Singapore Expats Forum

Ambulances / hospitals beware

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Ambulances / hospitals beware

Postby ozchick » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 8:02 pm

So a certain person was riding too fast on his deadly treddly and had to be hauled off in an ambulance. The ambos told us that they were taking the 'injured one' to "Unspecified" Hospital. Fine with us cos the 'injured one' is in bad shape so we don't give a rat's arse where we go. So after arriving at emergency department, I'm left waiting for several hrs and am then informed that he's got a fractured pelvis and needs to be admitted. No problem. We're not surprised that he has a significant injury. So I fill out the forms and pay big deposit and up to ward we go. At this time it's many hours later, after midnight and I DO notice but am too tired to question the condition, facilities etc of the "Unspecified Hospital". Injured one's in a room with 3 others but we are promised a single room for the next day. So next day after arriving to visit the injured one and hearing tales of 'unpleasantness' about his night, I go to the ward's nursing desk to ask about the promised single room. I get told that it's still not available. And THEN I see it!
A list of Singapore's hospitals, their charge rates etc clearly indicating that the 'injured one' is in a low-cost public hospital. Bells finally ring that we are in the WRONG place for a guy who has top medical insurance!
Why in hell did this happen to us? Why, after his injury is diagnosed in emergency aren't we asked about what medical insurance he has, what options are available and where he'd like to be treated?! Sigh...
So at great risk of aggravating the injury we today transferred via ambulance again to top private hospital with peace and quiet and modern facilities, internet connection etc AND low staff-patient ratio. Th injured one is a much happier chappy!
Hope this debacle doesn't happen to anyone else.
We learned the hard way. :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Ambulances / hospitals beware

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 28 Jun 2009 9:20 pm

ozchick wrote:Why, after his injury is diagnosed in emergency aren't we asked about what medical insurance he has, what options are available and where he'd like to be treated?! Sigh...

Maybe because:

ozchick wrote: Fine with us cos the 'injured one' is in bad shape so we don't give a rat's arse where we go.

Do you sometimes . . . just sometimes . . . think while you type?

'nuff said Image

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: Ambulances / hospitals beware

Postby ozchick » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:09 am

Vaucluse wrote:
ozchick wrote:Why, after his injury is diagnosed in emergency aren't we asked about what medical insurance he has, what options are available and where he'd like to be treated?! Sigh...

Maybe because:

ozchick wrote: Fine with us cos the 'injured one' is in bad shape so we don't give a rat's arse where we go.

Do you sometimes . . . just sometimes . . . think while you type?

We didn't mind where we went for the actual initial treatment- it was an emergency until he was stabilised.
According to SOME information I'm getting, all ambulances go to nearest hospitals. Other information says that if you phone a different number for ambulances you get taken to nearest private hospital. All we needed to have heard from the ambos is :
" We're taking you to the nearest hospital- it's a public one and after initial treatment they will tell you if he's well enough to be transferred to a hospital of your choice". All's well now but I wouldn't like anyone elase to get caught like this.
Hope you're having a lovely day Vaucluse. Always a pleasure to read your responses! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:16 am

Having a great day, thanks . . . off on vacation tomorrow! Yipee.

I don;t think ti si the ambo's responsibility to whip outa catalogue and go into a spiel about hospitals.

Anyway, I hope your hubby is well on the road to recovery . . . sounds like a nasty injury, make sure to spoil him rotten! :)

'nuff said Image

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:54 pm

If you dialled the emergency number 995, you will be taken to the nearest or most suitable public hospital free of charge in an emergency which this clearly was. They will not take you to a private hospital. (If it is not classed as an emergency there is a charge to avoid people abusing the service.) Some of the 995 ambulances are sub-contracted from private operators but they follow the same rules regarding taking you to a public hospital. If you want to go straight to a private hospital, you have to dial the private hospital ambulance number - the number for Mount E for example is 6473 2222. You will be taken to your hospital of choice and charged for the ambulance. For what it's worth I think you did the right thing as you had no idea what intensive interventions might be necessary and most public hospitals can cover any eventuality, even if they can't provide a private en-suite and dinner menu. My guess is that the staff had no idea you didn't know this so didn't think to mention it, assuming you'd made a choice to go there. In an emergency I would be more than happy to be taken to my nearest public hospital NUH. Hope he is on the mend now and soon back on the bike.