Singapore Expats

Icon & Tanjong Pagar

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Alexei

Icon & Tanjong Pagar

Post by Alexei » Sat, 20 Jun 2009 4:33 pm

Hi,

I've visited an apartment in Icon condo today and I have to say that the complex is amazing. Really nice pool, tennis courts...
However one of my concern is the area.

If someone lives around Tanjong Pagar (or at Icon) I'd like to know:
- how it is at night & week-ends: restaurants, bars...
- do you feel like you're living in your condo but never around it

Tough decision! Because the same building around River Valley Road would cost twice the price...

Thanks for your help!

Search By

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:22 am

Tanjong Pagar is quite happening: you've got Club St and Duxton Hill within reach and the area around Keong Saik/Bukit Pasoh is also steadily going upmarket. Quite a few dodgy KTV bars and gay saunas around too if that floats your boat 8-)

And I'm not sure what you mean by your second comment, but IMHO Tanjong Pagar/Chinatown is much more lively and local than the expat ghetto of River Valley.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Singapore/Chinatown
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Icon & Tanjong Pagar

Post by Addadude » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:37 am

I work around Tanjong Pagar and my job far too frequently requires me to work weekends, so I know the area pretty well. I am also very familiar with the Icon and you're right: the facillities are beautiful.

Tanjong Pagar is pretty quiet at weekends. The NTUC Fairprice just up the road is well stocked. There's a nice Irish bar, The Toucan, at Duxton Hill and some trendy cafes and bars at the red Dot (formerly the traffic police HQ).

Having said that, you are literally minutes away from all the action at Clarke Quay, Boat Quay and Orchard Road by MRT, bus or taxi. In fact Tanjong Pagar is more convenient in terms of easy access to the MRT than River Valley.

Alexei wrote:s...
- do you feel like you're living in your condo but never around it
I really don't know what you are asking with this question but I personally wouldn't mind living there. Just avoid the units overlooking the cosntruction site next door!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

cck

Post by cck » Thu, 25 Jun 2009 4:26 pm

I thought river valley condo price is about the same as icon.
there are few new project top soon next year, or you can consider place like tiara, mirage tower that not too old and just opp or next to great world city and tiong bahru!

Tainak

Post by Tainak » Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:05 pm

I live and work in TP and think its great. Club Street and Neil Street are just a stone throw away and have some much variety in terms entertainment and food&wine. Plus Outram Park MRT is not far and will take you to not just Clarke Quay or Boat Quay but also Little India and Vivo City! TP MRT is also close and will take you straight to Raffles Place and City Hall. There simply is no better location!

TP Plaza has FairPrice for groceries (although the mince meat and salmon are out of stock by the time offices close) and also SingPost. The wet market has great variety for fruits and vegetables for half of the supermarket price.

I'd say TP wins over River Valley (and I've lived there too) any day!