Singapore Expats Forum

Driving to Malaysia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Driving to Malaysia

Postby carolynW » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 7:49 pm

Am thinking of taking a driving tour to malaysia, up the east coast across the Karak highway) head north into Kedah, (maybe perlis) in July.

We may stay a few days at a few islands, has anyone done this with a singapore car? would there be safe parking etc.?

Anyone has done any of the kampung homestays or any recommendations on accomodations that they have tried? will go with 2 other women and 2 kids.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 7:51 pm

oops not karak highway but the northern one linking the northern states.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 7:29 pm

it's a long long way all the way to perlis and kedah. along the east coast, traffic are much easier and a more scenic drive (from singapore to JB to kuantan and beyond to kota bahru). there's some good kampung style hotels along the east coast and if you go further north, maybe goto pulau redang.

as for safety, i think it should be OK. just dont leave visible things inside the car, empty the glove box and open it when it is parked.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 8:25 pm

I used to do that route alot as a child so the language and areas are fine, but we were in a Malaysian plate car, not sure with a singapore plate car. I know at least for Sibu island they have secured parking, will go check hotels where we have to park our car in Marang (for pulay kapas) or the other places before going to perhentian or redang.

meiteoh

Postby meiteoh » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 5:40 am

I think it's a great idea - I did a similar road trip when I was a child during the school holidays and it was very enjoyable.

Do get an updated map of the highway and neighbouring towns/villages. You might be tempted to take the trunk roads but bear in mind that there will be few stops in between and accident rates are quite high along these stretches of roads.

Popular stops would be places like Mersing, KT and so forth where you can take a break, hop to some islands (although a day trip may seem "too" short for some islands) or just enjoy the local sights/food/views.

Do be careful when you're driving along the northern highway linking the east to west coast - it's notorious for thick fog/mist.

In terms of safety, the usual applies - don't leave any valuables in your car and don't put objects that may hint at any valuables (even sunglasses!!!) on display. There should be some places for you to park but worse come to worse, head off to the police station, and park there (that's what my dad did). :P

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 29 Jun 2009 9:32 am

Also look out for road signs that says 'road construction', especially when driving at night.