Singapore Expats

Help settle an argument

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Help settle an argument

Post by ozchick » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:57 am

PLEASE just tell me this.
We have a dishwasher but rather than put each dish separately into the machine DURING a meal, the dishes are put into it at the END of the meal when there no more glasses or plates etc to come.
QUESTION: When each glass, bowl, plate etc has been used but NOT YET deposited in dishwasher, WHERE do you put it? (Leaving it on the table isn't an option.)

I hereby pre-empt rude suggestions about where to put things.
I'd greatly appreciate your responses 'cos if I don't get to say "SEE?!" real soon, then this constant argument is gonna get the better of me ! :twisted:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:03 am

Put them in the dishwasher. Having a staging area does not make sense.

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Post by TommyD » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 1:15 pm

stick em up ya clacker.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 1:52 pm

stack 'em in the sink until dinner is over. Then put the lot in at one time. Saves constant latching & unlatching & readjusting the load as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 2:28 pm

Almost always have put them straight into the machine until the machine is sufficiently full to start the wash. Also depends what you are eating, some may need to be rinsed before going in the machine otherwise they dry out, and it may be diffiult to wash them.

Never left on the table though!

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 3:07 pm

Somehow, I don't think the dishes are the real issue here. It seems to me to be one of those "do it my way scenarios" that husbands and wives (and all new age variations)" have to put up with. The number of times I have been told how I should be doing this or that. End result is the same - dishes get washed, who cares about the middle bit...... other than my wife that is :)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 6:02 pm

So many people with dish washers?

It doesn't matter how you put them in as far as i'm concerned cause its still wasteful to the environment either way ;) For us its half a sink of hot water, half of cold and a little detergent ;)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 6:14 pm

The right dishwasher is much more efficient than handwashing. The Fisher & Paykel drawer unit for example is not only water efficient, but energy efficient as well.

Ozchick, surely you mean during the preparation of the meal and not DURING the meal itself? This argument has already gotten the better of you, has it not? :)

It reminds me of the old joke: if a man empties a dishwasher and a woman isn't there to see it, does it still count?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:49 pm

Oz chick...stop being a cheap skate and just get a maid !!! OK she might end up screwing your hubby but heh thats a small price to pay for your dishwasher issues. ARe you kidding me ( us) you post a "dish washer stacking" issue

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Post by AngMoKio » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:51 pm

On a related note I recently learned that dish washing detergent is designed to be used on dishes that are not pre-washed. The debris actually acts to neutralize the detergent and do pre-wash actually can lead to dishwasher problems due to detergent build up. Several detergent and dishwasher manufacturers say so.

Strange but true.

Sadly, I only know this because I lost a stupid bet.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 4:35 am

Smash them in the fireplace.
Be Like Water

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:39 am

Hard-hitting topics now populate this forum . . . careful, some topics may be bordering on the seditious . . . like this one.

Sink

or swim . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:46 am

road.not.taken wrote:The right dishwasher is much more efficient than handwashing. The Fisher & Paykel drawer unit for example is not only water efficient, but energy efficient as well.

Even a small unit uses more than 2-gallons of water for a simple wash, about 9L.

A hand wash with a kettle of water is probably half this. Then there is the electric, to heat up 1-1.5L of water in a kettle for just 5-min compared to however long the dishwasher program is.

Unless there are numbers to counter that...... and how these "efficiencies" counter the additional purchase price of the dryer and the resources taken to produce it, the the only arguement for one is convenience, definately not environmental.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:04 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:A hand wash with a kettle of water is probably half this. Then there is the electric, to heat up 1-1.5L of water in a kettle for just 5-min compared to however long the dishwasher program is.
You heat water for washing dishes? I've found this totally unnecessary, given that "room temperature" in Sg already translates to 30+ deg C...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 1:16 pm

jpatokal wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:A hand wash with a kettle of water is probably half this. Then there is the electric, to heat up 1-1.5L of water in a kettle for just 5-min compared to however long the dishwasher program is.
You heat water for washing dishes? I've found this totally unnecessary, given that "room temperature" in Sg already translates to 30+ deg C...

Yes, its better at eating through..... well, melting, any grease or fat on the pans. On normal plates and cutlery room temperature is fine provided they are at least rinsed quickly and not left to go hard, which is why i only use hot water when i have to do pots and frying pans etc. and again depending on what was cooked.

It might not help that my pan is nearly 15-yrs old and lost virtually all non-stick properties so it might be time to say it's outlived its efficiency even though, other than that its still in great condition.
Last edited by ScoobyDoes on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.