Singapore Expats Forum

question about PR or passport issue? lol

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

iwonder

question about PR or passport issue? lol

Postby iwonder » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 1:28 am

hi guys

this is what i'm facing: my passport (malaysia)is going to expired this Nov.
and my visa EP is going to expired a month before that.

currently i'm applying for PR and now queue for submit form.

here is the question: should i renew my passport now?
or i should wait until i get approval for PR? ( which i assume everything go smooth; if not will go to renew passport and visa as well)

if i'm renewing now, i should i have to so call" move " my visa to new passport? which i'm not sure does it cost me anything? or my visa in old passport will still applicable ( which i doubt)

or

i can renew once i get t PR, the renewing for new passport just need a day, so i can renew it first then go to do the PR process..

and one question about PR application.
there is a form Annex to form 4A for company to fill in, which i x want to.
why?
hmm...
firstly i x want company to know i'm applying for PR,
why?

hmm...when i first join this company, they promise to pay me SXXXx per month, but when i joined about a month or two, they reduce my pay ( a lot! about 20%)and the reason is i'm inexperience, i can accept that i'm lack of experience, is ok. BUT, the job ad that i applied is for fresh graduate/ 1 years experience, which i ald told them in interview i have no experience on this job but i'm having a good interest in this field. so now they take this reason to cut my pay, which they promise early?reasonable?
so after that, economy get bad and no OT no allowances...blar blar blar..which i can't blame...
i think it is unfair to me..., this is not only happened to me, my previous colleagues are left the company which they promise something but at the end is a lie. so what i felt now is i x think this is a good company to work with, they were just trying to bully on new guy like me paying low pay work like shit...they paid OT for S$5 per hour! which i think is ridiculous..

so back to question, so now i x want company know that i'm applying for PR, ( previous cases many employee left once got PR) and i THINK they will not agree to fill in the form base on their normal practise ( even though is just filling the information and company doesn't do any sponsorship with my application)
so i called ICA and ask does this form is necessary and feed back is no, i just need to write a letter explain why the form is not filled.

but now my concern is i read from web guiding on PR application, which supporting document ( like this form) is important and chances will be low is not attached together.

what do you guys think? thanks guys

came singapore since last year oct.

EP Q1, mechanical design, degree holder, previous experience was other engineering field 1 year.

chances to get PR? :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 9:24 am

Let me guess......

Your salary now is below the threshold for getting a Q1 visa (less than $2500/month correct?

If it is, did your company notify MOM? Or are they keeping quiet so that they can continue to not pay any levies?

As for the rest of your questions, afraid until you quit being so cryptic with all the funny x's all over the place it's too much trouble to try to decipher what you are saying. sorry. If you will clean it up, I'll try to answer you.

sms

iwonder

Postby iwonder » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:06 am

THANKs FOR YOUR REPLY SMS

yes you are right, now my salary is lower than 2500 ( which the XXX mean, the rest x is "do not")
which they promised to pay me when interview. 2300 in probation and 2500 after confirmation.

they're not only postponed my probation period to 6 month and they did not increase a single cent after confirmation!

they gave a letter for me to sign which i agree to accept the new salary (2000)
( i have no choice, as i said i'm lack of experience and i wish to gain my experience in this field)

i don't think they inform mom or related party as i didn't ask to change my EP to S pass or so on.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:43 am

They are required by law to inform MOM of any relevant changes to your contract if it changes your Pass requirements. Your work pass should be changed to an S pass. It's not a matter of what you want, it was the law requires. The company is apparently trying to just keep from paying the levy and screwing you as well.

You are correct. You do not need the company's permission and you don't need their sponsorship. Just write a letter indicating that your company has proven in the past that they do not like employees who apply for PR therefore, you would prefer not to use them. This is been happening for the past couple of years and now ICA understands that so companies are vindictive so have dropped the requirement that it is necessary to have the annex A.

As far as your application for PR goes. Go ahead and renew your passport so you don't find yourself in a jam later. You can take your new passport down to MOM to get the relevant chop put into your new passport without a problem. Also, you would need to notify ICA regarding your PR application to update your file with the new passport particulars. If you try it the other way you may find that it takes longer to get your PR than first supposed. The cost, if anything at all, will be negligible.

iwonder

Postby iwonder » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 1:11 pm

thanks for your info sms, much appreciated

ok so now:

the type of work pass changing is the company responsibility isn't? do i need to do anything ? or just keep quiet until i get my PR ( if i got it)?

you did mentioned about paying levy, i know company have to pay some amount to government of their employee who holding the work permit, does S pass need to pay as well? what will happen when i submit the form and show to officer about my salary, when they noticed that i should change to S pass instead of EP, will they inform company and ask them to pay the levy? or at the end my company will come back to me to ask me to pay the levy or deduct my salary because of this?

since i'm suppose to change to S pass but i didn't do so/ company didn't ask me to do so, will it affect my PR application?

i didnt ask my boss about filling the form yet as i noticed that they are not helping employee doing so, (maybe i didn't noticed, but from the way they treat me, i do not want to request anything from them!)

so does any real case that they got the PR but didn't submit the form?

to be honest, because of this case, which they treat me and previous employee in company, i start don't like Singaporean. sorry to who reading this are singaporean but it is really so disappointed.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 1:41 pm

iwonder wrote:thanks for your info sms, much appreciated

ok so now:

the type of work pass changing is the company responsibility isn't? do i need to do anything ? or just keep quiet until i get my PR ( if i got it)?

It is the employer's responsibility to ensure that he stays within the legal framework of the MOM. You need to do nothing.

you did mentioned about paying levy, i know company have to pay some amount to government of their employee who holding the work permit, does S pass need to pay as well? what will happen when i submit the form and show to officer about my salary, when they noticed that i should change to S pass instead of EP, will they inform company and ask them to pay the levy? or at the end my company will come back to me to ask me to pay the levy or deduct my salary because of this?

The company is required to pay a monthly levy of $50 for each S Pass holder. WP holder are at different rates, usually $150 or $240/mo depending on whether it's high or low levy (educational qualifications). If they come back to you and try to get you to pay it, just tell them you will take it to MOM to see if that is legal. (it isn't)

since i'm suppose to change to S pass but i didn't do so/ company didn't ask me to do so, will it affect my PR application?

No. S pass is issued by MOM, PR is issued by ICA.

i didnt ask my boss about filling the form yet as i noticed that they are not helping employee doing so, (maybe i didn't noticed, but from the way they treat me, i do not want to request anything from them!)

Again, you can always indicate in the letter that you are afraid of being let go by the company as they will have to start paying Employers CPF on your salary.

so does any real case that they got the PR but didn't submit the form?

They don't submit the form for PR, you do. If you ask them, they will either sign it, or say no. The gamble is that they don't let you go after finding out you are applying for PR. As it seems like the company is a crap company already, I wouldn't even bother asking them.

to be honest, because of this case, which they treat me and previous employee in company, i start don't like Singaporean. sorry to who reading this are singaporean but it is really so disappointed.

You must remember, especially in your case, there is no real difference between Singaporean and Malaysian bosses. See how Foreign labour are treated in Malaysia. One should never cast stones. Or for that matter see how minority citizens are treated in Malaysia.

There are bad employer in every country. That's the way of life. But always remember, nobody kidnapped you, nobody forced you to sign the contract. And nobody is forcing you to look for work outside your own country. Not putting you down, but just pointing out that life is not always fair. You have been had by the employer. You have an opportunity to gain PR. Go for it and then tell the employer to shove it - AFTER you have gained your PR and found another position!

iwonder

Postby iwonder » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 1:58 pm

now i'm much more clear now

really appreciate for your help SMS

appreciated.
thanks for your expertise advices. :)