Singapore Expats Forum

whitey australians are racists...?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

zakkie13901
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 26 Feb 2009

whitey australians are racists...?

Postby zakkie13901 » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 7:38 pm

some comments in http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2009/ ... -she-said/:




"You really don’t know the extent of racism in Australia until you’ve lived here. I once thought there wasn’t much of that at all but now I know better. The irritating thing is that I can’t pinpoint if it is due to my race or not that I am treated differently and to make it worse, I think I would never know.

This is why immigrant races tend to stick to their own kind because after a while everyone gives up as fighting against the majority is an uphill battle (the majority must relent first!)

At the end of the day, it is all a vicious cycle with both sides drawing further and further away from each other. I guess my advice from my Singaporean friends before I left for Sydney was true after all — that regardless of my skill level, I will forever be a second class citizen in Australia so why not put up with all the other frustrations of living in Singapore and enjoy the first class citizen status.

Well, we all know what choice I made in the end. And I know I must make the best out of it. One day I will get numb of it all but till then, I will just try to breathe deeply and think happy thoughts when I am given shit in this racist cosmopolitan city."




"Down under:
Aussies are easy going for sure only until they got to know you as a person/friend. SOme of my best mates are Aussies.
BUt it seems sometimes the whole nation have a chip in their shoulders, paradoxically hating /adoring the Americans and always insulting the Pommies And feeling inferior as well.
Just look at the media coverage of CAthy Freeman vs Marie Jose Perec, and Kieren Perkins vs american swimmers in the 90s ( when i was living there)….. Don’t get me wrong. I love cathy and i love kieren perkins, but the way the press went at it was almost embarrassing. They verbally squashed/abused/hit/brought down the perceived apponents/rivals with such force and brute when these came against their own homegrown heroes. It was unbelieveable.

IN general, the average rate of racial abuse hurled at me was once/a fortnight during my 5-year stay in Oz while getting my degree ( “Asian pig, go home!”

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 8:06 pm

One more bullsh*t example of lumping people together on the basis of race and assigning them 'common attributes'.

For every racist Oz, I will show you one who isn't. For every racist Singaporean Chinese I will show you one who isn't.

These articles are so much crap... and something I'd expect to come out of the piney woods of east Texas.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 8:19 pm

aiyoh... name me one race that is not racist? zimbabwean, taliban, etc oso racist against the whitey. so it is not only whitey that are racist!

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 8:47 pm

durain wrote:aiyoh... name me one race that is not racist? zimbabwean, taliban, etc oso racist against the whitey. so it is not only whitey that are racist!


according to carl sagan (Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are) and some other scientists, there are some biological and natural predisposition to xenophobia (translated to racism) in all the human species.

it is a social trend (and quite a recent one) for humans to overcome the natural predisposition to it... basically the same as for humans to reject violence, etc which as primates we have the predisposition to.

in a nutshell, humans are racist by nature but only retrogrades or highly socially/emotionally/intellectually handicapped ones revel on it.

just a comment (and by the way... i still dont understand when people use a nationality as a race...)

(by the way #2... the article on the OP post is rubbish...)
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 8:58 pm

hibri2 wrote:
durain wrote:aiyoh... name me one race that is not racist? zimbabwean, taliban, etc oso racist against the whitey. so it is not only whitey that are racist!


according to carl sagan (Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are) and some other scientists, there are some biological and natural predisposition to xenophobia (translated to racism) in all the human species.

it is a social trend (and quite a recent one) for humans to overcome the natural predisposition to it... basically the same as for humans to reject violence, etc which as primates we have the predisposition to.

in a nutshell, humans are racist by nature but only retrogrades or highly socially/emotionally/intellectually handicapped ones revel on it.

just a comment (and by the way... i still dont understand when people use a nationality as a race...)

(by the way #2... the article on the OP post is rubbish...)


Sure... no question that we are genetically imbued to trust only 'our own'. We also are genetically imbued with wanting to f*ck every female in sight, along with many more animalistic traits we have.

But...we also have intellect... that which allows us to override genetics. Some cave to genetics, some live to their gray matter potential... and some wallow in the mud pit of how bad things are.

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 9:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:But...we also have intellect... that which allows us to override genetics. Some cave to genetics, some live to their gray matter potential...


yep, at least seven types of intelligences who modify not only behavior but how were react to external and internal impulses...

Strong Eagle wrote: and some wallow in the mud pit of how bad things are.


yah, that is basically how all religions get started and gods created... and 75% of the posts in this forum written :-D
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 2:31 am

Strong Eagle wrote:One more bullsh*t example of lumping people together on the basis of race and assigning them 'common attributes'.

For every racist Oz, I will show you one who isn't. For every racist Singaporean Chinese I will show you one who isn't.

These articles are so much crap... and something I'd expect to come out of the piney woods of east Texas.


