Singapore Expats

Guide to NS issues

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Sun, 02 May 2010 2:47 pm

Hi All

Thanks all for the great info.

We have already renounce our citizenship 2 years back. Except for the kids as they are not allowed until the age of 21 - which all of you know that.

1) I know I am supposed to write to ICA on my son intention of renouncing his citizenship. Am I supposed to that only after his Singapore passport expires? Or do I do it now? He is 10 at the end of the year and passport expires soon after that.

2) Thing is, we still go back to Singapore annually for a short visit of the family. We used our Oz passport.

3) ICA sent a letter to my address in Singapore (in-law) to require my daughter to make her IC as she has reached the age of 15. We wrote to them saying we are overseas. They responded by saying that I have to do it immediately on my next visit and need to bring my passport as evidence of non present in Singapore. Do I still make the IC, or just ignore them?

4) Do I write to ICA to give them our overseas address and remove our in-law address from their system? The in-law forward all letters or correspondent to us once every 2 months.

Any advice appreciated.
I work to live and not live to work.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 02 May 2010 5:18 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Mon, 03 May 2010 8:09 am

Thanks Mad Scientist.

"Application for deferment pending renunciation at 21".

Where do I get that form - ICA or Mindef?
Can I get in online?

Thanks
I work to live and not live to work.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 03 May 2010 8:48 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

andy_leo

Post by andy_leo » Wed, 05 May 2010 10:44 am

Hi MS,

If I renew my kids foreign passport, is it necessary for me to bring the passport to ICA to put a stamp "right to entry' on it? (My kids hold duo cititzen). Thanks in advance.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 05 May 2010 4:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy_leo

Post by andy_leo » Wed, 05 May 2010 4:52 pm

Hi MS,

1. When I returned back to Singapore 3 years ago, I was told to get the stamp on my kids passport....

2. We are in Singapore now.

3. Eldest kid is in Primary 1

4. They don't have SG passports.

5. 7 and 5.

I apologise for not giving enough details for my first post. :oops:

lonelyhere

Re: Successful renunciation and national service exception a

Post by lonelyhere » Wed, 05 May 2010 5:38 pm

Hi Mad scientist and all

Have you heard of anyone arrested at transit as NS defaulters? Isnt the transit area supposed to be no man international zone?

will international law apply when you are in transit area?

[quote="Mad Scientist"][quote="loki112000"]Hi all,

At the age of 27 I want to go back for a holiday again to visit my aging aunts and uncles who raised me. I took the correct route by renouncing to immigration, they referred me on to manpower and I have been told I am considered a NS defaulter and please return to Singapore to sort the issue.

I am happy to do so but I am
1. Nervous that my life here and career will be disrupted if they hold me there, make me do NS, jail me, etc
2. Considering whether I should ever go back there if it means my life as an Australian, all I know, will be effected.

If I had to serve NS I would do so then immediately renounce because I do not wish to be a Singaporean Citizen nor have I ever.

I want to know if anyone in my situation has ever had a successful appeal and what is my likelihood?[/quote]

This is Half Cents worth diagnosis of your problem.

1. When you turn 13 back then , you did not apply for an exit permit. This is an offence under the law. Since you are SG citizenship by birth, this takes precedent to your OZ one. When you reach 21, you committed the second offence for not coming back to serve NS.
Based on what I have seen and encounter, you will not do time but pay the fine and then serve the NS. Plead guilty and ignorant as you were too young when all these happen.Ignorant is a bliss. Your parent, sad to say, is the one that land you into this hot soup.

2. Call them from OZ and explain your situation. Get hold of the person who you make contact and detailed conversation. If the person assures you only fine then go back to serve if you wish to do NS.

3. Once NS is done you will be allow to renounce. At least you still can come back and work under EP as you have contributed to the security of SG.

4. Get yourself a lawyer in SG if this lands you into jail on the first encounter which I will find it chances are remote but you have to be aware that they can make an example of yourself for others to see.

5. If you feel on the first encounter that it does not assure you . Then do not come back at all not even in transit. Meet them at JB is the way to go. As you have said you never wanted to be SGer.

I said these as I have my boys gone thru this process.BUT as a responsible parent I did all the necessary steps and my boys are home free.You can blame your parent but it is no point as it is already done. What is done cannot be undone . Right ?? All you need to do is take counter measure and precautionary steps going forward.

Good Luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Mad Scientist(':D')[/quote]

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 05 May 2010 5:40 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 May 2010 6:14 pm

Isn't the age of receiving your NRIC 14? Could have sworn my son got his at 14 but that was 6 years ago so the mental prowess might be flagging some!

I also believe age of majority is the same for both genders at 21.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 05 May 2010 6:20 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy_leo

Post by andy_leo » Thu, 06 May 2010 8:42 am

Dear MS,

Thank you very much for the advice. I would like to PM you but the system does not allow me as I did not have enough posts on the forum. Would it be possible for you to PM me your e-mail address?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 May 2010 8:51 am

andy_leo wrote:Dear MS,

Thank you very much for the advice. I would like to PM you but the system does not allow me as I did not have enough posts on the forum. Would it be possible for you to PM me your e-mail address?
if you reply to this post, you'd be able to PM already.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

andy_leo

Post by andy_leo » Thu, 06 May 2010 9:14 am

I'll try now.
nakatago wrote:
andy_leo wrote:Dear MS,

if you reply to this post, you'd be able to PM already.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 06 May 2010 10:31 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.