Singapore Expats

Where to buy a small fridge

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Where to buy a small fridge

Post by ozchick » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 8:44 am

Is there such a thing as a very small fridge, say - like a microwave oven size? I've tried Best Denki and Paris Silk. They only have the bigger 'bar-fridge' size (about 40-50 cm square) We need a small fridge that will fit in our office and we only need to keep a few things in there. Anyone know if such a thing exists?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:03 am

I've also been looking for these, unsuccessfully. :???:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:42 am

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:58 am

Depend what you mean by fridge, there are small "cooler" which can do what it says cool things but they are no good for food stuff etc that require proper refrigeration, these cooler are available at carrefour etc. if you want a proper small fridge, as in can make ice, the smallest we found here are LG fridges about 50cmx40x40 we bought ours from the appliance joint in centrepoint on the top floor.

If you want really small compact fridges for the car etc, we had to get the ones designed for boats made by waeco. see http://www.waeco.com/en/252.php

Not cheap, as they are designed to be bashed around on a boat etc. so far the one in the car has lasted and keeps things very cold.

The last time I checked the agent for waeco is based in Malaysia, but they regularly come to Singapore for boat shows etc.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 8:50 pm

Hey some great stuff here sms and qrm . There are clearly fridges in the size I'm after. Yeah sms- E-bay may be the way! But WHERE did those dudes buy that stuff? Giant and Courts was mentioned so I could check that out. And qrm those waeco dudes even have a dishwasher! Whoo! A person could get really EXCITED now! Thank you guys- I'm onto it!
:)

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:26 am

Ooh! Should've qualified that I was not looking particularly hard :P
Looks nice otherwise, except for "Convenient-Plug Into Any 12 Volt Cigarette Lighter in Car"...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sat, 20 Jun 2009 5:07 am

Was going to be very troll like and say - At the Small Fridge Shop. However, I bought a Bar Fridge a while back from Harvey Norman in Parkway Parade.
Be Like Water

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Post by TommyD » Sat, 20 Jun 2009 9:37 am

i saw one at the oub centre at raffles, would fit maybe 4 cans of coke? it was at the store at the top of the escalator level 2 or 3.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:27 am

"i saw one at the oub centre at raffles, would fit maybe 4 cans of coke? it was at the store at the top of the escalator level 2 or 3. "

Sorry Tommy- so that's Raffles City yeah? And what oub? I'd like to check this out yeah?
Thanks
Oz

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 21 Jun 2009 1:15 pm

depends on the usage, I use a one, when i take samples out, it keeps them cold upto 8 hrs.

Although you do have to leave in the freezer overnight, but otherwise great for a day out, no plug in. and You can buy in most DIY outlets and camping. Think they are called fidges to go. All diffent sizes one size can keep 12 cans ice cold for 12 hrs.

Marine parade have them 3rd floor i think, or any other DIY outlet.. Found it http://www.fridge-to-go.com.sg/

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Jun 2009 2:21 pm

Hey ksl, I remember those. We had a automotive local clown who kept trying to flog them on the site a couple years ago, remember. They've been around for a while, but don't really solve the problem of needing to keep something cold in a office for several days as you still need a freezer to free the panels. But for the outdoor outing types those things are great.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 21 Jun 2009 8:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey ksl, I remember those. We had a automotive local clown who kept trying to flog them on the site a couple years ago, remember. They've been around for a while, but don't really solve the problem of needing to keep something cold in a office for several days as you still need a freezer to free the panels. But for the outdoor outing types those things are great.
That's right i remember him trying to advertise on the forum now, anyway i needed one for transporting cold sample's and it is very useful for 6 to 8 hrs in Singapore weather conditions, longer in European weather conditions.

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Post by TommyD » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 8:20 am

ozchick wrote:"i saw one at the oub centre at raffles, would fit maybe 4 cans of coke? it was at the store at the top of the escalator level 2 or 3. "

Sorry Tommy- so that's Raffles City yeah? And what oub? I'd like to check this out yeah?
Thanks
Oz
no, it's the oub building at Raffles Place, just as you exit the MRT station.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks Tommy D!

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Post by TommyD » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 1:31 pm

I dropped in again on my way home yesterday, it loos a bit expensive, it's $129. i took some pics on my phone, if you pm me your number i'll try to send them to you (i've never done it before though, so my technical abilities may not be up to the task!)