So how is that chip on your shoulder :lol:

User avatar
vbelle
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 23 Apr 2009
Location: singapore

Postby vbelle » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 8:56 am

when i am going to study in sydney...people keep asking me..."arent you afraid? australian are racist"...heck...i thought...my own people...and government are pretty racist against me...so it didnt worried me at all...

and when i lived there...obviously there are few drunk people (its actually 2-3) or not so drunk...thats yelling "bloody asian", starring at me and my friends, or yelling at me to use english...ok...thats 3 for 2.5 years...

i dont live long enough...and im not working full time there to know if they discriminate people at work...

but i guess racism is pretty much everywhere...just gotta live with it and dont be part of it...before we go and tell other people if they are racist...
ask yourself if you think of one race as lower than the other, if you preferred to stay away from this race and make friends with the other race, if you think race A is smarter than B...and so on...


:)

TommyD
Regular
Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2009

Re: whitey australians are racists...?

Postby TommyD » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 9:01 am

zakkie13901 wrote:some comments in http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2009/ ... -she-said/:



Somebody's looking for an arguement.

Every country has racist people in it, it's the ratio of racist:not racist people that should be debated, not whether a country is racist or not.

Yes i'm Australian and yes there are racist people in Australia, but there are racist people here, in the middle east, Europe and yes even America :lol:

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 9:50 am

I grew up in Australia and I know what your talking about:

The italians called me skippy;
The jews called me goim;
Black americans called me honkey;
The chinese called me round eye and asked me what race I was and how much money I earned;
The convict australian descendants called me wetback;
New South Walshmen called me mexicans;
South Australian used to put signs on my back saying kick a vic;
Tasmanians said victorians were Tasmanians that couldnt swim;
The aboriginals called me milky bar kid and brother;
New Zealanders called me cus;
Recently people have been calling me a swine;
I have been V saluted from children to grandparents nearly everyday of my life;
People would not stand for me on buses either, infact old women with shopping bas would not put their bags on ther floor so I could sit and some got up when I sat down I expected them all to stay until I got off;
I too have had many instances of surly service and wondered whether it was because I was "white";
Everyone at my univesity used to snub me and painting on the walls sometimes stared funnily at me;
I saw racism when I visted Sydney too but only I could pick up th almost imprecbtible tones;
When I didnt get a job I thought how racist are they being to me because my skills are so much better - damn equal opportunity and affirmative action;
Poeple on blogs called me whitey australians and labbelled me racist;
Spelling nazis would hound me for writing to quick and not paying attention; and
I too though that evidence Australians were racist was the fcat that Chinatowns were all over the world.


Im against racism and Im sorry that you were at the end of it but it can happen in any country and comes down to individuals not whole slabs of people.

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Re: whitey australians are racists...?

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 1:31 pm

this argument got quite settled without too much drama, interesting... are the old members gone? :-D

anyway, can we then change the title of the thread from: "whitey australians are racists...? (sic)"

to: "there are racists everywhere ...? (sic)"

and then lock it?

:-P
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 7:07 pm

bigfilsing wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:One more bullsh*t example of lumping people together on the basis of race and assigning them 'common attributes'.

For every racist Oz, I will show you one who isn't. For every racist Singaporean Chinese I will show you one who isn't.

These articles are so much crap... and something I'd expect to come out of the piney woods of east Texas.


So how is that chip on your shoulder :lol:


What chip is that?

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 8:24 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What chip is that?


maybe he is referring to this part:
BUt it seems sometimes the whole nation have a chip in their shoulders, paradoxically hating /adoring the Americans and always insulting the Pommies And feeling inferior as well.


i think, SE, that the concept you are trying to find is "making any sense", i can tell you... i tried to find it... it is nowhere.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

willinsg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 22 Jun 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby willinsg » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:59 pm

My guess is people who are racist, their lives must be pretty screwed up that they have to look for people of different race to hate. I feel sorry for them, they lacked the courage to turn that emotion inwards and start reflecting on why life is so messed up for them or find out how exactly people from other races are like. Pretty much like approaching dogs, never know how friendly they are unless you reach out to them. If you dont ever dare to touch them you'll live in fear forever.
Men do not differ much in intellect, only zeal and hard work.

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:49 am

willinsg wrote:My guess is people who are racist, their lives must be pretty screwed up that they have to look for people of different race to hate.


hello;

your statement holds pretty well if we are talking about violent racism or criminal acts with a racist overtones.

but there are more insidious, and in certain places accepted, racist behavior that are not necessarily out of "hate".

on my own part that is maybe a little bit worst because it is sometimes (more often than not) mixed with class issues, ethnocentric dogma and other social issues to validate it. what it makes it worst than the blatant criminal act based on "hate" it is that the culprit of the more insidious type as well as the victim many times acknowledge and perpetuate the behavior.

there are lot of good books and studies 'bout the human predisposition to certain behavior that in the last few years have been considered (by quite a minor part of the whole human population) as reprehensible; the studies do not validate them, just point out the importance of a healthy psyche and a more "civilized" socialization.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests