Singapore Expats Forum

whitey australians are racists...?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 6:22 am

There are white Australians that are racist as there are other races in Australia that are racist. Thankfully we have strong laws against it and the culture of Australia is shifting away from the imperialistic race against race control structure of the past as in many areas of the world. We can all only hope for a better future than our past.
Be Like Water

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 10:37 am

Bafana wrote:There are white Australians that are racist as there are other races in Australia that are racist. Thankfully we have strong laws against it and the culture of Australia is shifting away from the imperialistic race against race control structure of the past as in many areas of the world. We can all only hope for a better future than our past.


What does "imperialism" have to do with Australians race attitudes? Are you implying that the only reason Australians would have been racist is because of British rule? Personally I think imperialism has been dead in Australia for years. I actually think the opposite, from what I see in Australia it is a new breed of ultra nationals representing "whitey australians" that are causing racial tension i.e. cronulla riots, belting up indian students, Pauline Hanson etc etc. Sorry, but I don't think these people sip gin and tonic and think of England at night.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 1:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:One more bullsh*t example of lumping people together on the basis of race and assigning them 'common attributes'.

For every racist Oz, I will show you one who isn't. For every racist Singaporean Chinese I will show you one who isn't.

These articles are so much crap... and something I'd expect to come out of the piney woods of east Texas.


So how is that chip on your shoulder :lol:


What chip is that?


The prevailing anti american sentiment since the american dream is officially dead combined with a distinct intolerance of people like the OP here. I would have expected a more "moderate" response.
Don't get me wrong ..i think it's great that moderators on this board are allowed "normal" posts i just don't think you're doing yourself any favours by damning somebody sharing their personal experience and opinion.

Sorry for the late reply

Cheers

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 2:26 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:One more bullsh*t example of lumping people together on the basis of race and assigning them 'common attributes'.

For every racist Oz, I will show you one who isn't. For every racist Singaporean Chinese I will show you one who isn't.

These articles are so much crap... and something I'd expect to come out of the piney woods of east Texas.


So how is that chip on your shoulder :lol:


What chip is that?


The prevailing anti american sentiment since the american dream is officially dead combined with a distinct intolerance of people like the OP here. I would have expected a more "moderate" response.
Don't get me wrong ..i think it's great that moderators on this board are allowed "normal" posts i just don't think you're doing yourself any favours by damning somebody sharing their personal experience and opinion.

Sorry for the late reply

Cheers

I think SE said what most of us all think, the OP is plugging a blog address on this website, maybe or maybe not the OP opinion, who really cares, the whole point of the OP's posting is to advertise the blog or create a discussion about it, although there is no point at all, like SE says "I'd expect to come out of the piney woods of east Texas." says it all!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 5:00 pm

Isn't it funny how sometimes some of our regulars, who ought to know better, get sucked in by a troll and his windup post. SE, like myself, JP & Baf have seen 'em for years. Normally we toy with 'em for a while or just ignore 'em. Rarely do we do like some of the regulars here who still occasionally swallow the crap hook, line & sinker. Takes all kinds I guess.....

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 1:14 am

I suppose whether you've experienced similar or not may taint your opinion of "crap" . Does calling it a wind up dilute the facts as stated :roll:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 1:54 am

I don't know if they are facts or not. The troll only cut and pasted it from somewhere else to bait anybody foolish enough to bite. That what trolls do. And this one successfully baited some of you. We all got caught at some time in the past. I'm just making a point that most of you have seen trolls at work before and still bite on occasion. :wink:

Happens to the best of us occasionally :oops:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 2:58 am

bigfilsing wrote:I suppose whether you've experienced similar or not may taint your opinion of "crap" . Does calling it a wind up dilute the facts as stated :roll:


I think maybe one should evaluate it from experience in their neighbourhood, I certainly have and it is well published on the internet, over a period of 15 years..personally i have no time for troublemakers be it black, white or any other colour, and if its on my doorstep I will deal with it, the best way i can. Racism you should know, especially being British is a social defect of the minority of British individuals that are not very well educated in global affairs or in fact anything outide of their own domain.
I've been there an done that, but not the crime part, we choose our own destineys, unfortunately young people never consider the consequences of their actions and i can from my own point of view, say that i would support any foreigner compared to the people I know and have been raised with in UK. Racism is very low but does exist in the police force, military and other departments....personally I would challenge anyone, that doesn't treat people the same, no matter how big they are, in fact bigger the better, its all about home work :wink: I put racism on the same level of how much can you drink attitude, idiots at best and ?

