to get your PR.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sudharshanu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon, 18 May 2009

Postby sudharshanu » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 9:38 pm

jpatokal wrote:
sudharshanu wrote:I went to MOM's Legal adviser today, all they said they could do was help me get my money back ..anything other than that I have to take to the court. I am not in such a position monetarily also I have signed so many clauses in my contract, which I will never understand and I know its all in their favor, could screw me over if I go to court.

You're already screwed over, so you've got nothing to lose. You should easily recoup your court expenses if you're awarded even one month's salary (and you're probably owed at least two), and a decision in your favor might help with PR as well.

One thing you didn't mention -- have you found another job? Because if you have, then it should not be a problem to submit your new EP to get your PR.


I am still looking for a job. I've got only till 7th Aug 2009. I am an SAP ABAP Technical Consultant with 4+ years of experience. If anybody has any reference please send me, it ll be of great help.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:26 am

Does NTUC help with these kinds of problems? If there was an arbiter in this country they might be able to help...

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 3:04 pm

morenangpinay wrote:Does NTUC help with these kinds of problems? If there was an arbiter in this country they might be able to help...

NTUC is for trade unions, and "executives" like the original poster are not unionized.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: PR and EP.. please help.. its URGENT

Postby ksl » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 1:22 am

sudharshanu wrote:I got the PR approval letter and yet to copmlete the PR formalities but my EP got cancelled. Now will the PR formalities be continued if I get another EP within the 2 months time? Will the PR approval letter be valid or should we apply for PR again? Please help..[/b] :???:

I don't get angry often, but when i see people put in these kind of situations, i feel pretty sad, it ruins my day, I wish i could ignore it but cannot!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:15 am

i really believe you have been illegally displaced. get hold of civic groups like HOME they also provide free legal service. theyre mostly known for their work for domestic helpers but their advocacy is for foreign workers. so you might want to check with them. Even if they can't help, they might have the network to help you.

sudharshanu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon, 18 May 2009

Postby sudharshanu » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 1:16 am

morenangpinay wrote:i really believe you have been illegally displaced. get hold of civic groups like HOME they also provide free legal service. theyre mostly known for their work for domestic helpers but their advocacy is for foreign workers. so you might want to check with them. Even if they can't help, they might have the network to help you.


Thank you for the advice .. I will give them a call tomorrow and see how they can help me ...

sarvanan79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2009

Did you manage to resolve your problem? Please update us.

Postby sarvanan79 » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:20 pm

Did you manage to resolve your problem? Please update us.[b][/b]

sudharshanu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon, 18 May 2009

Postby sudharshanu » Wed, 22 Jul 2009 2:56 pm

sudharshanu wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:i really believe you have been illegally displaced. get hold of civic groups like HOME they also provide free legal service. theyre mostly known for their work for domestic helpers but their advocacy is for foreign workers. so you might want to check with them. Even if they can't help, they might have the network to help you.


Thank you for the advice .. I will give them a call tomorrow and see how they can help me ...


I called HOME and they cannot hep me either since I am not covered under employment act. They can help only work permit & s pass holders.

I guess my only option is to find a job within my social visit pass expiry date and produce the EP to ICA so I can get the PR approved.

theenquirer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 04 Oct 2009

PR through marriage to SG citizen vs. EP

Postby theenquirer » Sun, 04 Oct 2009 8:57 pm

Hello all,

Never realised there was an EP152 form to fill out in the first place...and it seems to have caused many lotsa trauma!

I have tons of questions and my spouse and I are really losing our minds and freakin out about this...help!!

I've numbered my questions; the questions are long, but should broadly require only yes / no answers...so hope that helps all the kindhearted souls who reply...

1a.
Would someone applying for PR status through marriage to a Singaporean citizen, have to fill out an EP152 form upon PR approval at all? Really hoping the answer is no....

1b.
IF THE ANSWER IS YES OR MAYBE....
And would that (whether finalising the approval for PR via marriage requires a filling out of an EP152 form) for instance, depend on what one declares in their PR application in terms of their employment status?

i.e. if you said you were employed in Singapore, you have to sign the EP152, but then if you said otherwise, then you don't fill out any such form...?

2a.
THE BIG GREY AREA.
What happens when say, you apply for PR through marriage, declaring you are currently employed by such and such company, but at the time when your PR application is being processed / gets approved, you are no longer with that company...should that really be a reason for the PR approval to be retracted at all....especially since you are applying basis marriage in the first place?

2b.
i.e.
When they are processing the PR application for instance, does ICA literally call up employers being listed in the forms to verify the information on our forms?

2c.
and at the end of the day...
Is the applicant's employment status even relevant in the first place as a criteria that impacts the likelihood of approval of PR status via marriage?

3.THE COMPLICATIONS
We would need to declare the applicant's employment status because that is the basis for the applicant legally residing in Singapore...i.e. on an EP. And the forms give stern warnings about false declarations of any kind...

however...

Would the fact that the applicant was not 'duly' downgraded to an Spass due to interim paycuts (when salary drops below the 2500SGD benchmark to qualify for an EP) impact approval somehow?...e.g. by making the applicant's legal status look ambiguous?

The eventual downgrading to the Spass may not happen because there is talk of the employment being terminated.

argh!!!!

looking forward to hearing from your experiences. thanks!!

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Re: PR through marriage to SG citizen vs. EP

Postby econoMIC » Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:22 pm

theenquirer wrote:Hello all,

Never realised there was an EP152 form to fill out in the first place...and it seems to have caused many lotsa trauma!

I have tons of questions and my spouse and I are really losing our minds and freakin out about this...help!!

I've numbered my questions; the questions are long, but should broadly require only yes / no answers...so hope that helps all the kindhearted souls who reply...

1a.
Would someone applying for PR status through marriage to a Singaporean citizen, have to fill out an EP152 form upon PR approval at all? Really hoping the answer is no....

If you applied in the spouse of Singaporean category then no you don't, only form 4A is needed.

1b.
IF THE ANSWER IS YES OR MAYBE....
And would that (whether finalising the approval for PR via marriage requires a filling out of an EP152 form) for instance, depend on what one declares in their PR application in terms of their employment status?

Not needed. See above

2a.
THE BIG GREY AREA.
What happens when say, you apply for PR through marriage, declaring you are currently employed by such and such company, but at the time when your PR application is being processed / gets approved, you are no longer with that company...should that really be a reason for the PR approval to be retracted at all....especially since you are applying basis marriage in the first place?

Doesn't really matter as you are applying as the spouse of a citizen. You could contact ICA though and just update them on this detail, which I recommend

2b.
i.e.
When they are processing the PR application for instance, does ICA literally call up employers being listed in the forms to verify the information on our forms?

If you applied as the spouse of a Singaporean with her sponsoring you, nope. This doesn't mean you shouldn't lie though. They will be able to check with IRAS though I guess.

2c.
and at the end of the day...
Is the applicant's employment status even relevant in the first place as a criteria that impacts the likelihood of approval of PR status via marriage?

Yes, we believe though but the actual points system is not public. Being employed though is a good thing. The more you earn, the more points you will score presumably

3.THE COMPLICATIONS
We would need to declare the applicant's employment status because that is the basis for the applicant legally residing in Singapore...i.e. on an EP. And the forms give stern warnings about false declarations of any kind...

however...

Would the fact that the applicant was not 'duly' downgraded to an Spass due to interim paycuts (when salary drops below the 2500SGD benchmark to qualify for an EP) impact approval somehow?...e.g. by making the applicant's legal status look ambiguous?

The eventual downgrading to the Spass may not happen because there is talk of the employment being terminated.

argh!!!!

looking forward to hearing from your experiences. thanks!!

That sucks. I do believe however that it is your employer's duty to make arrangements on your EP if they cut your pay. Do declare your income though. If you applied using Form 4A for spouse of Singaporeans instead of Form4 this should not cause too much of a problem. Bottom line as long as you applied on Form 4A which means as the spouse of a Singaporean with your Spouse being your sponsor I do believe you shouldn't have many problems as long as you were honest with the details you provided. Good luck.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

theenquirer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 04 Oct 2009

PR via marriage to SG citizen vs EP - e appointment?

Postby theenquirer » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:40 am

Hi 'littlegreenman'!

really, thanks so much for your response and so soon after my post!
deeply appreciated.

really unfortunate how these processes are such a torture.

have been asking around, and i've gotten the same advice on telling the truth about the EP / SP ambiguity. the argument being also that the onus was on the employer in the first place and at the end of the day the employee has done no wrong....(plus given the documents they want from us, clearly the spotlight is being turned on the financial credibility of the spouse as a sponsor given our route of PR application…)

ENDLESS HURDLES…
…this whole thing about PR application by ‘appointment only’ on the ica website though…does that really mean now we cannot join the line in the wee hours of the morning as many others had done early this year? Would we be really turned down when our queue number is finally called after 5 hours? Has queueing for submission of documents been recently abolished?

Otherwise the soonest e-appointment at this time of the year currently stands at a whole 3 months away….which would introduce other complications…given the unstable employment situation.

Apparently one could submit applications while overseas…does that mean once someone is overseas, ‘by (e?)-appointment only’ no longer applies and it’s a walk-in? Could you say be a tourist somewhere and apply for PR at the local Singapore embassy?

: (

User avatar
econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 25 Sep 2009
Location: London/Singapore (back for good 29 Jul 2010)

Re: PR via marriage to SG citizen vs EP - e appointment?

Postby econoMIC » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 4:45 am

theenquirer wrote:...
ENDLESS HURDLES…
…this whole thing about PR application by ‘appointment only’ on the ica website though…does that really mean now we cannot join the line in the wee hours of the morning as many others had done early this year? Would we be really turned down when our queue number is finally called after 5 hours? Has queueing for submission of documents been recently abolished?

Otherwise the soonest e-appointment at this time of the year currently stands at a whole 3 months away….which would introduce other complications…given the unstable employment situation.

Apparently one could submit applications while overseas…does that mean once someone is overseas, ‘by (e?)-appointment only’ no longer applies and it’s a walk-in? Could you say be a tourist somewhere and apply for PR at the local Singapore embassy?

: (


That is the way it is. You need an appointment. I personally do not think it would do your application any good if you would try to pull a fast one and try to squeeze through without appointment as this is made clear on all forms and guideline.

Yes you can apply for PR while overseas, this however only works if you are currently living overseas and your spouse is Singaporean. So in your case you could fly back to your home country and apply there. As you are currently on an EP they might give you problems as well though, not sure. As mentioned this process is designed for spouses of Singaporeans living overseas.
a.k.a. littlegreenman


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests