Singapore Expats

giving birth in singapore. please help

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
SGvivi

giving birth in singapore. please help

Post by SGvivi » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 2:26 am

Hi,

I'm from China and I'm married to a Singaporean. I'm currently on a social visit pass (valid for 2 months) in Singapore. I'm already 4 months pregnant and we are intending to deliver the child in Singapore. I understand that I have to obtain the "Visitor Seeking Permission To Deliver A Child In Singapore" visit pass from ICA in order to permit my stay until the child is delivered.

However i could not quite understand one of the terms required for the above visit pass:

Letter from the Embassy or High Commission of applicant's country stating that her newborn child will follow the parent's nationality and a valid travel document of that country will be issued to the newborn child

Of course i want my child to follow the nationality of his father(Singaporean) but where do i obtain this letter? Can i obtain it from the China Embassy in Singapore? Do they provide such services?

Please help if anyone has similar experiences or they know where to get it

Concerns
:(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 7:05 am

No chance if you are on a social visit pass. Are you legally married? Were you here on a Work Permit? If you were on a Work Permit, did you get permission to marry from the government? This is designed to keep out 3rd world migrants who think that they can get permanent residence here by having given birth to a Singapore Citizen. You will need to go to the Chinese Embassy to obtain the letter I would think.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:43 am

But the child would if allowed to be born here NOT the father's nationality but the Mother's. So Chinese. But as SMS say very very unlikely you will be allowed to deliver here.
Zeenit

SGvivi

Post by SGvivi » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:36 am

Yes we are legally married in Singapore. Of course i know there is no way to deliver the child with the social visit pass. We have already contacted ICA and they told us to apply for the 'Visitor Seeking Permission To Deliver A Child In Singapore' visit pass.

The problem now lies in where to obtain the letter as stated in my first post. I'm not sure if the China embassy in Singapore provide such services, then i might have to travel back to my country to get the paperwork done. And i dont even know where in my country would provide such services too. :cry:

Tribble

Re: giving birth in singapore. please help

Post by Tribble » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 3:10 am

SGvivi wrote:
However i could not quite understand one of the terms required for the above visit pass:

Letter from the Embassy or High Commission of applicant's country stating that her newborn child will follow the parent's nationality and a valid travel document of that country will be issued to the newborn child

Of course i want my child to follow the nationality of his father(Singaporean) but where do i obtain this letter? Can i obtain it from the China Embassy in Singapore? Do they provide such services?

Please help if anyone has similar experiences or they know where to get it

Concerns
:(
What this is stating is that you need to make a visit to the Embassy of the Peoples Republic of China.

Contact information is located here:

http://www.chinaembassy.org.sg/eng/lsqw/t165684.htm

Again:

You are the applicant as you are the one seeking permission to have the child here, Singapore requires that your child be born a citizen of the Peoples Republic of China and not a citizen of the Republic of Singapore.

Singapore wants you to assure them that you will seek your child to also have a visit pass and a Chinese Passport. I think the visit pass for the child is limited to 42 days before the child must leave Singapore.

Again, your child cannot be born as a Singapore Citizen.

The registration of marriage between a non-Singaporean and a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident does not automatically accord the non-Singaporean spouse the right of permanent residence in Singapore.

SGvivi

Post by SGvivi » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 2:58 pm

but my husband is a Singaporean. Is there no way the child nationality can be a Singaporean after birth?

What documents are required to submit to the China Embassy in Singapore?

We are planning to head down to the Embassy on Monday.

Thanks everyone for the useful information

Tribble

Post by Tribble » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 3:34 pm

SGvivi wrote:but my husband is a Singaporean. Is there no way the child nationality can be a Singaporean after birth?
You see, the permit is for you to have a child here, not your husband, so the permit and it's restrictions apply to you and your child.

In this case MOM ignores the father.

The only other thing you can try is get your husband to sponsor you to be a PR so when your child is born the child will be PR and you can then both apply to become citizens.

Otherwise you will both have to leave the country around 40 days after the child is born.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: giving birth in singapore. please help

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 5:29 pm

Tribble wrote:
Again, your child cannot be born as a Singapore Citizen.

The registration of marriage between a non-Singaporean and a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident does not automatically accord the non-Singaporean spouse the right of permanent residence in Singapore.
As a further adjunct to that, years ago (don't know about now) if you married a Singaporean you had to sign a letter acknowledging that fact BEFORE the Registry of Marriage would marry you, else, no deal. I know.
However, if the situation is reversed and the Singaporean is the woman, the kids are Singaporean by birth and depending on the Citizenship of the Spouse could conceivably have dual citizenship.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:49 pm

hi,

i read in some forum and also wiki and it says "A person is a Singaporean citizen by birth if he or she is born in Singapore with at least one parent who is a Singaporean citizen" .Has the law changed recently or something?Why cant the child be singapore citizen since the father is a singapore citizen?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:11 pm

The baby can, IF the baby was born in Singapore and the mother must have some form of residency here other than a social visit pass. The Permission to give birth in Singapore visit pass is still a social visit pass. So the child cannot be a Singaporean at birth because you are not a permanent resident.

shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 1:35 am

so the only way for the newborn to automatically quality for a singapore citizen is 1 singapore citizen husband + 1 PR mum AT least? But that is not what the wiki quote says.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 3:26 am

shinya1 wrote:so the only way for the newborn to automatically quality for a singapore citizen is 1 singapore citizen husband + 1 PR mum AT least? But that is not what the wiki quote says.
If my memory serves me right. Go and have your delivery overseas. Then on come back to register child as a Sger. I cannot find the link now as I am out and about . Will look for you asap
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 6:52 am

Shinya1, do you believe everything Wiki says? It's written and edited by normal folks who think they have a clue. It's not necessarily correct. You need to read Wiki's disclaimers.......

:roll:

shinya1

Post by shinya1 » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:17 am

"the mother must have some form of residency" , are you refering to her being a PR or if she own a resale flat with the singapore husband, her child will be able to be a singaporean?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:29 pm

Some form of residency means being a PR, LTVP holder of more than 6 months duration, EP, S Pass, PEP or WP (although the WP may create even more problems if the woman got married without permission from the MOM to marry - unless she was married BEFORE getting her WP) or DP (although if the husband is Singaporean or PR then she cannot get a DP as the spouse has to be on an EP).