Singapore Expats Forum

Office Furniture

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
User avatar
ironlady
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed, 16 Nov 2005
Location: Venus
Contact:

Office Furniture

Postby ironlady » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 8:59 am

Hi all I will be opening my new office soon and am looking at buying 4 tables.chairs..and some other office stuff..but i dont want to spend too much money. Can anyone suggest where can I buy affordable furniture from ?

Thanks! :)
Life is not like a smooth sailing ship.It has ups n downs

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:08 pm

Define "cheap"? IKEA has a good selection, as does V.Hive.

Don't skimp too much on those chairs though, a bad chair will kill your back if you sit on it all day long...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 5:20 pm

Give me a ring in a couple of weeks and i might be able to flog you all our stuff at a huge discount...... the way things are going :cry:

Even if it's not me...... i'm sure there is plenty other business going to the wall right now that you can pick stuff up from too.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 5:51 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Give me a ring in a couple of weeks and i might be able to flog you all our stuff at a huge discount...... the way things are going :cry:

Even if it's not me...... i'm sure there is plenty other business going to the wall right now that you can pick stuff up from too.
Is it really that bad?

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:57 am

Yes.

The words "part time work / part time pay" and "even an unpaid leave kind of arrangement" have been mentioned this week, together with a full or partial sale of the company.



It is normal for employees to consider themselves brighter than the management under which they serve...... unfortunately i maybe realised too late that in this company and under this owner, i really am. I worked out my own numbers this week and I am profitable even this year after a 40% drop in my sales so it's everybody else screwing it up and somehow I have to be punished for it.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:26 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:Yes.

The words "part time work / part time pay" and "even an unpaid leave kind of arrangement" have been mentioned this week, together with a full or partial sale of the company.



It is normal for employees to consider themselves brighter than the management under which they serve...... unfortunately i maybe realised too late that in this company and under this owner, i really am. I worked out my own numbers this week and I am profitable even this year after a 40% drop in my sales so it's everybody else screwing it up and somehow I have to be punished for it.


What kind of business if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious!

pennant
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu, 11 Aug 2005

Re: Office Furniture

Postby pennant » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:57 am

ironlady wrote:Hi all I will be opening my new office soon and am looking at buying 4 tables.chairs..and some other office stuff..but i dont want to spend too much money. Can anyone suggest where can I buy affordable furniture from ?

Thanks! :)

there is this 2nd hand furniture store at Mcnair road.. can go check out :)
A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 3:10 pm

ksl wrote:What kind of business if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious!



Let's say i'm mostly in the port crane business, either engineering in the port or for the crane manufacturer.

Two things locally...... PSA business down around 30-35%, Jurong Port business down ~45%. Industry forecast worldwide is for no upturn into 2012 though some countries will fair better than others, such as Vietnam where numbers are actually going up at the moment.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 26 Jun 2009 3:51 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
ksl wrote:What kind of business if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious!



Let's say i'm mostly in the port crane business, either engineering in the port or for the crane manufacturer.

Two things locally...... PSA business down around 30-35%, Jurong Port business down ~45%. Industry forecast worldwide is for no upturn into 2012 though some countries will fair better than others, such as Vietnam where numbers are actually going up at the moment.
Now I understand! Yes Maersk also fired around 3000 people too several months ago.

Although I'm a little more optimistic, I follow the exports out of Taiwan, to minimise my portfolio risks, and the data coming out of the US is showing the recession has reached bottom, with increased spending power.

Taiwan data is showing component inventories are being stock piled for Flat panel, and manufacturers cannot keep up with demand, so I see a resurgence in exports to USA within the next 2 quarters, and more work in the ports with containers. Although it maybe too far away to save your job.

The Taiwan market is down 56% and as held quite well, with production output down 35 to 40% and moving up quite strongly the last 12 weeks.

Fingers crossed for you!

User avatar
chixchix
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1200
Joined: Mon, 17 Jul 2006
Location: NORTH POLE

Postby chixchix » Sat, 27 Jun 2009 9:41 pm

Please advertise positions available in the classified section of this site. It both free and not in violation of our non-advertising policy here. (and you should know better!) - moderator
Always have a smile on that face!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:15 pm

chixchix wrote:Please advertise positions available in the classified section of this site. It both free and not in violation of our non-advertising policy here. (and you should know better!) - moderator
Do you even know what you are talking about? I think not? But a few of us do, and even then it could be one of many things, much better to explain in detail.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest