Singapore Expats Forum

Golden Labrador Puppy...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Golden Labrador Puppy...

Postby AndyD » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 9:39 am

[b]Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are new to Singapore (2 weeks), and new to this forum – so excuse any newbie mistakes... I have searched the forum for “dog”

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:11 am

First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly you need not use bold face type. It's considered rather rude.

With regards to puppies here, most are from puppy mills and shouldn't be bought even if they do have papers. The papers only tells their pedigree but not the environment and health in general of the pups. The best way to buy a pedigreed dog is to contact a well known breeder directly. Visit the kennel and then have the dog shipped to Singapore. In other words, buy the dog like you would if you were home.

Or, go to the SPCA and adopt a dog. Do us all a favour by giving a pet a second chance because it wasn't the puppy's fault that it grew up into a dog and now the owners are tired of it so they have abandoned the dog. There are a lot of pedigreed dogs there as well as the novelty wore off and the owners found out that dogs are a lot more work than they bargained for.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic61152.html

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:46 am

I'd agree with SMS and that is exactly what we did

I wanted to continue the line of having Boxers . . . since childhood my family has always had Boxers and taken them to wherever they were posted.

My wife said the same thing about the breeding farms and culling and the rest . . . we ended up with a little half Dalmatian/half whatsits and he is simply brilliant. He's three months now and proof that the old adage about mutts being smarter than the average dog . . or is that Scooby Doo or Yogi Bear?

'nuff said Image

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 6:43 pm

Strange coincidence because next week we meet our new addition, a yellow lab puppy (Andy, Labs are yellow, not Golden. Goldens are golden). We are in the US now and we will go back to the same breeder where the magic happened in '97. It is a gorgeous working dairy farm and the opposite of a puppy mill. Just a side business.

I am nervous about getting a puppy, but there has been such a hole in our lives after our big dog passed in March. I could have put off getting a new dog, but my son, who goes off to college at the end of next year said: I want the new dog to be my dog too, if we wait , it'll be just your dog :(

I am all for going to the SPCA, absolutely and have adopted a lot of animals over the years ~ but I do love a lab and I guess I will always have one in my life. I would never get one from a Singapore import service or local pet shop. Never. Breeding has nothing to do with intelligence or more importantly 'heart'. That's up to you and your lucky stars.

Andy, if you are really serious, go to Australia and meet the parents and the breeder or wait until there was one for adoption. Be prepared to spend tons and tons of time training and socializing your dog.

Good luck.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:42 pm

hey there's a member here who posted about looking for owner for this lab ....maybe you want to consider that?? coz the dog is retiring from police work and will be put to sleep if he isnt adopted..

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic61152.html

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Sat, 20 Jun 2009 9:55 pm

Cheers for the replies all...

morenangpinay wrote:hey there's a member here who posted about looking for owner for this lab

Will follow up on, thanks morenangpinay...

road.not.taken wrote:Labs are yellow, not Golden.

I stand corrected, good to know road.not.taken – as you can tell, I am also new to this dog game...

sundaymorningstaple wrote:you need not use bold face type. It's considered rather rude.

Wow, apologies for that – my mistake. In all the forums I have used, moderated, and owned in the past I have never heard that one... Feel free to point me at any SingaporeExpats.com forum specific rules or FAQ’s so I don’t end up offending people?

Thanks,

Andy

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:13 am

AndyD wrote:Wow, apologies for that – my mistake. In all the forums I have used, moderated, and owned in the past I have never heard that one... Feel free to point me at any SingaporeExpats.com forum specific rules or FAQ’s so I don’t end up offending people?

ITS COMMON SENSE LIKE USING PUNCTUATION AND SMALL LETTERS INSTEAD OF ALL CAPS

SMS ABBRS OSO RL ANNOYING LOL WTF
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:13 am

Brilliant – I am now well and truly put in my place, oh the shame...

Anyway, back to the original Yellow Lab Puppy question… I have shown my interest on the other thread, visiting Australia may be an option but would be slightly longer term…

But, how about the pet store I visited that told me 3000 dollars for a pedigree, batches of 3 or 4 puppies arrived from Australia monthly, you pick your choice, if none you like then wait for the next month…

Does that sound like bad practise, and expensive – or is that about right?

Thanks

Andy.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:41 pm

Australia has lots of puppy mills. That's what we are talking about! Not just puppy mills here. Most, if not all, pet shops in Singapore get the dogs from puppy mills around the region. That's why I gave you the advice I did if you want a good pup. Otherwise, go to the SPCA and give a dog a home.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 1:34 pm

Oh I see, I see. I thought you meant Puppy Mill being local in country outfits – makes sense now…

Hmmm, Ok, seems visit the breeder, or adopt an unwanted, would be the best bet…

Thanks everyone…

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 2:59 pm

By the way – we are now the extremely proud new owners of a female Yellow Labrador… 10 weeks old… Mad as a hatter… Poo’s a hell of a lot… Is completely nocturnal… And is absolutely fan bloomin tastic…

Very exciting...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 4:03 pm

Congratulations, I hope you will treasure her. Especially once she become a full grown dog. My dogs were as dear to me as my children are.

sms

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 6:54 pm

Our little bundle is 8 weeks old! He's just fan~damn~tastic, a joy! Can't wait to get him settled in Singapore so he can meet other pets.

ImageImage

ImageImage

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 6:55 pm

Strange, why can't I fix the typo?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 8:38 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Strange, why can't I fix the typo?

Don't know but I have done it for you? :cool: