Singapore Expats

stay in touch with his ex

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
summer wawa

stay in touch with his ex

Post by summer wawa » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 2:54 pm

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and we are going very well and rare have any argument except talking about his ex-girlfriends. What bothering me are he still keeps their email, telephone and added them on face book. If you were I, would you ask him to delete them all? Nevertheless, I do not want to act too controlling. What can I do?

I felt very uncomfortable deep inside my heart. He said he no longer chat/stay in touch with his EXs. If so, why not delete them all? Whenever I bring up this topic and he will say I do not trust him?

I have no clue what's guy's thinking?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 3:43 pm

He's probably wondering why you are posting on a Singapore Forum with a Hong Kong IP address. He probably thinks you also have something on the side.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 4:45 pm

Ayoh Mod! So suspicious of people.

1) Ex should remain that way... as an EX. Or else he should get axed. Get it? Get it? hur hur hur.

P.s Maybe OP is trying to sell axes? or axe oil?
Just me

DazzleBabe

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 6:55 pm

If you are uncomfortable with him keeping in contact with his ex-girlfriends strictly as friends then you need to ask yourself why you have insecurities about this. Insecurity and jealosy are gigantic turn offs and will most likely end your relationship with your boyfriend before old friendships will.

dazzlebabe: you sound mightly suspicious since you assume he has to sever all ties with his exes.

summer wawa: sure sounds like you don't trust him...

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 7:14 pm

I'm still good friends with a couple of my Ex's, one of them went on to marry my best mate and I was his Best Man at their wedding. Now that was an interesting Best Man's speech!!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Re: stay in touch with his ex

Post by carteki » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 8:45 pm

summer wawa wrote:My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and we are going very well and rare have any argument except talking about his ex-girlfriends. What bothering me are he still keeps their email, telephone and added them on face book. If you were I, would you ask him to delete them all? Nevertheless, I do not want to act too controlling. What can I do?

I felt very uncomfortable deep inside my heart. He said he no longer chat/stay in touch with his EXs. If so, why not delete them all? Whenever I bring up this topic and he will say I do not trust him?

If you mean that much to him and you are really uncomfortable with it, then I would think that he should do as you ask. As he says - he's no longer in contact with them, it should be no hardship. At the moment he's given you no reason to trust that what he says is true by defending his right to maintain these friendships.

You can't make the decision for him. All you can do is decide whether you're happy with the status quo and if you're not are you going to leave or live with it?

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 5:21 pm

Do you keep in contact with any of your exes? If yes, how do you feel about that if he finds out, and what do you tell him?

I guess sometimes people still cherish the friendship s/he had and would remain in touch. Personal insecurities are very real and you may want to ask yourself why you feel that way. Do you feel threatened in anyway? Could you think of the things he does that shows his love for you?

If a significant other still keep in close contact with his/her ex, such as talking on the phone a lot, or private message or email a lot, then it signals some red light. Else, an occassional 'hi how have you been?' is fine.

sassy5
Regular
Regular

Post by sassy5 » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 5:24 pm

i dont think there is anything wrong keepin in touch with exes. it can be jus platonic... i guess u may have to deal with ur own issues of trust with him. :)

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 1:38 pm

I've never deleted anyone from my Facebook. My exes might still be on my facebook. I should probably check if they have deleted me! haha... the point being that just because your bf has his exes on his facebook doesn't mean he actually ever talks to them or looks at their profile or anything.

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Post by mondaymorningquarterback » Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:07 am

summer wawa wrote:My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and we are going very well and rare have any argument except talking about his ex-girlfriends. What bothering me are he still keeps their email, telephone and added them on face book. If you were I, would you ask him to delete them all? Nevertheless, I do not want to act too controlling. What can I do?

Bless your insecure heart. Its not a big deal. I keep all my ex's numbers but it doesnt mean anything. We've had good friendship in the past.

craigie_bear

Post by craigie_bear » Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:26 am

smayrhofer wrote:I've never deleted anyone from my Facebook. My exes might still be on my facebook. I should probably check if they have deleted me! haha... the point being that just because your bf has his exes on his facebook doesn't mean he actually ever talks to them or looks at their profile or anything.
no they are probably insecure and accepted their friend requests so not to upset them, well thats what i do

mschan

Post by mschan » Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:41 pm

Hi,
I don't see anything wrong if your bf still has his ex-girlfriends on his facebook. You see, I also keep my ex-boyfriends' name, pictures, email add and other contact details on my facebook. Once in a while I keep in touch with them but it doesn't mean anything more than what we are. We have kept ourselves as friends despite of the failure of our relationship. So for your boyfriend, I guess you just have to trust him that he is true and loyal to you. If you see that he treats you differently already then you have reason to be suspicious. But if he treats you really nice as his girlfriend, then you don't need to worry about those ex-gfs he had.
Life is what you make it.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 6:18 pm

Some people take longer to mature it seems!

by the way, it's nobodies business what the other one is doing, one needs to respect eachothers privacy, it appears insecurity is the problem, work on yourself!

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Post by SunWuKong » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 8:00 am

KSL has already said it, but I'd like to reiterate the sentiment more crassly, if that is possible :digging: :)

Rein any self respecting horse too tightly and it will buck up; and horses are far easier to keep than humans.

The secret to a good relationship is that both parties feel like they live without restriction. By restricting your partner in what they obviously want to do, you are slowly and ironically destroying what you love.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

$Pripps

Post by $Pripps » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 9:00 am

When I married my wife expected me to delete all ex girlfriend references , I thought she was very insecure in that she thought they were a real threat. I found it ridiculous but still complied out of respect for her feelings.

I later became aware of that she had previously cut ties with her exes in that manner, they didn't exist any longer for her so I guess she expected the same behavior from me.

That said, in today's society with social networks etc it is quite easy to re-establish a connection to an ex if one wants. It doesn't make any difference whether phone numbers/email addresses were deleted from some address book. So instead maybe you should think about why you want it deleted because it makes no significant difference in how he feels for you.

PS. My wife is Asian, maybe its a culture thing?