Singapore Expats Forum

Help, please!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

frustrated expat

Re: Can completely empathise!

Postby frustrated expat » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:53 am

[quote="macaroonie"]Frustrated expat!
I can completely empathise with you, i have just gone through exactly the same thing. My landlord gave the keys to his agent without consulting me so she could have access to the flat at any time . They would sometimes forget to inform me and once she just opened the front door at the most inappropriate of times (without knocking!), i was in my pjs!. They came at all hours, 10pm till about 1130pm! sometimes. They made loud noises at night when i was already asleep, and one day i found her sitting upright in the masterbedroom eating! It is a complete invasion of privacy, but then again do privacy rules actually exist here? ( i was told there are no privacy rules here -someone please correct me)..sometimes i wonder why do we bother paying rent - we are renting for the privacy of the space right? Hang in there![/quote]

Macaroonie, Thanks for your support!!

Does Singapore really allow all these invasion of privacy?? On one hand, Singapore say they want to have foreign talents, on the other hand, they allow all these terrible things happening to us!!! The rent we are paying is not cheap at all, how come we can't even have our basic right for living in peace!!!
:cry:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Can completely empathise!

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 1:46 pm

frustrated expat wrote:
Does Singapore really allow all these invasion of privacy?? On one hand, Singapore say they want to have foreign talents, on the other hand, they allow all these terrible things happening to us!!! The rent we are paying is not cheap at all, how come we can't even have our basic right for living in peace!!!
:cry:

Umm, you may wish to settle down a bit . . . inferring the government is allowing miscreants to bludgeon foreign 'talent' ('s' is not required, even for talented people) is rather sad and an indication that you've lost the plot.

As for the rents being high solely for us . . . holy cow . . . and that even though we pay high rents we are denied basic rights? :lol:

You're taking the piss, aren't you? No. Really. You're having a bit of a laugh, right?

'nuff said Image

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:55 am

Go easy on frustratedexpat! It is the worse feeling to have your privacy invaded, for people to not really care about you and treat you like (@%&#(* just because they own the place. There are no clear laws to protect tenants (just read some of the many posts in this forum).. - and this comment is coming from some of the local agents, they say the set up clearly favours the landlords (look at how the deposit is geared - it doesn't go to some independent body who can assess damage etc, but to the landlord so no independent assessment can be made).

There was an article not too long ago in {removed by moderator} detailing the plight of many a foreign tenant where their deposits have been not been given back when it is due (no damage to property) when deposits have initially been taken so tenants can start renting but landlord and agent change numbers and disappear... it happens all the time. I suspect until clear laws are set up we are going to see more cases, especially during the recession.

All i can say is we need to protect ourselves, this is Singapore, it's not what we are used to and we need to make the most of the situation here. Go and search for a thread from 2006 titled "Toxic Landlady" - now that's a scary story!