Singapore Expats Forum

NEED ADViCE. small girl BIG DREAMS

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Nadya
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

NEED ADViCE. small girl BIG DREAMS

Postby Nadya » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 3:21 am

Hi All,

I've been doing some research recently on setting up a mobile food wagon here in singapore.I am a young singaporean female and doesnt have much experience in this business but i am very hardworking,entreprising,creative and willing to take the risk to make my dream a reality. To make this happen, i need to get the license issued by the National Enviroment Agency and i have to submit all the necessary approval form from the PUB, URA, LTA, HDB, ACRA,SCDF(for eg.the fire safety) etc.I will also be going to thailand at the end of july to find out more abt this food product. I reaaly need to speak(for coffee,maybe?) to someone who has experience or would like to share his/her idea or is willing to give advice on my current situation.

Thank you in advance.
Email me at ultimatepushcarts@gmail.com.
Last edited by Nadya on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:01 pm

Virtually all the entrepreneurs who tried this when the scheme was first released went bankrupt because the restrictions imposed were so strict. (Are there any left at all? Don't recall seeing any in years.) How will yours be different?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

willinsg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 22 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby willinsg » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:59 pm

shoot down a fledging idea, good job buddy. why not provide the girl with some help? our nation needs such people with guts to blaze a trail of their own. so what if it fails? just learn.
Men do not differ much in intellect, only zeal and hard work.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: NEED ADViCE. small girl BIG DREAMS

Postby ksl » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 1:04 am

Nadya wrote:Hi All,

I've been doing some research recently on setting up a mobile food wagon here in singapore.I am a young singaporean female and doesnt have much experience in this business but i am very hardworking,entreprising,creative and willing to take the risk to make my dream a reality. To make this happen, i need to get the license issued by the National Enviroment Agency and i have to submit all the necessary approval form from the PUB, URA, LTA, HDB, ACRA,SCDF(for eg.the fire safety) etc.I will also be going to thailand at the end of july to find out more abt this food product. I reaaly need to speak(for coffee,maybe?) to someone who has experience or would like to share his/her idea or is willing to give advice on my current situation.

Thank you in advance.
Email me at crue-lintention@hotmail.com.


A mobile food wagon is a great idea, and I have had some ideas of this for a long time! Although guaranteed my idea is completely different, to your idea.

Although the best thing about Singapore, is that you do not have to make the food yourself!

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:49 pm

willinsg wrote:shoot down a fledging idea, good job buddy. why not provide the girl with some help? our nation needs such people with guts to blaze a trail of their own. so what if it fails? just learn.

"So what if it fails"?!? I take it you're willing to fund her project and assume her debts if it fails? :o

An entrepreneur has to start with market research, and I'm telling her that, in 2005 when the scheme was originally introduced, everybody who tried failed. A little library research may thus help her avoid the same fate.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Nadya
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nadya » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 1:54 pm

jpatokal wrote:
willinsg wrote:shoot down a fledging idea, good job buddy. why not provide the girl with some help? our nation needs such people with guts to blaze a trail of their own. so what if it fails? just learn.

"So what if it fails"?!? I take it you're willing to fund her project and assume her debts if it fails? :o

An entrepreneur has to start with market research, and I'm telling her that, in 2005 when the scheme was originally introduced, everybody who tried failed. A little library research may thus help her avoid the same fate.


Hi all, thanks for replying to my post.

First of all, i would like to point out that,'businesses that offer a product or service that serves a completely new need have a 90% probability of failure. For example, the first company that introduced the personal computer went bust. It was IBM that brought the product back years later and made a a home run of it'. (quote by adam khoo in clueless in starting a business.)

I like to believe that my idea will be the next big thing and i am convince that this will work. Earlier, i went to NEA, the officer mention that this has been done before and it failed, but he is unable to elaborate on that,only that theres complications with the wastewater tank in the vehicle. I also heard that it was on the news back then. Do you know anything about that? It will really help in my research. Thanks.

