Singapore Expats Forum

Best University Experience in Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yaleryn

Best University Experience in Australia

Postby Yaleryn » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 3:57 pm

Heyya!

I recently graduated from Sp with a diploma in accountancy & Im planning to further my studies in Australia in a Bachelor in Commerce in 2010.

I have narrowed down my search to the following:
University of Sydney
University of New South Wales

Would be glad if anyone who is studying in these unis or have graduated from there could fill me in on how's the study and life experience. Experiences from other Aust Unis are welcome too!

(:

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 3:34 pm

lots of international students in UNSW...met people from all around the world..plenty of help from the international student service...met great friends from there...good coffee in the coffee cart in front of the library..

life experience was wonderful...

however, i didnt study commerce..so no comment for the study life...:)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 6:02 pm

Yaleryn - my wife is doing her PhD through Sydney Uni. Quite a better reputation IMHO for her PhD. Happy to talk about other universities in AUS (I was at Melbourne Uni). PM when you get the chance. HTH, Mr. P

[Edit: Clarification as per Vaucluse's suggestion]
Last edited by sierra2469alpha on Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Postby TommyD » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 9:02 am

I didn't go to either uni, but lived in Sydney for 27 years and studied at UTS (next to Sydney Uni).
As mentioned above, Sydney Uni has a far better reputation than UNSW, it also has a much nicer campus with better bars, better grounds and better location.

UNSW is still a good internationally recognised university, but Sydney Uni is kind of the Ivy League of Australian Uni's.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:31 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:Yaleryn - my wife is doing her PhD through Sydney Uni. Quite a better reputation IMHO. Happy to talk about other universities in AUS (I was at Melbourne Uni). PM when you get the chance. HTH, Mr. P

As a UNSW grad I should be biased but then I also went to Northwestern and SUNY at Stonybrook.

You are not quite correct in your assertion, sierra. Sydney Uni has its specialities, as does New South . . .

I did Commerce/Economics (I know . . . loser) at New South simply because it has a better department in that discipline.

The overseas student make-up at UNSW is close to 9000, out of app. 30.000 . . . many are from China, India, Korea, Malaysia, HK, Singapore . . .

The student associations are quite active in helping students integrate into the Uni as well as living environment.

(Plus UNSW is in a nicer area, close to the beaches and parks . . . Sydney Uni is in a high crime rate area of town . . Newtown, etc...)

'nuff said Image

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 1:46 pm

go go UNSW!

lol...

no matter how good is ANU...Canberra is boring:D sorry to those who are from Canberra;p

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 3:19 pm

sierra....... wrote:
[Edit: Clarification as per Vaucluse's suggestion]

Thou art too kind. :D

TommyD wrote:I didn't go to either uni, but lived in Sydney for 27 years and studied at UTS (next to Sydney Uni).
As mentioned above, Sydney Uni has a far better reputation than UNSW, it also has a much nicer campus with better bars, better grounds and better location.

UNSW is still a good internationally recognised university, but Sydney Uni is kind of the Ivy League of Australian Uni's.

UTS? :D Sydney Tech? :lol: Sorry, not meaning to be unkind

Please define better location.

Closer to the city and Chinatown? Yes.

Closer to high-crime areas like Newtown, Camperdown etc...? Yes

Parking problems? Yes

City smog? Yes

I'd still advise UNSW as internationally they are on par for prospective employers in Asia . . . and the lifestyle is much better.

UTS :lol: Sorry . . .

'nuff said Image

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Postby TommyD » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 4:29 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
TommyD wrote:I didn't go to either uni, but lived in Sydney for 27 years and studied at UTS (next to Sydney Uni).

UTS? :D Sydney Tech? :lol: Sorry, not meaning to be unkind

Please define better location.

Closer to the city and Chinatown? Yes.

Closer to high-crime areas like Newtown, Camperdown etc...? Yes

Parking problems? Yes

City smog? Yes

I'd still advise UNSW as internationally they are on par for prospective employers in Asia . . . and the lifestyle is much better.

UTS :lol: Sorry . . .

Vaucluse. . . hmm, name certainly fits.

I have no idea which university is better for accountancy, so i'll leave that arguement for others.

As for better location, I stand by my comment that Sydney Uni is better.
Better for public transport (no trains at UNSW and limited buses compared to Central),
Better for nightlife (no comparisson needed)
Better for proximity to the city (yes thats a good thing, there's not much but residential areas around UNSW)
And as said before it's grounds are definitely better than UNSW (i notice you didn't argue that point).
Also . . . i'm a bit of a Rugby fan and Sydney Uni has the Best Uni Rugby team in the country :D (does UNSW actually have a rugby team?)

Ummm, high crime area? . . truly spoken like someone from Vaucluse. Sorry, not meaning to be unkind. I lived and worked in the inner west and never saw this high crime.

UTS is not Sydney Tech, thats Ultimo Tafe around the corner, it's the University of Technology Sydney. The UTS Degree has the highest entrance requirement of a Project Management Degree in the country (and i won the university medal, so :P). We used to joke that UNSW & Macquarie were where you went if you didn't score high enough in year 12 to go to Sydney Uni or UTS :lol: (in fact i don't even think UNSW has a PM degree?) Then if you didn't score well enough to go to UNSW you went to Newcastle. :mrgreen:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 5:00 pm

TommyD wrote:Vaucluse. . . hmm, name certainly fits.
Ouch, that hurts. I can't be held responsible for my roots . .. had some good ones at Uni, though . . ahem . .

I have no idea which university is better for accountancy, so i'll leave that arguement for others.

As for better location, I stand by my comment that Sydney Uni is better.
Better for public transport (no trains at UNSW and limited buses compared to Central),

Anzac Parade has buses coming out of its nostrils, but no trains, no need as you can happily live close by. Randwick has a huge student population.

Better for nightlife (no comparisson needed)

Yes, agreed. You can also have your car stolen as you have a nice dinner on King Street

Better for proximity to the city (yes thats a good thing, there's not much but residential areas around UNSW)

Kingsford, mate. Best Greek food in town . . .

And as said before it's grounds are definitely better than UNSW (i notice you didn't argue that point).

I didn't argue the point because you are right. We used to have a great time sipping reds on deckchairs on the library lawn, though

Also . . . i'm a bit of a Rugby fan and Sydney Uni has the Best Uni Rugby team in the country :D (does UNSW actually have a rugby team?)

Point conceded, but we have Randwick!!!!!! Up the Ellas!!!! If Yalerin is a girl, she may not be that interested in rugby. Hmm, rugby boys on the other hand. No rugby team at UNSW? Slap! Formed 1949!

Ummm, high crime area? . . truly spoken like someone from Vaucluse.

It is, you have to admit that. The Inner west is rife with it and Glebe was close to top spot for that, can't remember the other suburb's position

Sorry, not meaning to be unkind. I lived and worked in the inner west and never saw this high crime.

UTS is not Sydney Tech, thats Ultimo Tafe around the corner, it's the University of Technology Sydney.
:wink:

What was UTS just a few years ago???? :) Different name and different designation, I believe.

Anyway, just having a bit of a go.

'nuff said Image

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 5:30 pm

i did engineering, so
http://www.universityportal.net/2007/09 ... ering.html

they said UNSW the best for ENG in aussie...

as for "in general"..unfortunately..ANU is no.1...and Unimelb n Usyd..hmmm

heard that australian school of business of UNSW is good though:)

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Best University Experience in Australia

Postby taxico » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 5:48 pm

Yaleryn wrote:Heyya!

I recently graduated from Sp with a diploma in accountancy & Im planning to further my studies in Australia...

don't do it!

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Postby TommyD » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 6:04 pm

hihi, this is getting good! lets start with NRL teams. . . Up the mighty Tigers!!!!!

I think you'd be happy at either UNSW or Sydney Uni, ANU may be ranked high, but my guess is thats because only the hardcore students are willing to live in Canberra for a better degree. It probably depends what kind of lifestyle you're after, relaxed with beaches and stuff then UNSW, party and nightlife, then Syd U. Or if you prefer being locked in a stuffy concrete box, then UTS :lol:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 9:01 pm

^ Brilliant summation, TommyD.

I'm not much of a League man, but Easts were Easts and you simply had to support them up at Bondi Junction . . . member and all.

Still, can't beat the Tigers (Balmain!!!) in their day with Blocker and the boys.

Ah, Sterlo, Blocker, Fatty and the rest of them . . . a good time for the NRL. Now it's just a joke.

The topic? Sorry.

Yes, TommyD sums it up nicely. Whatever you do: do NOT go to ANU, you will be bored shi!less.

'nuff said Image

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Postby amiee40 » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 9:50 pm

Why just universities in Sydney? Any particular reason?

I went to Melb Uni and completed the Bachelor of Commerce. Highly reputable. Ranked number 17 in the world at the moment. Other university in Victoria such RMIT, Monash and Deakin also offer great accounting/commerce syllabus.

Before deciding which university you would like to attend in Australia, have you looked at all the admission requirements? International student tuition fees are not cheap and also need to consider accommodation, private health insurance requirement and living expenses.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 8:36 am

because its nicer to live in sydney than melbourne:)

oops...am not starting sydney vs melb war ....