VISA

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
lulu79
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 5:20 am

VISA

Post by lulu79 » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 5:26 am

I was wondering if anyone could give me information on getting a work visa.

Basically my partner (not married) has gotten a job in Singapore and I wish to come as well and would need to work too.

Can I get a visa in advance, or would I need to get an employer to sponsor me out there? I've read about the PEP but am not sure whether I can apply for this.

I am CIMA qualified with 8 years experience in MNC's.

I am a British passport holder

Help!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: VISA

Post by ksl » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 2:55 pm

lulu79 wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me information on getting a work visa.

Basically my partner (not married) has gotten a job in Singapore and I wish to come as well and would need to work too.

Can I get a visa in advance, or would I need to get an employer to sponsor me out there? I've read about the PEP but am not sure whether I can apply for this.

I am CIMA qualified with 8 years experience in MNC's.

I am a British passport holder

Help!
If you can document that you cohabit, he can apply for a dependant pass for you, you will have to legally take oath with a solicitor and prove that you live together as man and wife. Once you get here you can also apply for work, which isn't at all easy. But probably the best way to arrive here, together.

globalrecruit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 4:39 pm
Location: singapore

Re: VISA

Post by globalrecruit » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 9:18 pm

You are give about 1 month of visa upon entry into singapore. if after your 1 month and you are still ot able to find the job yet, you can renew your visa for another month online at the ICA website.

If you are able to source for an employer by then, you can go down to MOM office to extend your visa while your work permit is being process.


Hope this information is helpful

Cheers !



lulu79 wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me information on getting a work visa.

Basically my partner (not married) has gotten a job in Singapore and I wish to come as well and would need to work too.

Can I get a visa in advance, or would I need to get an employer to sponsor me out there? I've read about the PEP but am not sure whether I can apply for this.

I am CIMA qualified with 8 years experience in MNC's.

I am a British passport holder

Help!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39643
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: VISA

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:34 pm

globalrecruit wrote:You are give about 1 month of visa upon entry into singapore. if after your 1 month and you are still ot able to find the job yet, you can renew your visa for another month online at the ICA website.

If you are able to source for an employer by then, you can go down to MOM office to extend your visa while your work permit is being process.


Hope this information is helpful

Cheers !

It would have been more helpful had you told her she could get a 90 day visa just by asking for it when she comes through immigration (UK citizens, US, Aus and EU citizens can get 90 days visas on arrival.

And your other posting soliciting business has been deleted as will any further attempts to solicit business in the open forum.

moderator
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:43 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ching » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 7:54 pm

You could also apply online for an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC), which would give you a year's stay in Singapore while looking for work.

This mainly depends on whether you have a degree from a school that's recognized on the EPEC list...
Tips from expats living in Singapore - http://www.livinginsingapore.org

lechd7d
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 1:41 pm

Post by lechd7d » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 1:44 pm

I was under the assumption that in order to apply for an EPEC and be allowed to stay up to one year you had to already hold an Employment pass. Is this not the case?


Thanks
-Chris

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 4:50 pm

lechd7d wrote:I was under the assumption that in order to apply for an EPEC and be allowed to stay up to one year you had to already hold an Employment pass. Is this not the case?


Thanks
-Chris
No, this is not the case. The EPEC means a) you can look for a job, and b) you would personally qualify for an EP. However, the job the company might offer you would also have to qualify for an EP so an EPEC is not a guarantee of an EP.

lechd7d
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 1:41 pm

Post by lechd7d » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 1:37 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
lechd7d wrote:I was under the assumption that in order to apply for an EPEC and be allowed to stay up to one year you had to already hold an Employment pass. Is this not the case?


Thanks
-Chris
No, this is not the case. The EPEC means a) you can look for a job, and b) you would personally qualify for an EP. However, the job the company might offer you would also have to qualify for an EP so an EPEC is not a guarantee of an EP.
Oh Awesome! So If you are granted an EPEC then you are allowed to stay for up to a year to look for a job? Thats very cool. Thanks for the clarification.

I have read the terms of the EPEC and will go ahead and apply. Would a graduate fresh out of school with a Masters Degree in engineering from a Top of the line University in the U.S.A Qualify for an EPEC if the only working experience she has is internships/Co-op experience?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 2:56 pm

lechd7d wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
lechd7d wrote:I was under the assumption that in order to apply for an EPEC and be allowed to stay up to one year you had to already hold an Employment pass. Is this not the case?


Thanks
-Chris
No, this is not the case. The EPEC means a) you can look for a job, and b) you would personally qualify for an EP. However, the job the company might offer you would also have to qualify for an EP so an EPEC is not a guarantee of an EP.
Oh Awesome! So If you are granted an EPEC then you are allowed to stay for up to a year to look for a job? Thats very cool. Thanks for the clarification.

I have read the terms of the EPEC and will go ahead and apply. Would a graduate fresh out of school with a Masters Degree in engineering from a Top of the line University in the U.S.A Qualify for an EPEC if the only working experience she has is internships/Co-op experience?
My view is it is a possible maybe but not very likely. You may qualify for the EPEC (and EP) from an educational perspective but with no experience and no real income it is difficult to see how MOM would grant you an EPEC. Stranger things have happened, though.

OTOH, finding work will be very difficult because of the need of an employer to justify a non-local hire. Unless you've got a specialty in strong demand, and not found in Singapore, you'll not easily get a job offer.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests