Singapore Expats Forum

No idea

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
MikeyJ110

Postby MikeyJ110 » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 6:35 pm

I'm American! I live here. michael.julian.iii@gmail.com if you ever want to get together.

I moved here 10 days ago from boston. 22/m

stephiepao

Postby stephiepao » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:35 pm

Hi! I moved to Singapore on my own from Los Angeles in July. I am 22, born and raised in Los Angeles, but spent the last four years in Las Vegas for college.

I haven't met many Americans here, and would love to meet up with any fellow Americans for coffee or lunch or anything. My email is: stephiepao@gmail.com

Hope to meet some of you soon!

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:58 am

not sure if this is appropriate, but i think it might be a suitable occasion for new american expats that are non-club/association members make friends.

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

jshin

Another yankee checking in...

Postby jshin » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:35 am

I'm a US citizen, though only for the past 3 months (am Asian American). But I grew up and lived in the states for 35yrs before moving to Sing a month ago. Sorry but the most Southern that I am is the fact that I grew up in Souther California. :-) I did live in DC for a couple of years though.

I've met a healthy number of other Americans already. Partly b/c I play American football every Saturday with a group of guys near Bugis. A handful of the regulars are Americans. My wife is from Asia, but I think several of the others have girl friends and wives from the states.

jake.b

Postby jake.b » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 1:14 pm

Been here for 2 months, will be here another year and a half or so. I'm 25/M from Houston, Texas.

I happen to know a few of the marines at the Embassy here. It has been a great way to meet people from the states.

Anyone know popular hangouts for single western women (if such a place exists...)?

westernartist

Club for those new to Singapore?

Postby westernartist » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 2:41 pm

I just (6 weeks ago) moved to Singapore from Santa Barbara, California. When we moved to Santa Barbara (4 years ago) we joined a local chapter of a large U.S. organization, "Newcomers," which was open to anyone who had been in a given city less than 6 months. Once you joined, you could only be a member for 2 years and then your membership expired, but by then you had made tons of friends and didn't need the club anymore anyway! Our particular group had 600 members at the time we joined, so we met lots of new interesting people within a couple of months of moving there.

The club offered all kinds of activities (social, sports, gardening, wine-tasting, arts, film, etc), all of which were planned and coordinated by the members themselves working in small committees. Events were given life by the people who had a certain interest and were willing to work together to create and put on an event. Those who attended the events paid enough to cover the costs, so nobody on the organizing committee had to be 'out' any money -- if there was not enough interest in a particular event, it was simply cancelled.

The best part was that EVERYBODY in the club was was new in town and NOBODY knew anybody, so we were all in the same boat. It was awesome to easily find somebody to go have an adventure with.

I will go online and find out if there is a Newcomers Chapter here, or the possibility of starting one, which would certainly be easier than 'reinventing the wheel.' If not, and if anyone is interested in helping to create a simplified version of that group for Singapore newcomers, I'm willing to coordinate it. It was such a big help to me in a new community where I didn't know anybody and if it could work here, I know it would help all us expats.

It would first require a few people willing to brainstorm with me to to get it started. Members would pay a small fee to join, and I could send out a newsletter with the events, locations, etc listed, plus a list of members and a paragraph on their professional background, family, interests, or whatever they want to say, and a contact email. Then, each month there would be a 'new members' section which would have the paragraph of info plus a contact email for all the new folks that had joined that month.

I have mucho experience with conference and event administration, marketing, and graphic design. But it's way too much for one person!! so who out there has time and energy to brainstorm with me on this?

Is there any interest?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Club for those new to Singapore?

Postby taxico » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 4:11 pm

westernartist wrote:a local chapter of a large U.S. organization, "Newcomers," which was open to anyone who had been in a given city less than 6 months.

Is there any interest?

yes! i was thinking of something along that line too!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

jake.b

Postby jake.b » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 9:36 pm

@Western

I would be interested in something like that. A group of friends here is re-starting a "supper club" that meets every 2 weeks for dinner but many of the people have been in SG for a while.

zulie

Postby zulie » Mon, 02 Nov 2009 5:34 pm

Hi - did anything come of the newbie's group? Would like to join if anthing is has been/is being organized.

Thanks

zulie73@yahoo.com

hulkhoganrules

Postby hulkhoganrules » Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:07 pm

hi,

not sure if anything ever came out of this post/string either but am interested in meeting a few americans in singapore! although i'm asian, i'm american born so i do get homesick. actually have met quite a few people ranging from australians to europeans to singaporeans and everyone is great. but i do miss being able to drop rocky & bullwinkle, degrassi junior high, and saved by the bell references without explaining :) i guess i've also dated myself as an 80s child.

i know of this one group, mostly european, that does a wed nite dinner gathering, very low key and simple at food courts or hawker centers. maybe us americans can do a similar one every week or other week. if interested, email me at j.john.ku@gmail.com, i'd be happy to organize the first few.

Texas Nikki

I'm American

Postby Texas Nikki » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 2:13 pm

I feel the same way! I live on the east side and have met 1 American. My husband and I went to the 4th of July celebration but everyone we came across was drunk or not very friendly... I get made fun of all the time for saying y'all. Email me if you every want to get together- nnn1981@hotmail.com

Nikki

shalamazoo

Postby shalamazoo » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:13 pm

i'm Yankee also, will arrive into SG early March, love to be part of the group.

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Postby amarettoSour » Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:28 pm

i've been in Singapore for about 2 months, never met any americans as well.. i myself am not "american" per se, but i lived in SoCal / Los Angeles for about 10 years. prior to moving to Singapore. would love to meet up! :)