Singapore Expats Forum

whitey australians are racists...?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 1:28 pm

Bafana wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Keep trying, mod-troll . . . you are showing all the hallmarks of a country that only gained independence less than 50 years ago - the anger, anguish and Angst of those subjugated masses, suffering under the yoke of the British Imperialist forces.

This must be true as history shapes everyone, even the youngest among us . . . surely you would agree.

Really, you must as history is relevant to this topic . . .


Thanks for finally agreeing with my argument and the relevance of my posts, as for the other comments you are wasting your time as it is clear you are not interested in any real discussion and just want to cause trouble.

That said I kinda like the nick Mod-Troll.


Mate, you're just an arrogant ponce who really can't argue his way out of a wet paper bag . . . You 'argue' like a little boy whose toy has been taken away . . . grow up.

Yes, history shapes us, but again you fail to take into account the current Australian social structure which has very little to do with British Imperialism, your little bugbear.

Check out population stats, particularly pertaining to ancestry . . . can you do that without trying to be clever but instead looking like a little tanty-boy?

Oh I was being facetious, it wasn't a compliment
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:03 pm

Dog and Bone. Have to have the last word is it?

Sorry for getting u so wound up, didn't realize you take yourself so seriously. No need to get emotional.

Perhaps my ability to argue is substandard but I have tried my best and provided some substantiation as requested. You don't have to agree with me.

Anyway sticks and stones. Enjoy the rest of the weekend mate.

First time I've been called arrogant though. Got to work on my inferiority complex more dammit :cool:
Be Like Water

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 1:48 am

Come on guys, this issue can never be resolved, and history which was relative then, is not so relevant today. I have worked with refugees from several countries for 3 years, it felt like 5, because of their demands, they want the same rights as those that live in that Country, yet have never earned those rights.

So they use the race card. In todays world of human rights, I'm afraid that, the frustrations of minority races, may in the end just back fire...

I'm also a second class citizen in my own Country like so many people are, and it may well be true that the Empire did take wealth back in those days, although the UK i do believe was the first Country to ban slaving and we didn't get a dime.

There will always be a racist element, I have a very close friend who has a very big chip on his shoulder, because he is mulatto, it is not easy to be a mulatto, back in the UK 55 years ago when he arrived, he's not fully excepted by his Caribbean peers or his English ones.

In fact he's f-----d up, but a nice guy all the same, I think Bafana is right in his opinions and I also feel Vaucluse to be correct too. So where does one go from here.... yesterday i spent a good hour writing an explanation of my opinions and experiences, I deleted it based on what SE said in a couple of words.

The race card is there to be played and it will be played, just like any welfare system is abused. I have an Indonesian maid, that i really do sympathise with, because of her life, but in the past it was no different from my own, a life of poverty and suffering, with no education and parents that are split.

Bafana and all other foreigners will be second class too, not only whites always, because that's how life has evolved, and keeps evolving until a significant change is made, our short life span on this planet, is very insignificant, its the way the cards are dealt at birth. Fundamentalist Religion on the other hand call it what you will, is the largest threat to any race of people, committing the crimes. Believe me what i say is true and from my heart, the majority of people are nice around the world, in every country, we love and care for each other the best way we can.

There will never be peace on this earth, as long as you have fundamental idealists, and I have no doubt that it will take thousands of years, to reach a peoples planet, and I have seen many sides of the coin, having lived in a communist Country too.

Mainland China for example had a planned strategy, whereby they could hold onto their Communistic ideals and join the market economy, there is no doubt in my mind, that we the Brits have been sold out more than 30 years ago and othe major Countries will also follow.

When I reflect back on my life I was 14 years when i became a cadet which most young boys want to do, at 18, I couldn't see any other way out of poverty and a crime ridden housing estate, than becoming a pro soldier on a 22 year contract, the reason of 22 years was simple, the pay structure was almost double the pay, from a 3 to 6 year soldier, and i thought well i can always buy the contract back.

Today I was reading a local paper about how a prisoner had been abused in his cell, this for me is the typical environment i grew up in on a housing estate in UK, colour doesn't matter, social skills don't matter, survival matters, no matter what race or colour.

So when I read bafana's opinion I can relate to it and I also know that Vaucluse is also right.

Before i do sign off, I would like to mention that the people from new developed Countries and those that are not yet developed, should really understand, that our own Countries at that time in history were quite barbaric and local ethnic people wouldn't be treated much different from the slaves in the Empire days, so please do not try to use that card, it is still going on today in the UK, and its called British Law, that was coined up and amended over 200 years ago, and is still against humanity in my opinion.The scales of liberty are very well unbalanced in a British society and that is why the UK would never really commit to Europe. For all the offences the UK commits on people by British Law, which is every single day, nothing can be done, to protect them.
That is how stupid the British people are, to sit back and take the inequality and race discrimination in UK, to call it racism cannot, class distinction yes.

Anyway I was just thinking after my third barons, I've almost finished a book, no complaints, and for those that want to make a comment, be nice, otherwise you well get back verbal diarrhea, or more than you can chew. It's better to accept the author of the post was pissed. But I'm not yet :) but have run out of beer! The night is young only 02:18 maybe i should take a taxi :shock: Not disobeyed the wife for a long time! :) Last week :oops: Not allowed out and i can see we are well off topic.

Australians being racist, probably no more than any other nation, I can imagine they hate the UK if they are decendants of the those that were shipped out there. The beuracratic system as never been accepted by the majority. I often wonder if the majority are homosexual :-| a great number i have met over my life time have been on the other side. :-| Though it must be their choice.
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 12 Jul 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:01 am

Wow !!!! and i thought i could rant ( especially when i've been on the pop 8-) )
Top post KSL! ( you might want to go back and edit the "except" to "accept" in a couple of places)

There's a fine line between being proud of your ancestory/heritage/nation and racism. We all suffer from it in some way, shape or form.

My favourite story is
2 English guys in the pub. One form the north, one form the south. Argueing aboout northerners being dumb and southerners being gay. Till a scot walks in then it becomes and argument between the englsih an the scots till a french guy walks in then its the Brits against the frog. Till a yank walks in ............... you get the picture

One day a Martian lands on earth and it's the world arguing against the bloody space traveling smart arse who, if he thinks he can just land here and start throwing his weight around, has another think coming.

The European Union goes away for a 5 year debate on how to deal with this new space man while Martians invade slowly
The Americans are so concerned that Mars may have a Nuclear capability they forget to ask him to share his knowledge of space travel and affordable energy.
The chinese want him to out source future spaceship manufacture to Shenzen, "The golden very good space ship company Pte Ltd" while they copy his design.
The south Americans want to know if he likes Coffee or Cocaine or both
The Africans want to know his email address and if he doesn;t want to fund any one of their civil conflicts would he help the repatriate "their" money.
The Ozzies want to know if he can swim,play rugby or cricket. and if he'd stop landing on Ayres rock that'd be "top mate"

A few stereo types ....no offence intended

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:44 am

Bafana wrote:Dog and Bone. Have to have the last word is it?

Oh, the irony . . .
You just don't see that, do you?

Sorry for getting u so wound up, didn't realize you take yourself so seriously. No need to get emotional.

Not at all, but I am amazed how you can ascertain emotion through the written word on a forum when it isn't the case.


Perhaps my ability to argue is substandard
Yes, it is. Good for you for recognising that fact


but I have tried my best and provided some substantiation as requested.
Your best clearly isn't good enough, however as you have missed the point completely in your anger towards your former colonial masters

You don't have to agree with me.
Clearly I don't, neither do many others


Anyway sticks and stones. Enjoy the rest of the weekend mate.
You too, I have t work, potential partner in from Taiwan this week-end . .

First time I've been called arrogant though.
You clearly don't get out enough

Got to work on my inferiority complex more dammit
Nah, you're doing just fine . . . as you said, we are all products of our past, therefore your inferiority complex is an inextricable part of you. See, we do agree on some things.

:cool:


Ok, This has gone on long enough. Signing out on this topic. :)
......................................................



'nuff said Image

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 8:04 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Ok, This has gone on long enough. Signing out on this topic. :)


Classic hit and run.

So hang on a minute. You pick a topic. Rather than offer an opinion or any usful insight relating the to the OP you wade into a poster ( in this case Bafana, but in other topics plenty of others including me) Nit picking on history , research bla bla and when that fails resort to calling them out as arrogant or call the "irony" of certain post elements while trying to lean on the opions of undefined "others"
Have you ever, just for one minute, consdiered maybe your point of view might be askew :roll:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:11 am

bigfilsing wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
Ok, This has gone on long enough. Signing out on this topic. :)


Classic hit and run.

So hang on a minute. You pick a topic. Rather than offer an opinion or any usful insight relating the to the OP you wade into a poster ( in this case Bafana, but in other topics plenty of others including me) Nit picking on history , research bla bla and when that fails resort to calling them out as arrogant or call the "irony" of certain post elements while trying to lean on the opions of undefined "others"
Have you ever, just for one minute, consdiered maybe your point of view might be askew :roll:


Classic hit and run
That was my problem last night, how :oops: reading my own post the next day! Although the subject is interesting, it can never be agreed on and its a shame to see others get worked up over it.

Often say to my mate from St vinny, give it a rest man, nobody hates you, its all in your mind. Also my Singaporean brother in law had a very rough time in the banking industry in the UK, although it isn't racism in my eyes, it's local customs to talk that way, but its normally in good humour and not to be insulting, one must learn to understand the mentality and give back in the same manner to be on the same wavelength.

I can recall in a bar in Denmark, this huge long haired, wild looking viking with his leathers on and long beard telling me to beat it back to my own country...

I turned and said you mean England, where the real Vikings are from, being a loner all my life, i have had my fair share of racism and the worst was from the Nazi youth in Denmark, where it is legal organisation, the guy stood next to me all night and just kept insulting me at the bar, where i was a regular, all his friends sat down watching the developments, in the end i had no alternative but to take him outside and ask him if he was looking to fight with me, and his mates followed, but they didn't wish to get involved in any combat, after offering to fight them all at the same time, I refrained from throwing the first punch and kept cool, in the end I told them all, that if he comes and stands next to me and annoys me with his insults, I will not ask him to walk outside again.

I mean the Nazi youth in Denmark is a real problem, leaflets come through the doors and they are allowed to do it, not one of them are pure blood for god sake, they are just idiots, with ideals and visions of grandeur plain dumb and ignorant and will beat any defenceless foreigner for the fun of it.

Violence in underdeveloped and quickly developed Countries, will also result in a parang or knife and not a gentleman fight, it will rarely be a one on one, unless the guy is proficient in martial arts, weapons are drawn because it is natural to draw them, it's a genetic trait in my opinion, and the survival instinct of a primate that is going through evolution, or even a cultural expectation to be a man.

It's only western laws that are implemented that hit home, here if you kill you get killed. The cane is something else.

But I think everyone would agree that race and colour is discriminated against in a blatant way in many industries, and advertising is one of them, although it is improving it still exists, and will always exist until the white race becomes the insignificant race in commerce.

I would also like to mention, because i believe Bafana works a great deal in other countries of poverty, although i am not sure, but at these levels of employment, especially with refugees, one sees a total different picture of poverty, genuine refugees, and those that are out to abuse the system, because they have money to do it, economical refugees, and they all use the same card of being at risk, unfortunately my experience in 3 years, was enough to see the genuine ones get rejected and those with financial power get accepted.

Racism is not that bad at all in UK and of course it is there, and it's a minority, like most places.

It appears to be more prevalent out here in Asia which does need working on, I've been absolutely shocked at the maid abuse over the last 4 years in Singapore and Malaysia, and in my heart I feel it is racial abuse, rather than people just getting angry or frustrated.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 9:04 pm

The maid thing here ( and i know it's covered in other topics ) is really terrible . There's not a time i go to the basement car park at my condo and some poor maid is washing a car that really doesn't need cleaning.

I'm not sure it's racial thou....think it's more economic . lower paid people tend to get pushed around more...is there a name for that :oops:
On top of which many familes here think that as they pay them they are entitled to get them to work all hours and do all kinds of work.
They should be given set normal hours at the very least. Thats one of the things often forgetten when unions are mentioned. The benifits the unions demanded and often got with reagred to working hours, conditions and general worker well being. Of course the unions here are a complete joke. an don;t even start me off on the "maid levy" :mad:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:09 pm

bigfilsing wrote:I'm not sure it's racial thou....think it's more economic . lower paid people tend to get pushed around more...is there a name for that :oops:


Yeah, but it's pretty nasty. It's called the superiority complex. Most Singaporeans don't like to do jobs in the service industries. That's why all the foreign labour quotas. Additionally, because of the notion that service industries are slave industries they feel that they are superior and therefore can 'command' the peons to do anything for their crust of bread and the more they can do, maybe, just maybe they will get an additional crumb. Course my feelings here on that are pretty well known........ :mad:

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:they feel that they are superior and therefore can 'command' the peons to do anything for their crust of bread and the more they can do, maybe, just maybe they will get an additional crumb.


How odd you should mention that, recent reading shows the same attitude can and does exists in America too. :P

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 1:49 am

Plavt wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:they feel that they are superior and therefore can 'command' the peons to do anything for their crust of bread and the more they can do, maybe, just maybe they will get an additional crumb.


How odd you should mention that, recent reading shows the same attitude can and does exists in America too. :P
I think it is universal to be honest, it's only in Countries that are developed enough with unions that may escape the problems due to organisations that are set up to support the employees, many employees, are actually exploited under the noses of unions.

Even in Denmark and UK farm workers that haven't been paid for 10 years or more is not uncommon, because the employee is living on the farms and being catered for, with a few kroner in pocket money and not getting their European set income. So it happens all over the world, although more here are exploited in hours worked, and i know some work 16 hrs a day. In fact I know also that Companies that are employing Polish workers for less than the European rate, but they know if they complain they will lose their jobs. Which in my mind is criminal of the Companies! The UK is a very big offender and ignores the laws of Europe....because it pays to ignore the rules.

It takes a minimum of 5 years to get to a European Court, and only after you have exhausted the UK system first can you apply. So by the time judgement is passed, the Companies have earned millions and don't mind paying the fines of a 100K, and how many make it to the courts anyway?

Lo1s
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 25 Jul 2009
Location: Sydney Australia

Postby Lo1s » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 4:27 pm

willinsg wrote:My guess is people who are racist, their lives must be pretty screwed up that they have to look for people of different race to hate. I feel sorry for them, they lacked the courage to turn that emotion inwards and start reflecting on why life is so messed up for them or find out how exactly people from other races are like. Pretty much like approaching dogs, never know how friendly they are unless you reach out to them. If you dont ever dare to touch them you'll live in fear forever.

willinsg made a lot of sense in yr analysis of why some people are so racist....their lives r very screwed up so they hv to look for people of different race to hate. it is true they are chickens and hv no courage to look into the mirror at themselves and reflect on y their lives r so messed up. racists r not much better than a rabid dog. so, as higher functioning people, we hv to set our antenaes up to sense any presence of a rabid dog....in these racists...then we stay far away from them cos they will only harm us eg blowing us up with them

Lo1s
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 25 Jul 2009
Location: Sydney Australia

Postby Lo1s » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 4:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:I'm not sure it's racial thou....think it's more economic . lower paid people tend to get pushed around more...is there a name for that :oops:


Yeah, but it's pretty nasty. It's called the superiority complex. Most Singaporeans don't like to do jobs in the service industries. That's why all the foreign labour quotas. Additionally, because of the notion that service industries are slave industries they feel that they are superior and therefore can 'command' the peons to do anything for their crust of bread and the more they can do, maybe, just maybe they will get an additional crumb. Course my feelings here on that are pretty well known........ :mad:


bigfilsing said lower paid people tend to get pushed around more..that is called 'bullying'. when we r more privileged, we must endeavour not to bully those less privilege than us

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:36 pm

Lo1s wrote:bigfilsing said lower paid people tend to get pushed around more..that is called 'bullying'. when we r more privileged, we must endeavour not to bully those less privilege than us


Yeah, and like the courtesy campaigns, they are abject failures at NOT bullying those less privileged than you.

I like to call it a genetic defect as in over 1.5 generations (30+ years) there has been little change, therefore it much be a defective gene. :wink:

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Sun, 26 Jul 2009 7:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I like to call it a genetic defect as in over 1.5 generations (30+ years) there has been little change, therefore it much be a defective gene. :wink:


I feel the youngest 2 generations a re not two bad as education seems to be paying off but the y generation has completely lost the plot. Baby Boomers are half and half. Half are great the other half as as selfish as all sin (even towards their own families). Gen X for the win lah and lucky for the rest of you that you have us :cool:
Be Like Water


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests