Singapore Expats Forum

EP Rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
riddick4u

EP Rejection

Postby riddick4u » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I am a professional working here in Singapore from last one year on EP(Q1). Recently I changed my employer and they applied for an EP for me. To my surprise MOM rejected my EP application !!

I could not understand why this could happen, it would be great if someone can point out, following is my credentials:

a) Monthly Salary 4.3k, minimum required for EP is 2.5k
b) Employer reputed MNC based in US/Canada.
c) Software Developer profile with 3+ years of experience, specialized product development work not usual IT support profile.
d) Education from reputed institute from india, the institute is being recognized by MoM and is also in the list of institute eligible for EPEC:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... html#India

I am really puzzled by this, can anyone tell me what could be the reason. My employer has filed an appeal and currently we are awaiting MOM reply, any idea what chances i have of success through this appeal ?

I would greatly appreciate any reply on this regard.

Thanks
Riddick

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 6:31 pm

Hi there,

sorry to hear about it being rejected. The reason why it was most likely rejected is that your employer should be able to fill this position with a local instead of a foreigner.

The points you listed only mean that you are eligable for an EP, but it doesn't mean you get it unless the employer can prove they couldn't fill the position with a local which in the current recession with higher unemployment is quite doubtful. You should have applied for PR first and then changed job.

riddick4u

Postby riddick4u » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 6:40 pm

thanks for the reply littlegreenmen, my PR is already in process, waiting for it to get approved, between my new employer has filed an appeal explaning the reason for hire, they have also posted a letter of recommendation from there Singapore Operation head, what do you think my chances are to get EP through this appeal, appreciate your reply...

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:44 pm

littlegreenman wrote:Hi there,

sorry to hear about it being rejected. The reason why it was most likely rejected is that your employer should be able to fill this position with a local instead of a foreigner.

The points you listed only mean that you are eligable for an EP, but it doesn't mean you get it unless the employer can prove they couldn't fill the position with a local which in the current recession with higher unemployment is quite doubtful. You should have applied for PR first and then changed job.

Have to agree this is most probably the reason you've been rejected, and why you would even consider changing jobs, firstly, if you haven't noticed there's a slight recession going on, and your PR application is ongoing!!

riddick4u

Postby riddick4u » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:52 pm

sometimes circumstances are not in your control .. so thats why i had to change anyways.... i would appreciate if you can enlighten me about the chances of getting success through an Appeal.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:56 pm

Saint wrote:Have to agree this is most probably the reason you've been rejected, and why you would even consider changing jobs, firstly, if you haven't noticed there's a slight recession going on, and your PR application is ongoing!!

True... further problem to consider...

I assume you applied under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers Scheme. If at any time throughout the process of your application you lose your EP status you application is considered cancelled as well (or at least that is how it used to be). So if you surrendered your EP already this means you can't complete your PR application and any sponsorship from your previous employer is invalid also.

riddick4u

Postby riddick4u » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:05 pm

littlegreenman, I still hold the EP from previous employer so as far as PR goes i don't worry about that for now, we only go ahead after receiving a new EP, I'm currently trying to Transfer my EP. Also officially i'm still on the payrolls of my previous employer, hope you get the picture.

My worry thus is more about EP and the appeal we filled, so my question is that does chances to get EP improve after an appeal or does it generally result in the same status.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:20 pm

riddick4u wrote:littlegreenman, I still hold the EP from previous employer so as far as PR goes i don't worry about that for now, we only go ahead after receiving a new EP, I'm currently trying to Transfer my EP. Also officially i'm still on the payrolls of my previous employer, hope you get the picture.

Phew! Good... keep it that way!

riddick4u wrote:My worry thus is more about EP and the appeal we filled, so my question is that does chances to get EP improve after an appeal or does it generally result in the same status.

You can try appealing, you have that right and who knows it might change the outcome. But to be honest, unless something was totally missed in your application that might not change much.

IMHO, this is a bad economic environment to "experiment" and you have your application for PR pending. I wouldn't risk anything and just lay down low until your PR is approved.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:02 am

Your new employer should file an appeal with additional information. I agree, chances are it is not your qualifications but the determination of MOM that the company could hire a local.

So, they need to come back with an appeal with some sort of special skill set you bring. Example: Multi-national experience in understanding product development. Or maybe, 3 years experience in international product development. Get it? Write up something that the typical Singaporean developer will not have done.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:05 am

riddick4u wrote:littlegreenman, I still hold the EP from previous employer so as far as PR goes i don't worry about that for now, we only go ahead after receiving a new EP, I'm currently trying to Transfer my EP. Also officially i'm still on the payrolls of my previous employer, hope you get the picture.

My worry thus is more about EP and the appeal we filled, so my question is that does chances to get EP improve after an appeal or does it generally result in the same status.

Sorry, but you cannot transfer an EP. When you change employers your old EP is cancelled and a new one has to be applied for. This is even true when shifting staff between related but separate companies (I know I have 5 companies and full 1/3 of my work force are foreigners).

If your new company cannot get the appeal through (and right now that is a very distinct possibility). You are going to be hoist by your own petard. What you are saying doesn't make too much sense to me.
sometimes circumstances are not in your control .. so thats why i had to change anyways....

You indicated that you had to leave your current company but on the other hand the old company is allowing you to keep your EP till you get a new one approved. Something doesn't quite fit. MOM may well be wondering as well as most would be hesitant to shift jobs to be the new kid in the company (which means your likelihood of getting the ax in a downsizing exercise would be even better). You also didn't give us any indication of how long you have been with your current employer.

sms

riddick4u

Postby riddick4u » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 1:00 pm

thanks all for the valuable comments, i'm now waiting for MOM to revert back, my employer has written a recommendation why they need a foreigner and what skill sets i bring to table, let us hope for the best...

kmtang

Postby kmtang » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 3:54 pm

Hi, i am currently in the same situation... have you got your ep and spr? rgds

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 4:57 pm

riddick4u wrote: Also officially i'm still on the payrolls of my previous employer, hope you get the picture.

do you mean that you have not officially resigned from the previous job?

you say "i recently changed my employee" but then you say "officially i'm still on the payrolls of my previous employer" which is confusing considering that once you present you resignation letter you employer must inform M.O.M within (i think) 7 days or they are fined...

what exactly officially means?
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.