Singapore Expats

giving birth in singapore. please help

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:50 pm

isnt the long term visit pass considered a social visit pass?whats a social visit pass?just short time visit pass?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 3:01 pm

shinya1 wrote:isnt the long term visit pass considered a social visit pass?whats a social visit pass?just short time visit pass?
Nope, Social Visit Pasaa aka SVP has a standard Bog Visa of 30 days to 90 days max depending on what foreign PP you are holding. M'sia or Indonesian from Batam will sometimes get even less than that 1 day to 14 days depending on border control officer

LTSVP starts from 3 months to 5 years but on the hindsight you can only live here but you cannot work . If you do find work , then you must change your Pass to EP . You have to be on a sponsor by a Sger whom minimum income is $2.8K under LTSVP
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 4:53 pm

So for someone with similar senario and is planning to have a kid with a china wife. The best way to do it is to have a min income of $2800+ a month, make sure wife does not have workpermit in sg and have never worked in singapore before you register for ROM,sponsor wife to get a LTSVP, stay in singapore for 180 days at least in 2 yrs , then have a kid.
What are the chances of kid becoming sg citizen in most cases assuming wife does not have bad record? like over 80% u would say?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 20 Feb 2012 3:22 am

shinya1 wrote:So for someone with similar senario and is planning to have a kid with a china wife. The best way to do it is to have a min income of $2800+ a month, make sure wife does not have workpermit in sg and have never worked in singapore before you register for ROM,sponsor wife to get a LTSVP, stay in singapore for 180 days at least in 2 yrs , then have a kid.
What are the chances of kid becoming sg citizen in most cases assuming wife does not have bad record? like over 80% u would say?
You are something to begin with. First and foremost, we are not ICA nor MOM nor any agencies you would assume. If you did assume we are one of them , then you are DEAD WRONG.
If you did not, then you are barking up the wrong tree. Who knows what percentage. If we tell you your chances are very good and you did not get it, you will blame us, On the flip side if we did not tell you, then you are telling everyone we are not helpful.
Sometimes you need to open up your cork brain and answer yourself these questions. If you cannot find anything inside your brain, then why ask,coz you will get the same reply.
Some applicants which tick all the right boxes still did not get approve. Hence it is better to toe the line rather than not . Then on, at least you know you have tried your best
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:09 pm

What are the procedure to apply for the child to be singaporean by birth if we met the requirement? http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=338 follow this to seek permission first and whats next?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 5:37 pm

shinya1 wrote:What are the procedure to apply for the child to be singaporean by birth if we met the requirement? http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=338 follow this to seek permission first and whats next?
One of the parent must be a Sger or else no deal. That link only tells you once you meet the requirement as a foreigner that you can deliver your child in SG. You have 42 days to register your child at your foreign embassy in SG.

shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 8:58 pm

i am a singaporean,may i know what are the procedure to apply for the child to be singaporean by birth if we met the requirement?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 9:55 pm

Since 2004 Children born overseas, as long as either parent was a Singaporean, are eligible for Singapore Citizenship upon registration.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=7291

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=175

Form V107

The following taken from Wiki:
Citizenship by birth

A person is a Singaporean citizen by birth if he or she is born in Singapore with at least one parent who is a Singaporean citizen.

However, a child whose father is a foreign diplomat who enjoys immunity in Singapore will not be granted Singaporean citizenship even if his or her mother is Singaporean. The gender-specific language of this clause allows an unusual scenario where a child born in Singapore whose mother is a foreign diplomat and whose father is Singaporean will obtain Singaporean citizenship by birth but not if the gender roles are reversed.
Now, let me tell you what can happen.......

Posted by me in June 2009
When a Work Permit holder (female) enters the country and has her pass issued, she is also informed that she cannot marry a Singaporean as long as she is on a work permit AND after she finishes her Work Permit, she has to leave the country. If that isn't enough, Once she has worked in Singapore, by law, she MUST GET PERMISSION to marry a Singaporean. If she does not get permission to marry a Singaporean from the Singapore Authorities, She will be not allowed to enter Singapore and will have to wait endless amounts of time to be allowed back in even though the Husband has a job and so forth. I have a nephew living with me with that exact problem. His wife finished her contract here and later they got married in the Philippines. They then returned to Singapore and she initially got a LTSVP but when it was time for renewal she was forced to leave the country (with a 6 month old baby). We've been to the MP several times and also with the Minister for Home Affairs appealing this thing and we are still battling it. It's a bit rough on the father AND the mother (hopefully this doesn't go on too long as then the child might start feeling it as well).
Granted my nephew's situation was escalated due to MOM but the fact remains that the CAN refuse to renew the LTVP. This means the mother returns home and if her country will not grant citizenship to the child, then the father will have to possibly raise the child by himself and his parents.

Posted by me in June 2010
In my case, my nephew and his little girl are living with me as the baby has Singapore citizenship (was born here) but then the mother was refused renewal of her LTVP and was banished back to the 'peens. The baby went with her but after a year, the baby was not allowed to stay there either as she didn't have a 'peens passport or citizenship.
My nephew and the little girl, now 4 years old are still living me, Father Theresa, and my wife, Mother Theresa. It's now Feb 2012 and no hope in sight as my nephew doesn't make enough money and they broke MOM's cardinal law and they had a girl instead of a boy (cannon fodder for the war machine).

SO. Yes, if the baby is born in Singapore, as long as the Father is a Singapore Citizen, the child will automatically gain Singapore Citizenship. You still need to apply for the LTVP and the form for giving birth in Singapore though.

Hope that this clarifies it for you.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ratskcud

Post by Ratskcud » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:24 pm

Dear all,

need some advice here. My Thai gf is pregnant, she is here on social visit, but had been a WP holder last year.

I'm a Singaporean currently going thru a divorce (no children).

What is the better approach to having my gf & child to stay together as a family in Singapore?

thanks for all advices.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:44 pm

Ratskcud wrote:Dear all,

need some advice here. My Thai gf is pregnant, she is here on social visit, but had been a WP holder last year.

What is the better approach to having my gf & child to stay together as a family in Singapore?

thanks for all advices.
Marry her. But you will have to wait until you finalise your divorce before marrying her.

Before you marry her, get approval from MOM first as she was a former WP holder.

If you can't marry her by the time she delivers, marry her later and legally adopt her child.

So until you do the above, she cannot be in Singapore as your spouse.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:50 pm

thanks for all advices.
It would appear that you have well and truly stuffed it up. I'm assuming that you are the father. As you are already married, you cannot do anything at all. As she was on a WP previously, her only option, IF it were there, would have been to get permission from MOM to marry you. But as that option is not available because you fired your weapon with the safety off and on the wrong firing range as well, she will probably not be allowed to stay here at all let alone give birth here. In fact, she needs to get permission to give birth here. I'm afraid you are going to have to go to Thailand if you want to be with here because even she gives birth, your name will not be on the birth certificate and the baby will probably be stateless until the baby's birth is registered in Thailand. Please read the following link for all the details required just to get permission to give birth here.....

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=338
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ratskcud

Post by Ratskcud » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:03 pm

the lynx wrote:

thanks for all advices.
Marry her. But you will have to wait until you finalise your divorce before marrying her.

Before you marry her, get approval from MOM first as she was a former WP holder.

If you can't marry her by the time she delivers, marry her later and legally adopt her child.

Thanks for the advice, does the marriage have to be done in Singapore?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:05 pm

Ratskcud wrote:
the lynx wrote:

thanks for all advices.

Thanks for the advice, does the marriage have to be done in Singapore?
Of course! If you want her to be in Singapore legally with you!

But first, get permission from MOM to marry her because of her former WP status.

And before that, finalise your divorce first (otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if MOM rejects your request for approval).

Ratskcud

Post by Ratskcud » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

thanks for all advices.
It would appear that you have well and truly stuffed it up. I'm assuming that you are the father. As you are already married, you cannot do anything at all. As she was on a WP previously, her only option, IF it were there, would have been to get permission from MOM to marry you. But as that option is not available because you fired your weapon with the safety off and on the wrong firing range as well, she will probably not be allowed to stay here at all let alone give birth here. In fact, she needs to get permission to give birth here. I'm afraid you are going to have to go to Thailand if you want to be with here because even she gives birth, your name will not be on the birth certificate and the baby will probably be stateless until the baby's birth is registered in Thailand. Please read the following link for all the details required just to get permission to give birth here.....

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=338
Thanks. What difference would it make whether the baby is to be born in SG or TH? Understood from the ICA rules that even if she gives birth in SG the child will not be a SG citizen by default.

Would it be a better choice to deliver the baby in TH & register my name as the father of the child there?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:41 pm

The only difference is that Singapore may not give her permission to have the child here as a) needs to submit marriage certificate and b) father is not able to marry her and finally c) It doesn't really matter where she has the child as unless a valid marriage certificate can be produced, the child will NOT get Singaporean citizenship.

The only way you are going to be able to stay together as a family is if you immigrate to her country. That, unfortunately, is about the size of it. Oh, my grand-niece just celebrated her 5th birthday. She hasn't seen her mother since she was 2 years old. (except via skype and FB photos). Sad state of affairs.