Singapore Expats

Help settle an argument

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 2:51 pm

I haven't used hot water for washing dishes for the last 25 years. Dishes are always clean and family is healthy as can be. Not sure why that is, as I grew up using hot water (in the US) but now, the only benefit of using hot water that I can see (in the US) as it keeps your hands warm when doing dishes in the winter cause the water is bloody cold. Here, though, as JP mentions, it's already 28° C so that's not a problem and the local cheap detergent at 3.99 per 5 l jug is cheap as well. (course I don't use a dishwasher - can't see wasting the energy to do something that only takes a few minutes anyway. Of course I'm not a enery saving freak though I do use a washing machine AND a dryer (when it's overcast/raining)

Each to their own I guess. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 5:06 pm

road.not.taken wrote:The right dishwasher is much more efficient than handwashing. The Fisher & Paykel drawer unit for example is not only water efficient, but energy efficient as well.

Ozchick, surely you mean during the preparation of the meal and not DURING the meal itself? This argument has already gotten the better of you, has it not? :)

It reminds me of the old joke: if a man empties a dishwasher and a woman isn't there to see it, does it still count?
I don't think that is possible RNT. Nevemind the actual energy usage of the machine itself (motor and heater), there is the energy costs to create and transport it.

Reminds me of the old joke: If a man is alone in the forest and there is no woman around, is he still wrong?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:03 pm

Go native, use banana leaves and fingers, drink coconuts problem solved.

While on the subject of dishwasher my wife washes the dishes first in the sink then sticks them in the dish washer which if you ask me is daft, but house rule No.1 Kitchen and what goes on inside is out of bounds to men, blokes are only allowed in when something doesnt work.

While my broom cupboard is my sole kingdom, women only allowed in to pick up vacuum cleaner etc. (after knocking)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:22 pm

If you google: 'energy efficient hand washing dishwasher' you'll come up with a lot of websites with a lot of answers. From what I have read and reseached when I bought my last dishwasher: the prevailing wisdom is that if you are using the right dishwasher in the right way ~ it can use much less energy and water than handwashing the same amount of items.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:26 pm

road.not.taken wrote:If you google: 'energy efficient hand washing dishwasher' you'll come up with a lot of websites with a lot of answers. From what I have read and reseached when I bought my last dishwasher: the prevailing wisdom is that if you are using the right dishwasher in the right way ~ it can use much less energy and water than handwashing the same amount of items.
Tree huggers woud say it doesn't put into the equation the making, transporting and eventually disposing of the unit.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:49 pm

Correct QRM, but this could be debated ad nauseum. If I am washing plates made locally vs. the plates made in England, then the equation gets thrown off yet again... My only point is that modern dishwashers are much kinder to the environment than most people realize, and when used properly can be more energy efficient than handwashing.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 7:19 pm

Sigh....WELL I GIVE UP!!

Only one of you said what I wanted to hear :cry:
Thanks SMS! I wanted to hear that one should put the dishes in the sink until the entire meal is over and THEN load the lot into the dishwasher.
What I didn't want to hear is what my other half insists we do. That is-
'sit them ON the bench above the dishwasher until one gets around to loading it, even if this means several hours later'. I just get really mad about this and don't know ANYONE who would DO this...sigh...so the stalemate continues. And for the record. I don't need a dishwasher. It seems to be a Scandinavian thing....I mean I've always had one but that's because in Oz they come standard in most kitchens. My sweet man had to go out and buy one here in Sg, ask permission from the landlord to install it which we did and when we move out next month, it's coming with us to be installed in the new apartment. Mm....and did you know that "nothing gets cleaned as well as it does in the dishwasher"...sigh.....
Anyway, at least I don't have to worry about another woman in his life.... he and DW have got a real thing happenin' here! When he hears it starting up- Jeezaloo does HE look happy !! As for the waste of water, well yeah coming from Oz you guys can imagine the blues we have about this....let's not go there..... :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 7:27 pm

ozchick wrote:Sigh....WELL I GIVE UP!!

Thanks SMS! I wanted to hear that one should put the dishes in the sink until the entire meal is over and THEN load the lot into the dishwasher.
'sit them ON the bench above the dishwasher until one gets around to loading it, even if this means several hours later'. I just get really mad about this and don't know ANYONE who would DO this...sigh...so the stalemate continues. And for the record. I don't need a dishwasher. It seems to be a Scandinavian thing....I mean I've always had one but that's because in Oz they come standard in most kitchens. My sweet man had to go out and buy one here in Sg, ask permission from the landlord to install it which we did and when we move out next month, it's coming with us to be installed in the new apartment. Mm....and did you know that "nothing gets cleaned as well as it does in the dishwasher"...sigh.....
Anyway, at least I don't have to worry about another woman in his life.... he and DW have got a real thing happenin' here! When he hears it starting up- Jeezaloo does HE look happy !! As for the waste of water, well yeah coming from Oz you guys can imagine the blues we have about this....let's not go there..... :-|
Get a couple of roaches and next time he piles the plates up, chuck the roaches on them and call him into the kitchen and show him. I would have to say just to leave them in the tropics is a bit grim, ether put them in the sink and rinse it to make less roach attractive, or stick them straight into the washer most dish washers have a rinse cycle for this very situation.

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 7:39 pm

hehehehe - its one of those things that guys could give a s**t about but really p**ses the wife (or significant other for all you new age people) off.
Right up there with the toilet seat, towels on the floor and getting caught shagging the maid. Women - I'll never understand them.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:10 pm

Only one of you said what I wanted to hear
:P So when is the big day? ha!

Seriously different cultures do it different ways, Scandinavia normally do it as your other half suggests. To be honest they do have a much better system than Brits and probably Aussies too, when it comes to washing dishes, depends on how well you have been trained.

Example on my arrival in Denmark, was a washing up lesson, all the stacked on the side next to the wash basin, and really it's an art although this would not be the dishwasher.

So I would suggest asking the other half if he as a system for doing it by hand, guaranteed he he does have a system. and that probably covers the forks going with forks and small spoons only with small spoons, and so on. The UK have no idea at all of system or organisation in the majority of households, to make life easier and cheaper.

They waste everything, the majority that is and i myself cut cut a households costs, by a great deal of money, because i have also learnt all the eco friendly ways the last 30 years of my life, and really you will not get more eco friendlier in the whole world, than Scandinavia! The supreme race, clever, innovative and more democratic, than any other Country in the world.

They deserve to be honoured without a doubt! :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:14 pm

rattlesnake wrote:

hehehehe - its one of those things that guys could give a s**t about but really p**ses the wife (or significant other for all you new age people) off.
Right up there with the toilet seat, towels on the floor and getting caught shagging the maid. Women - I'll never understand them.
That's probably why you will never have one! :P You sound too much like my old mate, but never mind he pays 300£ a time :shock: I really couldn't believe it but he says he finds, it cheaper than having a woman :evil: It just goes to show how egos, get deflated when they get older. My mate has never lived with anyone since 1987 and he still believes he's gods gift to women, yet hates the bitches...yes his own words not mine, i really enjoyed doing the psychological profiling.