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 6:17 am

rattlesnake wrote:What does "imperialism" have to do with Australians race attitudes? Are you implying that the only reason Australians would have been racist is because of British rule? Personally I think imperialism has been dead in Australia for years. I actually think the opposite, from what I see in Australia it is a new breed of ultra nationals representing "whitey australians" that are causing racial tension i.e. cronulla riots, belting up indian students, Pauline Hanson etc etc. Sorry, but I don't think these people sip gin and tonic and think of England at night.


Imperialism (and religion) is the genesis of a lot of racism. Read and review history (both sides of the argument).

Cronulla riots are directly linked to the Lebanese issue. Enough said.

On the issue of bashing Indians, anyone walking alone flashing gear/cash would be an easy target - Don't believe it's just the Indians.

Pauline Hanson and her friends are a throw back to imperialistic ideals and the majority of Aussies want nothing to do with her. Your example is a confirmation of my argument.

And yes I am implying that one of the greatest single blights on the world has been the British Empire and the other empires that took their wealth from the world at large leaving it a wasteland of underdeveloped nations. One of the tools they used to do this was turning sub-races (white Catholics included) against each other so they could'nt focus on the real villains. In Australia they propagated racism and encouraged it. There is no denying that.

The changing nature of Australia's race relations is not a result of the gentle guiding hand of mother England but is a direct result of the underclass whites coming into majority combined with the rise of the 'white' immigrant families (Greek, Italian, etc) + Asian families rise to wealth, along with acceptance that we live in Asia. It is these Aussie's that have suffered abuse that know its wrong and want to do everything we can to change it.

As for sipping gin and tonics those days are over (???) but the early wealth distribution and control of industry remains. That said there are many wanna be poms in Aussie so it may still continue behind closed doors. When I was in Africa and Asia it was common for the Brits to sip there gin and tonics in public (shock horror in the 21st century as well)).

In any case the original premise that white Australians are racist is both right and wrong. My input was an attempt to provide an alternative view on why some Aussies still hang onto these dying fear based emotions.
Be Like Water

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 6:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't know if they are facts or not. The troll only cut and pasted it from somewhere else to bait anybody foolish enough to bite. That what trolls do. And this one successfully baited some of you. We all got caught at some time in the past. I'm just making a point that most of you have seen trolls at work before and still bite on occasion. :wink:

Happens to the best of us occasionally :oops:


LOL your right mate.

Can't help biting when I see something that is obviously aimed at creating racism pouncing around like it's god's given word judging another race (blanket style) as racist.

White Aussie's as are all Aussies are a race. The premise is oppressing my right to exist :P
Be Like Water

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 2:03 pm

Bafana wrote:
rattlesnake wrote:What does "imperialism" have to do with Australians race attitudes? Are you implying that the only reason Australians would have been racist is because of British rule? Personally I think imperialism has been dead in Australia for years. I actually think the opposite, from what I see in Australia it is a new breed of ultra nationals representing "whitey australians" that are causing racial tension i.e. cronulla riots, belting up indian students, Pauline Hanson etc etc. Sorry, but I don't think these people sip gin and tonic and think of England at night.


Imperialism (and religion) is the genesis of a lot of racism. Read and review history (both sides of the argument).

Cronulla riots are directly linked to the Lebanese issue. Enough said.

On the issue of bashing Indians, anyone walking alone flashing gear/cash would be an easy target - Don't believe it's just the Indians.

Pauline Hanson and her friends are a throw back to imperialistic ideals and the majority of Aussies want nothing to do with her. Your example is a confirmation of my argument.

And yes I am implying that one of the greatest single blights on the world has been the British Empire and the other empires that took their wealth from the world at large leaving it a wasteland of underdeveloped nations. One of the tools they used to do this was turning sub-races (white Catholics included) against each other so they could'nt focus on the real villains. In Australia they propagated racism and encouraged it. There is no denying that.

The changing nature of Australia's race relations is not a result of the gentle guiding hand of mother England but is a direct result of the underclass whites coming into majority combined with the rise of the 'white' immigrant families (Greek, Italian, etc) + Asian families rise to wealth, along with acceptance that we live in Asia. It is these Aussie's that have suffered abuse that know its wrong and want to do everything we can to change it.

As for sipping gin and tonics those days are over (???) but the early wealth distribution and control of industry remains. That said there are many wanna be poms in Aussie so it may still continue behind closed doors. When I was in Africa and Asia it was common for the Brits to sip there gin and tonics in public (shock horror in the 21st century as well)).

In any case the original premise that white Australians are racist is both right and wrong. My input was an attempt to provide an alternative view on why some Aussies still hang onto these dying fear based emotions.


What a load of tripe. :roll:

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 4:20 am

Is that your considered opinion?

Must be some part that's accurate if not all. But anyway. Tripe to you too :P

Must be hitting a nerve somewhere.
Be Like Water

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu, 27 Nov 2008

Postby rattlesnake » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 8:25 am

Bafana wrote:Is that your considered opinion?

Must be some part that's accurate if not all. But anyway. Tripe to you too :P

Must be hitting a nerve somewhere.


You know Bafana, to be fair, I read again, then re-read your comments. I don't really see any facts, just opinion, which as I stated is tripe (and I stand by that). It seems to me you're distressed in some way about the British empire - possibly related to their once occupation/rule over Singapore. Your argument to me, seems to be an extension of your distress, based more on some inner hurt than facts.

To also be brutally honest, saying it hits a nerve with me is a massive overstatement however obviously I replied when you wrote your spiel as did you with mine, so ...... touche.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 9:55 am

Bafana wrote:Imperialism (and religion) is the genesis of a lot of racism. Read and review history (both sides of the argument).



Rubbish. Imperialism is certainly NOT the genesis of 'a lot of' racism. Racism is all pervasive and happens within fixed geographical areas, very little to do with imperialism.

Religion perhaps, but also not to the degree you ascertain that it is.

It seems your anger and impotence at British colonialism is robbing you of your sense of clear thought - possibly it is you who has a racist view to cloud your judgement.

As for making a statement and then telling people to 'read and review history' . . . that is not a valid form of putting your point forward, and it is certainly not a valid form of debate.

As Rattlesnake says: Tripe!
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Bafana
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun, 11 Apr 2004
Location: Singapore

Postby Bafana » Tue, 07 Jul 2009 5:04 am

Where is the ability to understand a point of view that clearly goes against your own? If all you want is to do is shut down my opinions/point of view with abuse and labeling then go ahead. You are proving my point especially if you are both of British Origin since denial and misdirection have always played their part in the manipulation of others.

My opinion is not based on being a Singaporean (though I have seen arrogant attitudes towards locals by Brits/Yanks/Germans/Japanese/Chinese/Aussies etc). Still waiting to see where my point of view is tripe. The mere statement that Imperialism is not a co generator of racism does not make it correct. Look at Africa/Asia/Middle East/Aborigines. These are realities where imperialism has at the least focused racism.

Suggest you throw some more abuse and see if you can arrange to get a (insert any other nationality here - best yet an Aussie) to support your view completely, thus creating the illusion that you are correct.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of British friends (sounds like a gay joke) and my favorite TV shows are British. I got over my bias towards other races a long time back (still having trouble with Kiwi's though :p ). All I am stating is my opinion and I am not about to apologies for that.

Again i believe that all Aussie's have the commonality of racism shared with all other nations and the original post is a classic wolf in sheep clothing article which demands attention.
Be Like Water


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest