Visa confusion. Please help.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 9:06 pm
Location: UK

Post by newjob » Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:56 pm

Hi ksl.

Firstly I would like to thankyou for your advice and provide a update on the situation.
I have now been offered the job and the EP is being completed by PWC in Singapore. All documents have been sent and I'm just awaiting MOM approval. I have also been instructed by PWC to obtain certification stating that my partner is my common law wife and recognised as this in the UK. I have obtained this from a 'notary public' in the UK, this cost £80. I will update the wording I used on the affidavit to my original thread of 'Supporting documentation for a LTVP' to hopefully assist others in the future.
The only issue that is now worrying me is in relation to my step children. We have approached the father and explained the situation and he will give permission for us to take the youngest away ( 6yr old). My concern is that I have been told by PWC that unless I adopt the children then they cannot come on my partners LTVP or be recognised as dependents and the only way for them to get visa's is a student visa. Is this true as I have concerns that should we have trouble securing a place in the schools they will only be on a 90 day visa and have to leave the country ( albeit before returning again). Is this my only option.. ??, could homeschooling not be a educational option for them but how would they then obtain a student visa.. ??

Sorry for the long winded post but as ever, thanks in advance for any assistance.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Posts: 3524
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 2
Location: TIMBUKTU

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Dec 2010 4:19 pm

@newjob; what it means is you must have custodial rights over your stepchildren or else under the MOM guideline , the children cannot be under your dependent pass. I am not exactly 100% sure on this but to my knowledge, either you get adoption papers signed and sealed OR release letter from the biological parents to have you as a guardian "custodial rights"
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:03 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by carteki » Tue, 14 Dec 2010 4:48 pm

I know of a case where a "step child" is living in Singapore - didn't discuss on what visa though. I doubt that there have been formal adoption procedures taken as the last time I spoke with them they had just won the right to remove the kid from the US and live in Singapore from the biological father (even though they'd offered him 2 trips a year to visit the kid which is more than he saw the kid when they were both in the US).

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests