Singapore Expats

Good Faith deposit- Tenant is the loser

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Poolview

Good Faith deposit- Tenant is the loser

Post by Poolview » Thu, 09 Jul 2009 3:37 pm

Dear all Tenant,
I sincerely advised you, pls dont pay your good faith deposit to the Landlord. At the end of the day, if you do not take up the unit or you dont agree with T&C in the Tenancy Agreement. you may lose your 50% or 100% of you deposit. nobody will help you, even the small claim court too. the procedure is long and any time you lost your $.

Pls take my advice and dont sign any LOI that is only protecting the Landlord.

If you want to, pls write the cheque dated the moved in date.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 4:43 pm

Why are there so many posts on rental disagreements? Do people have the same issues in other countries? Is it because there is a lack of laws here when it comes to renting.... if you don't give your 1 month's deposit to the landlord, is there an alternative place you can put it? An independent place so if disputes come up it will be dealt with impartially and fairly...? The laws (or lack of it) really favour landlords...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 5:30 pm

There are lack of laws protecting the tenants here. Sad but true.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:22 am

And why isn't more done about it? Do you think it is possible to form some sort of a group that has certain rules and regulations eg deposit held in trust by organisation X, landlord can't enter the place without given notice if the whole place is rented out - if there was some sort of a stronger organisation (rather than having to go to the small claims tribunal) and if tenants only rented from landlords who are part of this organisation and will abide to certain rules and regulations, would that help???

Just some thoughts...

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:01 pm

The vast majority of tenants are expats so no need to protect!

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:31 pm

macaroonie wrote:And why isn't more done about it? Do you think it is possible to form some sort of a group
if it is one or more persons under the new laws it will be considered an illegal assembly, using the ISA there will be no tribunals or formal charges and arrests and imprisonment will be swift and righteous.

:-P

ok, just to check something here; when does it happens that you pay the deposit before you actually take the place? i have never been asked to do that in the 6 plus places i have rented around here. i pay just before or after signing the tenancy agreement (which more often than not includes a clause that if the owner cancels the agreement before i move he will have to pay me back in full).

i am aware of some situations about tenants vs owners (and the other way around) which i dont intend to play down at all... but maybe i am the lucky guy or something considering that i have never got any issues with the owners over the deposit; except sometimes minor disagreements over the cost of minor repairs they want to deduct or what it is wear and tear or not... which most of the time is resolved by talking or by fixing it myself.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:42 am

yeah you must be one of the lucky guys :)