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 2:17 pm

Nadya wrote:I like to believe that my idea will be the next big thing and i am convince that this will work.


quick question nadya, without providing me too much details i just want to know if your "mobile food stall" concept is lets say like the hotdog / kebab / arepa colombiana / you name it / type?

you know? the guy / girl in the corner and stuff?

i ask because i have always wondered about the lack of that type of service in singapore (i do understand that food is generally cheap and great all around... and there is always a delicious pratta place open 24 hours) but i sort of find the hotdogs / kebab / whatever little stands very charming.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 3:04 pm

The Original Mobile food Stall

Image

User avatar
xtasy010
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2007

Postby xtasy010 » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 3:52 pm

Just curious, don't the Ice Cream sellers on the 3 wheel rickshaws fall under Mobile Food Stall category?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 5:44 pm

xtasy010 wrote:Just curious, don't the Ice Cream sellers on the 3 wheel rickshaws fall under Mobile Food Stall category?
Probably yes, they would need a hawker licence. I was reading that food is still transported by mobile units, targetting soldiers out in remote areas.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Tue, 07 Jul 2009 9:27 pm

Good luck with your business idea.

It is well worth doing research on your target market to make sure that the opportunity is as lucrative as you hope. Remember to have a calculation in there for an hourly wage, as you will want someone to take over the running of each mobile food van so you can focus on new locations and more vans, this is what will make you money. Otherwise you could find working in the one van will suck the life right out of you.

To find out about coffee, chat with a drink stall owner at a Hawker Centre. Buy their product and chat to them about it. Buy more and ask more. If you are a paying customer with a genuine interest then people are usually willing to share.

If you studied at NTU or NUS you could go speak to some of the people in their entrepreneurship schools to get contacts who might be able to help you with the setup of your business.

Finally, it is a minor point, but consider setting up a new email for your venture, so that instead of cruelintention it reads more like "SingaporeMobileFood" or "Food2yourDoor" something that seems reasonable and related to what you are doing!

All the best with it!

Nadya
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nadya » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 2:58 am

wcs wrote:Good luck with your business idea.

It is well worth doing research on your target market to make sure that the opportunity is as lucrative as you hope. Remember to have a calculation in there for an hourly wage, as you will want someone to take over the running of each mobile food van so you can focus on new locations and more vans, this is what will make you money. Otherwise you could find working in the one van will suck the life right out of you.

To find out about coffee, chat with a drink stall owner at a Hawker Centre. Buy their product and chat to them about it. Buy more and ask more. If you are a paying customer with a genuine interest then people are usually willing to share.

If you studied at NTU or NUS you could go speak to some of the people in their entrepreneurship schools to get contacts who might be able to help you with the setup of your business.

Finally, it is a minor point, but consider setting up a new email for your venture, so that instead of cruelintention it reads more like "SingaporeMobileFood" or "Food2yourDoor" something that seems reasonable and related to what you are doing!

All the best with it!


Hey All,

Thanks again for replying to my post. It has help me in a certain way but im still having trouble executing this plan.

Earlier today,I drive to johor to view my mum's friend existing wagon(it is actually a caravan, i just need to have an idea how it look like). usually i dont like giving people too much detail, but since it is almost impossible to get this done i decide to attach a picture i took today(so you will have an idea what im talking about)

I told this friend about my business plan.He really like my idea but he remain skeptical due to Singapore strict rules. Questions like 'where do i throw the waste water after?' ' Can it be approve by the LTA or SCDF?' 'What about the back-up kitchen?' were asked. Now im still wondering if this business plan can still work.

That aside,i received a phone call today for a third interview for a job in a human resource department with a very good pay. Should i just go for the easier option? To work for a comfortable 9-5 job or follow my dreams?
Last edited by Nadya on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 8:33 pm

Nadya wrote:
wcs wrote:Good luck with your business idea.

It is well worth doing research on your target market to make sure that the opportunity is as lucrative as you hope. Remember to have a calculation in there for an hourly wage, as you will want someone to take over the running of each mobile food van so you can focus on new locations and more vans, this is what will make you money. Otherwise you could find working in the one van will suck the life right out of you.

To find out about coffee, chat with a drink stall owner at a Hawker Centre. Buy their product and chat to them about it. Buy more and ask more. If you are a paying customer with a genuine interest then people are usually willing to share.

If you studied at NTU or NUS you could go speak to some of the people in their entrepreneurship schools to get contacts who might be able to help you with the setup of your business.

Finally, it is a minor point, but consider setting up a new email for your venture, so that instead of cruelintention it reads more like "SingaporeMobileFood" or "Food2yourDoor" something that seems reasonable and related to what you are doing!

All the best with it!


Hey All,

Thanks again for replying to my post. It has help me in a certain way but im still having trouble executing this plan.

Earlier today,I drive to johor to view my mum's friend existing wagon(it is actually a caravan, i just need to have an idea how it look like). usually i dont like giving people too much detail, but since it is almost impossible to get this done i decide to attach a picture i took today(so you will have an idea what im talking about)

I told this friend about my business plan.He really like my idea but he remain skeptical due to Singapore strict rules. Questions like 'where do i throw the waste water after?' ' Can it be approve by the LTA or SCDF?' 'What about the back-up kitchen?' were asked. Now im still wondering if this business plan can still work.

That aside,i received a phone call today for a third interview for a job in a human resource department with a very good pay. Should i just go for the easier option? To work for a comfortable 9-5 job or follow my dreams?

my other email : spoonfedwagon@live.com


There are many mobile food units that satisfy European, USA and UK standards for hygiene, and I'm sure if you discuss this fact with the local authority, they will take it into account. Although all units built have to meet not only local food & hygiene regulations but fire safety too. I will post a link to some units later...

Its all about passion and having the money to do it, and to do it right... that means a great deal of planning and research, if you have not yet done the research I would say go for the job, first, save money and keep your ambition open, the idea should be good enough, that you can keep your job and still do the business, but it takes planning.

I would also believe you would have to do the health and hygiene course along with a fire safety course, before a licence would be issued, these course should be compulsory.

Carts & Trailers just to give you an idea, however you should never purchase a cart or trailer until you have tested your market, otherwise, you are just throwing money away, if the demand is not there.

http://www.trailertech.com/thecart.php

Another from Denmark

Image

chess_gal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 12 Jul 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby chess_gal » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 4:46 pm

I would assume you are a fresh graduate with no prior working experience so being young, this is the best time to start a business before you get too comfy with your salary.

I graduated 3 years ago, initially wanted to start my own business but parents were dead against it. But that does not stop me from my dreams. I save up, do my research, hit a few walls along the road and now I have a few side businesses (online shop & F&B outlet) running while working full time with a decent pay and position.

You can kill 2 birds with one stone but just make you hit the right bird.

Nadya
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nadya » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 6:18 pm

chess_gal wrote:I would assume you are a fresh graduate with no prior working experience so being young, this is the best time to start a business before you get too comfy with your salary.

I graduated 3 years ago, initially wanted to start my own business but parents were dead against it. But that does not stop me from my dreams. I save up, do my research, hit a few walls along the road and now I have a few side businesses (online shop & F&B outlet) running while working full time with a decent pay and position.

You can kill 2 birds with one stone but just make you hit the right bird.


Hi chess_gal,

At this moment. i already turn down the job offer as i would like to focus completely on this business plan. I spoke to a few experience businessman, and they strongly believe that i should start by renting a push cart at the interchange or Pasar Malam-Night Market (which im not entirely keen) to see how the demand for the food product is.

My main concern now is, what are the legal requirements that i bound to follow to place my pushcart like say, in the interchange? What else i need to do for the paperwork of 'law' before i can proceed setting up a push cart?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests