Singapore Expats

Guide to NS issues

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 8:09 pm

No Joke. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Full Metal Jacket

Post by nakatago » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 8:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Koalabear wrote: I disagree with your suggestion on female national service. That will mean on top of military service in camp, the males will have to engage in another round of national service at home with possibly inconclusive result. It is still unfair distribution of service responsibility and we will not even be compensated with pregnancy payout and maternity leave. :mad:
And now we know why Singapore has a graying population. The males here don't like SEX! I didn't like military service either, but I own a virtual arsenal/armoury at home. Even before I went into the military, I like playing with my longarm! I figured that practice made perfect! I've always enjoyed mixing business with pleasure. :lol:
"This is my rifle, this is my gun."
"This is for fighting, this is for fun..."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 8:53 pm

You got it! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 3:11 am

Deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zek

questions on ns & exit permit for 13 yr old

Post by zek » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 7:34 pm

I have read most of the posts here regarding ns issues. Most are about deferment pending renunciation of sg citizenship, which are not exactly applicable to us.

My son is turning 13 at the year end. We do not intend to let him renounce as we have yet to have another citizenship at this moment, only pr status. We are prepared to let him serve ns when the time comes. Our plan is stay in oz till he is 18 and finishes VCE, then go back for ns, then come back again to oz (or if he decides otherwise) for uni.

We are planning to go back to sg for vacation at year end. That would mean he will turn 13 in sg and need an exit permit when he leaves again.

1. Can we apply his exit permit online in advance (that is, before his 13th birthday) and post date to next Jan? In other words, can we now apply for him the exit permit to be from, say, Jan 2011 to Jan 2012?

2. Otherwise, are there potential problems if we apply in sg before we leave for oz?

3. I understand that online application (according to a friend) is on yearly basis. Does it mean that after 2 permits of one year each, one will be asked to put up bond for the 3rd permit (when he turns 15)?

4. Are there other hidden issues that may stumble people in my situation? I was told bond may not be necessary if I can arrange 2 sureties to be guarantors between his 16 to 18 yrs old. Is it true?

Thanks in advance for sharing your info and knowledge.

Cheers!
[/list]

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:19 pm

Zek,

Start about half way down the page here.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: questions on ns & exit permit for 13 yr old

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 4:35 am

Deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zek

Post by zek » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:09 am

Thanks Sundaymorning, will read again.

Thanks Madscientist. To summarise and clarify so that I do not misunderstand any info:

1. NS portal online cannot allow one to apply for exit permit until he crosses his actual 13th birthday.

2. We can go back to sg in Dec, celebrate his 13th birthday in sg, then leave sg in Jan. Come back to oz THEN apply (within 3 months) exit permit online.

Qn: does it mean the exit permit starts on our departure date, or from the date of permit application?

3. I can apply at a go 1 year 364 days. That will mean my boy crosses (or about to cross) his 15th birthday. Then I go back to sg for another short vacation, come back to oz and apply another exit permit for 1 year 364 days. This will take him to about 17 years old.

Qn: By doing step 3 above, do I still need guarantors, esp. during the 2nd exit permit duration? I assume I need to provide documents that he is studying in oz and parents are working in oz in step 3.

4. Since on both occasions exit permit is less than 2 years, no bond is needed. When he finishes year 12, he goes back to do ns.

5. In between these years, he can still go back and forth sg with his exit permit without any issues.

If I have summarised any steps wrongly, I appreciate greatly if it can be corrected. Thank you all of you who contribute your time, info and knowledge in sharing with others.

Cheers!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 1:41 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

zek

Post by zek » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 4:36 pm

Thank you for your extensive sharing.

However if your son return back home depending if he get a single or multiple trips exit permit , it will be again becomes invalid or otherwise.
Single trip means every time he returns, exit permit expires and he has to reapply again.
Multiple trips means as along he does not stay more than a month when he returns SG , his exit permit does not expires. But for multiple trip once you return the exit permit time line shortens

Qn: Can one apply multiple trips exit permit via NS portal online? I have not heard of this single or multiple trips permit. All along I thought we just apply one permit and then we can travel back and forth, carrying the permit with us all the time.

Correct and yes you can. But from 16 and half the exit permit will become ONE YEAR VALIDITY ONLY. So b4 he turn 15, go back to SG and reapply for another 1 yr and 364 days. DO NOT CROSS THE 16 years old threshold

Qn: You mentioned 16 and half, permit becomes one year validity. Then you advised do not cross the 16 years old threshold. I am a bit confused here.
So should I go back just b4 he turns 15 and then come back and apply the required number of days that will take him to 16 half?
Or should I go and come back to apply up to 16 years old?

In both cases, subsequently, I can only apply up to one year each time to take him to 18 years old.

Have I answered all your queries. Please answer the feedback below press 1 for NO and press 2 for yes. Thank you for your time , goodbye !!

er, I don't seem to find the feedback buttons 1 or 2... ...

Anyway, thanks again for your info.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 5:17 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 4:34 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

zek

Post by zek » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks Mad! You have been most helpful.

My wife thinks I should just email cmpb and ask, in case things change again... They are always adjusting without informing the public regarding this.

Thanks !

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 6:05 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

zek

Post by zek » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 4:48 am

Thanks!

For feedback, can't find the button, but it's a

2 for Yes

:D