Singapore Expats Forum

expat tax

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

langsue

expat tax

Postby langsue » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 5:09 pm

Hi,

I’m a reporter with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in Sydney.

I’m looking for an Australian working in Singapore on a contract of less than two years who will be affected by new tax rules imposed by the Australian Government.

The changes outlined in the May Budget require people domiciled in Australia to pay local tax rates on income earnt overseas. They earn a credit for any foreign tax paid.

The interview will be used as a part of story for The World Today, ABC Radio’s midday current affairs program.

I wondered if you would know anyone who would be willing to participate?

I would like to do a pre-recorded radio interview but I’m happy to do it on an anonymous basis.

Many thanks,

Sue Lannin
Reporter,
ABC Radio Current Affairs
Lannin.susan@abc.net.au

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 5:21 pm

I don't wish to be critical of Ms. Lannin or the ABC, however to other Aussies out here please do use the search forum function here to see what has been written.

As Ms. Lannin's email purports there has been a proposed change (not passed by the HoR as yet), to tax persons who are TAX RESIDENTS of Australia. This differs from your citizenship, and is TOTALLY different from your place of residence. Usually, if you are outside of AUS for a continuous period of 183 days, you can elect to be treated as a NON-RESIDENT for TAX PURPOSES.

Aside from the fact that many people are NOT affected because the whole change was poorly handled by the Government (it was only ever correctly reported on the budget2009 website), then re-corrected by various other government agencies, the basic rules still apply.

I just wanted to point this out (again) as there is a lot of misinformation due mainly to the way the Government back in AUS handled this matter.

As always - get a good tax accountant to plan your affairs (I'm not one - I just am the household Financial Comptroller!)