Singapore Expats

Returning to Singapore after renunciation

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 2:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you feel lucky? It's only a prison term and a rather large fine........
Actually, I'm not sure what you two are talking about, since bedok claims to have successfully renounced his citizenship and received his deferment, exit permits etc.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 4:54 pm

JP, we told him that after his first post. He keeps coming back with the same insecurities over and over. So, feed his insecurities then as that seems to be what he wants. Education seems to be a terrible thing when one doesn't comprehend simple English after going to school in Canada.

Oh, by the way, read my whole post, I already said it was all in my imagination which means all things being sorted in a ideal situation. :P And with that clown in the White House, who knows what's going to happen next.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kraikk

Post by kraikk » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 8:13 pm

bedok wrote:well are there actually many people that come to singapore with different passports but were born in singapore?
Plenty. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Singapore does not grant citizenship by birth in Singapore alone. At least one parent must be Singaporean. So there are a lot of people with foreign passports but Singapore as their place of birth because both their parents are not Singaporean. There are also a lot of Singaporeans with a foreign country as their place of birth.

Place of birth is probably not as big a warning sign (though it might be) as citizenship or PR, even if renounced. They know a lot about you if you were once a citizen or PR. With biometric passports, it is probably all automatic and no one has to be consciously alerted. The officer just has to scan the passport whichever country it is from and if any features match a former citizen the flags go up, whether you have changed your name, citizenship, or maybe even gender. Things like fingerprints and facial recognition will give anyone away.

The possibility of advance information is even scarier, because it means defaulters can be caught in transit even if they never try to clear customs.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 9:04 pm

Which is exactly the scenario I am invisioning in the not too far distant future. If a database is programmed with a query with enough parameters, it will give the immigration officer a much smaller 'choice' and flag a passport for "interview" for greater details.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:47 am

Your passport details had been taken down at the departure counters and the originating country of the flight? How hard would it be to transmit that data to the scheduled airport disembarkation point of that ticket.
Didn't America already bring this in? I remember an uproar about the US wanting details of all passengers on all incoming flights to be transmitted to them when the flight had taken off.

I can't remember if the EU told them to stick it. I think they did. Not sure if the arse-kissing, c*ck-sucking UK goverment (I'm British so have rights to call them that :D ) just rolled over and say yes yes, three bags full sir!
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:35 pm

ukdesigner wrote:Didn't America already bring this in? I remember an uproar about the US wanting details of all passengers on all incoming flights to be transmitted to them when the flight had taken off.

I can't remember if the EU told them to stick it. I think they did. Not sure if the arse-kissing, c*ck-sucking UK goverment (I'm British so have rights to call them that :D ) just rolled over and say yes yes, three bags full sir!
See above. Unfortunately, the EU bent over, and promptly started planning a scheme of its own to require other countries to give it the same info.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:48 pm

It's become a joke.

US says jump and everyone kisses arse!
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

silat2010

curious

Post by silat2010 » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:56 pm

just curious, wanna a look at the final paper for renounciation singapore citizenship. is there anyboby has successfully got it? can share it with me? :oops:
[/list]

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 5:52 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 4:27 pm

SMS:In the words of Dirty Harry:

"I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. You've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" (edited for brevity).
Good film! Though you are sadist SMS satisfying a masochistic OP, you pervert :P :lol: Funny and entertaining.